Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10.1 Youth Advisory Committee

Blog Entries

My thoughts:

1. Committee Chair. I would be in favour of the Committee Chair being selected by the Executive, to maximize the ability of the two groups to work together.

2. I think a staggered term like the Chess Foundation would work. Maybe a one year position and 6 rotating three year positions. So each year three new people could come on board.

3. Regulations for the CYCC for example. Policy on selecting official qualifiers for various events. Assisting Youth Co-ordinator or ExD in contacting parents and disseminating information when needed.

4. Semi-permanent.

5. Reports to the Executive through the Youth Co-ordinator.

I am not wedded to any particular formula other than insisting that the chair does need to be a member not merely the parent of one. (For Fred's stated reasons - we need somebody who can effectively interact with the Exec and Assembly)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    My thoughts:

1. Committee Chair. I would be in favour of the Committee Chair being selected by the Executive, to maximize the ability of the two groups to work together.
    I disagree with this point. i feel the Committee chair be elected by the members of the Committee, with the Executive casting the deciding vote for chair only in the event of a tie. The committee should show evidence of independence from the executive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    In most advisory committees I've seen (and I have been appointed by our municipal council 4 times for terms ranging from 1 - 3 years with the option of a second term renewal) there is always a range of #'s of members

Other things I would expect to see in the terms of reference?

- how the committee chair is chosen (e.g. by the CFC president? the executive, the national junior coordinator or by the members themselves),

- In the municipal committees I've served on, residency is usually a condition of membership. In our case does one have to be a member? If not, is requiring a member to be the parent of a junior member ok? In my opinion we shouldn't require full membership BUT I would definitely insist the committee chair be a CFC member

- how long do they serve for? (i.e. at the pleasure of the national executive? A fixed term?

- what topics are they expected to advise the Executive or VM Assembly on?

- Is this to be considered a permanent committee or a temporary task force? (I've served on both types)

- It's probably obvious but I would put in a phrase saying 'since this is a national committee which is intended to do its business by e-mail, a regular e-mail connection is a condition of membership'

- who does the committee report to and how? (president? jr coordinator? VM Assembly?)

- I would require committee members to agree that their deliberations be confidential except when reporting to the president / jr coordinator / executive / VM Assembly or whomever we decide - we SPECIFICALLY don't want ideas floated to the committee to be published on ChessTalk or other venues. In case anybody's unclear on the concept this is a CFC COMMITTEE. (emphasis intended)

I don't want to get overly bureaucratic here but I think all of the above are terms needing a consensus of the VMs.
    My thoughts:

1. CFC Youth Coordinator should be the Committee Chair.

2. Provincial Youth Coordinators should be the Committee members, as well as other people involved in Canadian youth chess in some capacity. CFC membership is desirable, but not mandatory - for example, such people as Andrei Botez and Gergely Szabo could be the Committee members.

3. The term should be from Annual Meeting to next Annual Meeting - like other CFC Committees.

4. The Committee should discuss and prepare recommendations on all issues related to Canadian youth chess: Regulations for the CYCC, Policy on selecting official qualifiers, coaches and other delegation officials for various events, Organizing Youth events, and so on...

5. The Committee should use separate permanent private forum for it's work.

6. The Committee should report to VM Assembly through the Youth Co-ordinator.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

The committee should work with the youth coordinator. It cannot be independent. The whole point of the committee is to advise on youth matters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    My thoughts:

1. CFC Youth Coordinator should be the Committee Chair.

2. Provincial Youth Coordinators should be the Committee members, as well as other people involved in Canadian youth chess in some capacity. CFC membership is desirable, but not mandatory - for example, such people as Andrei Botez and Gergely Szabo could be the Committee members.
    We already communicate with provincial youth coordinators where they exist fairly regularly. There would be some serious conflicts of interest in that case. You cannot delegate authority to non-members.

4. The Committee should discuss and prepare recommendations on all issues related to Canadian youth chess: Regulations for the CYCC, Policy on selecting official qualifiers, coaches and other delegation officials for various events, Organizing Youth events, and so on...
    You cannot delegate such authority to non-members. It would be a breach of fiduciary duty.

5. The Committee should use separate permanent private forum for it's work.

6. The Committee should report to VM Assembly through the Youth Co-ordinator.
    The point of setting up a committee is to get things done and not to create a bureaucracy.

Blog Entries

As this is a policy advisory committee, I don't think the youth Co-ordinator has to be Chairman, as they are already busy on the Operations side of things, they can be a non-voting committee member - UNLESS they want more involvement.

It may be that members will have to be CFC members. Vlad would be the best authority on that.

I think a committee of 5-7 is sufficient.

I fail to understand why the purpose of the committee (to advise the executive and youth coordinator on youth matters) means that the Committee chair must be selected by the Executive.

In our federal government, committee chairs are elected by the members of the committee. See http://www.parl.gc.ca/About/House/Co...ittees-e.htm#5

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We already communicate with provincial youth coordinators where they exist fairly regularly. There would be some serious conflicts of interest in that case. You cannot delegate authority to non-members.
    You cannot delegate such authority to non-members. It would be a breach of fiduciary duty.
    The point of setting up a committee is to get things done and not to create a bureaucracy.
    Now I'm getting mixed signals. Are we discussing a committee that ADVISES the executive on policy and actions, or one that EXECUTES policies and actions on behalf of the executive? One that ADVISES has no "authority" to speak of. The executive make the final decisions.

Let's start over. What are we expecting a "Youth Committee" committee to do? I understood it to be an advisory committee, as Michael Barron described.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    Now I'm getting mixed signals. Are we discussing a committee that ADVISES the executive on policy and actions, or one that EXECUTES policies and actions on behalf of the executive? One that ADVISES has no "authority" to speak of. The executive make the final decisions.

Let's start over. What are we expecting a "Youth Committee" committee to do? I understood it to be an advisory committee, as Michael Barron described.
    It's advisory only. I think Vlad has some concerns with non-CFC members being on the Committee.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast