Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10.1 Youth Advisory Committee

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default 10.1 Youth Advisory Committee

10.1 Youth Advisory Committee

This has been discussed both on CT and by the Executive. I'm looking forward to a lively discussion.

My opinion is that he YAC would be advisory and work on Youth policy and be available to assist the Youth Co-ordinator, Executive Director, and President in mobilizing and contacting and providing a nation-wide network for our young players as needed.

My two cents worth.

Blog Entries

I spoke to various parents at CYCC and NAYCC who indicated that they would be willing to serve on such a committee if it was clearly mandated with an advisory role with clearly defined objectives and terms of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I spoke to various parents at CYCC and NAYCC who indicated that they would be willing to serve on such a committee if it was clearly mandated with an advisory role with clearly defined objectives and terms of reference.
    Thank you, Vlad!
    That's exactly what we need!
    Could you please elaborate:
    what you understand as "clearly defined objectives and terms of reference"?
    Could you please word a Motion what you would be willing to support?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Vlad!
    That's exactly what we need!
    Could you please elaborate:
    what you understand as "clearly defined objectives and terms of reference"?
    Could you please word a Motion what you would be willing to support?
    I don't think we need a motion to establish a youth committee. I would see such a committee being composed of persons interested in youth chess who are organizers and possibly parents and coaches. There has been concerns by members of the executive that youth chess absorbs a great deal of our time and effort and we can't really afford to increase the volume of either. We also have to remain NFP compliant so the committee cannot make financial decisions though they can provide advice on what they would like to see.

I think in the last few years we have shown that we are willing to spend what we raise from youth chess on youth chess. At times we have some challenges with certain individuals who have somewhat irrational expectations of what we can do for their child in particular. We are working with a limited budget and cannot offer funding to everyone who asks for it however much we wish we could.

I am very supportive of such an advisory committee and do think input from parents and coaches is extremely helpful. I'd definitely like to hear from provincial junior coordinators (many of which are CFC voting members) as they have a wealth of experience that needs to be pooled. Legally the executive cannot delegate financial authority which I think is what Vlad meant when referring to NFP (for the benefit of newcomers that's the new Not For Profit organizations act brought in in 2014 as a condition of retaining our federal charter. This consumed a lot of our time as all federally chartered non-profits like the CFC had to adapt our bylaws to the requirements of the new Act which we did well before the deadline)

As he says we will never have unlimited resources but are committed to seeking the best results possible for as many as possible.

I like the idea for this committee - as always the details are the hard part.

Thank you, Vlad and Lyle, for your comments!
    The question is:
    How could we move forward?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Vlad and Lyle, for your comments!
    The question is:
    How could we move forward?
    It is our intention to move forward and establish an advisory youth committee. I believe that we can have a functioning committee before the next quarterly meeting.

Good news indeed. Do we have a concept on the number of members on the committee and its structure? How does one join?

In most advisory committees I've seen (and I have been appointed by our municipal council 4 times for terms ranging from 1 - 3 years with the option of a second term renewal) there is always a range of #'s of members

Other things I would expect to see in the terms of reference?

- how the committee chair is chosen (e.g. by the CFC president? the executive, the national junior coordinator or by the members themselves),

- In the municipal committees I've served on, residency is usually a condition of membership. In our case does one have to be a member? If not, is requiring a member to be the parent of a junior member ok? In my opinion we shouldn't require full membership BUT I would definitely insist the committee chair be a CFC member

- how long do they serve for? (i.e. at the pleasure of the national executive? A fixed term?

- what topics are they expected to advise the Executive or VM Assembly on?

- Is this to be considered a permanent committee or a temporary task force? (I've served on both types)

- It's probably obvious but I would put in a phrase saying 'since this is a national committee which is intended to do its business by e-mail, a regular e-mail connection is a condition of membership'

- who does the committee report to and how? (president? jr coordinator? VM Assembly?)

- I would require committee members to agree that their deliberations be confidential except when reporting to the president / jr coordinator / executive / VM Assembly or whomever we decide - we SPECIFICALLY don't want ideas floated to the committee to be published on ChessTalk or other venues. In case anybody's unclear on the concept this is a CFC COMMITTEE. (emphasis intended)

I don't want to get overly bureaucratic here but I think all of the above are terms needing a consensus of the VMs.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-22-2016 at 11:57 PM.

I would think that these are all conditions that can be agreed to. I would support these items in the ToR.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast