Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5A-6 Discussion Item: Delays in Affiliate Rebates

Hybrid View

Default 5A-6 Discussion Item: Delays in Affiliate Rebates

(item requested by Ilia Bluvshtein)

A few days ago I requested to include this item to the agenda because OCA did not receive provincial rebates for 2015. Yesterday Bob Gillanders notified me that the cheque is in the mail...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilia Bluvshtein View Post
    A few days ago I requested to include this item to the agenda because OCA did not receive provincial rebates for 2015. Yesterday Bob Gillanders notified me that the cheque is in the mail...
    As a Regional VP in Ontario (EOCA President), I support Ilia in driving this conversation. This chasing of our rebates is a continual frustration. Why can't it be smooth?!

Default From the CFC Handbook:

From the CFC Handbook:
    http://chess.ca/handbook#financeprovorg

"FINANCE PROVINCIAL ORGANIZATION:

COLLECTION AND COUNTING

1. Either of two methods of collecting fees may be used:

a) Both Provincial and CFC fees are sent directly to the CFC Business Office. Every three months the CFC Executive Director will remit fees due to the Provincial Associations, together with the names of members whose fees have been collected."

Is there any reason why the CFC Executive Director can't remit fees due to the Provincial Associations every February, May, August and November?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

I was formerly Treasurer of the BC Chess Federation and in the 10+ years I was receiving funds from the CFC was only once more than two weeks late and generally didn't have to remind them.

Sorry to hear there was a problem, glad to hear it's resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I was formerly Treasurer of the BC Chess Federation and in the 10+ years I was receiving funds from the CFC was only once more than two weeks late and generally didn't have to remind them.

Sorry to hear there was a problem, glad to hear it's resolved.
    I don't think it's been resolved. For years now the 4 Ontario League Presidents/Treasurers keep having to chase the OCA President/Treasurer to chase the CFC. Off the top of my head, I don't recall exactly how many years I've been the EOCA President, with Bill as our Treasurer, but we have NEVER received a rebate any time less than very late.

While I don't want to get into Ontario internal affairs I would expect this would be a top priority within the OCA.

One suggestion though: have the Ontario leagues ever put together an agreed working formula for what postal codes correspond to which leagues?

This way an Ontario spreadsheet (basically the TD list with addresses which the Office will provide on request) can be provided to the OCA which can be run determining whose membership dues should be allocated to which league. The leagues aren't CFC affiliates the OCA is so however the OCA chooses to distribute their rebates isn't a CFC matter. But definitely assembling a mutually agreed formula based on postal code would accomplish the task with a minimum of rancor and if you guys haven't already worked it out, I'd urge it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    While I don't want to get into Ontario internal affairs I would expect this would be a top priority within the OCA.

One suggestion though: have the Ontario leagues ever put together an agreed working formula for what postal codes correspond to which leagues?

This way an Ontario spreadsheet (basically the TD list with addresses which the Office will provide on request) can be provided to the OCA which can be run determining whose membership dues should be allocated to which league. The leagues aren't CFC affiliates the OCA is so however the OCA chooses to distribute their rebates isn't a CFC matter. But definitely assembling a mutually agreed formula based on postal code would accomplish the task with a minimum of rancor and if you guys haven't already worked it out, I'd urge it to you.
    Lyle, no need for you to get involved here. We have a process in place to allocate memberships between the leagues that has run smoothly for the past 2 years. It begins with myself generating a spreadsheet with names and towns. It is shared with league representatives and we all come to an agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I don't think it's been resolved. For years now the 4 Ontario League Presidents/Treasurers keep having to chase the OCA President/Treasurer to chase the CFC. Off the top of my head, I don't recall exactly how many years I've been the EOCA President, with Bill as our Treasurer, but we have NEVER received a rebate any time less than very late.

Aris, yes this has been a problem in the past. With two levels of administration, a time lag should be anticipated. But, yes, execution has been less than acceptable. The most recent delay in the OCA cheque is my fault. It was processed last November but then I misplaced it before getting it in the mail. We will try and avoid such errors in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    From the CFC Handbook:
    http://chess.ca/handbook#financeprovorg

Is there any reason why the CFC Executive Director can't remit fees due to the Provincial Associations every February, May, August and November?
    We can do that, but i have always felt semi-annual payments were sufficient.
    If the executive so instructs me, we will do quarterly payments!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast