Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5A-2 Discussion Item: FQE bid for 2018 CYCC/Canadian Open

Very thoughtful to consider a contribution to the Kalev Pugi Fund from the CYCC.
    I hope to play in the 2018 Quebec City Canadian Open. I do not have a problem awarding these events now. The organizers have gone through a great deal of effort and need some certainty to proceed.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

We did hear previously from Alberta that they would be bidding on these events or at least on the Canadian Open.

Can we ask the Executive to set a deadline for competing bids and approve the FQE bid if no proposals are received.

We can vote if other bids are received.

ON THE REGISTRATION SYSTEM

We will worked with QVC Quebec City which is a bureau associated with the Quebec Convention Center to adapt there integrated registration system. That means that any registration for the CYCC and the CDN OPEN will be double checked : correct amount for the entry fee and expiry date for the CFC membership.
    The system can also register people/players for extra activities. People can even buy there flight ticket on this platform. One window for all the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    Can we ask the Executive to set a deadline for competing bids and approve the FQE bid if no proposals are received.

I agree with Halldor's proposal regarding CYCC/CO bids. I believe the deadline used to be the previous year's AGM. I propose that we now make it the 2-years-before AGM.

As an aside, in my opinion, another problem with voting at THIS meeting is that it was previously announced that there would not be any voting at this meeting. Maybe it's just me, but since that announcement, there seems to be less attendance and participation than usual, when more people are getting involved in preparation for voting.

Blog Entries

I have one question only regarding the bid presented: is this the best deal money wise we can get for those hotel rooms? I have never been to Quebec City yet and my knowledge of the room rates could need an update since the rates listed seemed high to me.
    Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 03-18-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

ON THE HOTELS : DELTA SITE OF THE TOURNAMENT

It's the best deal for a 4 star hotel. But people are not forced to stay at the hotel of the tournament. There is 4 hotels at five minutes walking distance. See page 39 of the PDF document.

But remember : a remittance of 10$ per night goes to the organizers for the DELTA.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I agree with Halldor's proposal regarding CYCC/CO bids. I believe the deadline used to be the previous year's AGM. I propose that we now make it the 2-years-before AGM.

As an aside, in my opinion, another problem with voting at THIS meeting is that it was previously announced that there would not be any voting at this meeting. Maybe it's just me, but since that announcement, there seems to be less attendance and participation than usual, when more people are getting involved in preparation for voting.
    Anything involving votes of the voting members under the NFP act now requires proper notifications which means three weeks ahead of the vote. We only learned of the bids a few days before the meeting. The normal practice is that bids are received at the AGM. This rule was created when there were no quarterly meetings. In fact, when there are two competing bids according to the handbook then they should not be voted on at the AGM but through a governors letter presumably to include all governors in the decision as previously the AGM held at the Canadian Open might include only a small subset of the governors. Given that the meetings are now online and everyone has the opportunity to vote at the AGM and the quarterly meetings we can probably dispense with this idea.

We were previously notified that Alberta intended to bid for the 2018 Canadian Open and had some significant financing available. I believe that we will need to contact them to see where they are with this possible bid. That said, I would hate to lose the Quebec City bid and then have no bidders for 2018. If there is only one party bidding then normally it is a decision for the executive which also has more flexible rules with respect to voting and decision making so we could accommodate the March 31st deadline if it is a hard deadline.

The AGM will most likely be held in August (after this year's NAYCC) as it was last year. We could have a special meeting in three weeks to deal with this question if it turns out that there are two or more bidders.

I think it is a very good thing if we can start getting these events nailed down three or even more years in advance. This will avoid the situation of 2015 where the Canadian Open was not held.

I have been somewhat distracted from this meeting as the result of a somewhat catastrophic (for my car) accident which occurred this past Monday. Adding the required interactions with police, insurance, auto body shop etc. has not done my available time any favours.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post

I will confer with the executive and set a reasonable deadline before the end of this meeting.

This is reasonable. The organizers (FQE, Quebec Convention Center and City of Quebec) hopes that the CFC arrives at a decision no latter then March 31st. A lot of work has been done on this BID including an inspection from me in Quebec City during 3 days for the visit of 8 hotels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast