Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5A-2 Discussion Item: FQE bid for 2018 CYCC/Canadian Open

Default 5A-2 Discussion Item: FQE bid for 2018 CYCC/Canadian Open

(discussion requested by Richard Bérubé )
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 03-13-2016 at 12:06 AM.

Hi !

We are ready to present the BID for the CYCC 2018 and Canadian Open 2018.
    The twin project is a partership between the FQE, the Quebec City Convention Center, the City of Quebec and hopefully, the CFC.

The BID document is divided into 7 sections :

1) Letters of support
    2) The Local host
    3) The destination : Quebec City
    4) Proposed Hotels and facilities
    5) Optional activities
    6) Budget and Fundraising potential
    7) Great Interest for the WYCC 2018

Some additionnal notes :
    - The document contains 53 pages (PDF) including a letter from the Quebec Prime Minister to Mr Lyle Craver.
    - The sections and elements are open for argumentation.
    - A donation to the Kalev Pugi fund is budgeted.
    - There is fundraising possibilities for the Federations.
    - We would like the BID to be voted soon (before march 31st) for the reason that two years is just ok to prepare important events.
    - Also A Quebec City delegation will go to the Sport Accord Convention this april to open discussions with FIDE about the WYCC 2018. The CYCC is an important spring board.
    - The sections and Prizes distribution of the Canadian Open are not decided for the moment. We want some tips from CFC Governors and chess amateurs before doing that. A unique section, or multiple sections ?
    - The Quebec Open and Canadian Open will be two different tournaments at different dates.

Here is the link for the BID document : CYCC and Canadian Open

http://64.18.189.74/positionnement_E..._FINAL2_LR.pdf

If you have any problems with the link, let me know.

Richard Bérubé

Here is a letter from Mr. Marc Magny from The Quebec City Convention Center

It’ s with enthusiasm that I am providing you today our proposal to host those two great events here in Québec city :

• Canadian Youth Chess Championship 2018 (CYCC 2018)
    • Canadian Open Chess Championship 2018 (COCC)

2016 (Windsor) and 2017 (Sault Ste Marie) will precede a unique Chess Championship Experience in 2018 … Quebec City ! Fiftieth anniversary of the Quebec Chess federation and a great line up of 3 majors chess events : The Carnaval Chess Tournament, the CYCC, the COCC and maybe, the WYCC !!!

As mentionned during our site inspection, we would like to receive a confirmation for the 2018 CYCC and COCC prior March the 31st because our main objective will be to organize an action for the FIDE while I am going to be at Sport Accord next April and also to insure that the great 2018 Quebec program is well secured. WE, as a destination, want to provide to all your participants, volunteers and officials something they deserve and something they will refer to in the future. Nothing less !

I am available for any questions or comments any time from now to March 31st .

Best regards to Mr. Craver ,

Marc Magny
    Sales Manager, International Sports Conventions
    Business Development, Cercle des ambassadeurs
    Société du Centre des congrès de Québec
    mmagny@convention.qc.ca
    Tel.418.649.7711 # 4047
    Cel.418.569.8228

900, boul. René-Lévesque Est, 2e étage
    Québec (Québec) G1R 2B5

www.convention.qc.ca
    www.cercledesambassadeurs.com

Can we have confirmation that the CYCC bid includes $150 per player to the CFC to send a delegation to the WYCC?

In the CYCC calculations there are 300 players *$75, which I take to be the local organizer share of the entry fee.

It would be great for the CFC to be able to award the 2018 tournament and be looking for someone for 2019.

Hi !

Yes, there is a share of 150 $ per player for the CFC. So the total amount for one registration is 225 $, and 250 $ after a certain date to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    Can we have confirmation that the CYCC bid includes $150 per player to the CFC to send a delegation to the WYCC?

In the CYCC calculations there are 300 players *$75, which I take to be the local organizer share of the entry fee.

It would be great for the CFC to be able to award the 2018 tournament and be looking for someone for 2019.
    I agree with Halldor's points. I think it's wonderful that this bid is coming in so early, and that it seems to coincide nicely with local celebrations. However, I would prefer to see a super-complete bid, and in time for the next CFC AGM. That gives any other contenders the same level playing field for submitting their bid(s). Offhand, I am uncomfortable at HAVING to decide by this March 31st. I don't know if it's publicized anywhere, but I recommend the CYCC/CO deadlines be changed to something to the effect of "2 CFC AGMs before". In other words, for bids for 2018, they would be compared and chosen at the 2016 CFC AGM, etc. I am tremendously happy how CYCC/CO bidding is blooming!

My thinking is pretty much as per Halldor's and as he says it would be great to be looking to 2019 particularly after recent experience.

One of the problems in waiting too long is the avaibility of the rooms-playing site at the Hotel Delta. Also the tarifs may changed. Our window is not very large. Quebec City is terribly popular in summer.

Blog Entries

Congratulations for putting this bid together! I look forward to vote on it ASAP :-)
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Blog Entries

At the moment there is only one bid and we know that the FQE are quite capable. If someone else is thinking about bidding lets get things together for 2018 or put together a bid for 2019. I think we will need assurances from whoever puts on the tournaments that they will take on making sure that players have up to date memberships as this creates much of the random variation in membership numbers which are endlessly debated. Forcing everyone to be a member before they can sit down and play and then making sure that the collected memberships and youth fund fees are accounted for and remitted to the CFC on a timely basis is an important requirement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast