Thread: Chesstalk down again this morning (Tues Jan 12,2016)

Default Chesstalk down again this morning (Tues Jan 12,2016)

getting:

The database has encountered a problem.
    Please try the following:
    Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    Open the www.chesstalk.info home page, then try to open another page.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    The www.chesstalk.info forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

It appears to be back up as of 09:54 EST. I was having the same problems earlier.

Blog Entries

It is blocked by Cogeco I believe (well at least for me). I put in a request to get it unblocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    It is blocked by Cogeco I believe (well at least for me). I put in a request to get it unblocked.
    I'd be astounded to find that Cogeco blocks chesstalk(!) - or almost anything for that matter.
    It might be that Cogeco has a bad dns server implementation (like Rogers).

I found that when I was using Rogers' dns servers (the default ones served up if you don't override them) many dns lookups would periodically fail. My conclusion several YEARS ago is that Rogers' dns is fundamentally underpowered or otherwise broken. Now I use a combination of OpenDNS and Google's dns server (8.8.8.8) and dns lookup problems are gone.

Blog Entries

I have tried changing the DNS server. No joy. John Coleman is experiencing a similar problem. If the problem is not Cogeco it might be something to do with Lunarpages.

403 Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Its not clear if that is Cogeco or Lunarpages or who is not giving permission to access the pages.

Vlad

403 error is an HTML error https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_403 . A web server may return a 403 Forbidden HTTP status code in response to a request from a client for a web page or resource to indicate that the server can be reached and understood the request, but refuses to take any further action. Status code 403 responses are the result of the web server being configured to deny access, for some reason, to the requested resource by the client.

The server can be reached, thus the DNS is not in error. There is a problem at lunarpage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    403 error is an HTML error https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_403 . A web server may return a 403 Forbidden HTTP status code in response to a request from a client for a web page or resource to indicate that the server can be reached and understood the request, but refuses to take any further action. Status code 403 responses are the result of the web server being configured to deny access, for some reason, to the requested resource by the client.

The server can be reached, thus the DNS is not in error. There is a problem at lunarpage.
    That is what I figured after talking to Cogeco. They are not blocking Lunarpage though I do sometimes get a message that Chesstalk is an attack site which is no surprise to me.