Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chesstalk is down

Blog Entries

I think the CFC forums using chesscanada.info is using Cirrushosting.com which have been less problematic than our other previous hosts though we did go down briefly for a day or two just before the last voting member meeting when they updated the software. We did get a credit for the day we were down and no $500 charges. The chess.ca website is hosted on our own separate webserver using Cogeco. Its a tad more expensive but the complaints and problems have largely stopped and the website is way faster and way more responsive than it was before.

Blog Entries

Chesstalk is still down as of 8:34 am EST or 5:34 am PST.

I made a posting on Chesstalk at 8:25 EST, so it's up for me! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I think the CFC forums using chesscanada.info is using Cirrushosting.com which have been less problematic than our other previous hosts though we did go down briefly for a day or two just before the last voting member meeting when they updated the software. We did get a credit for the day we were down and no $500 charges. The chess.ca website is hosted on our own separate webserver using Cogeco. Its a tad more expensive but the complaints and problems have largely stopped and the website is way faster and way more responsive than it was before.
    I thought running business servers was 'not permitted' on Cogeco and Rogers and Bell. Maybe they have relented and actually 'sell' you a fixed IP address now? Of course, it has always been possible to operate a server on a residential broadband network but maybe it is easier to fly under the radar now that most residential ISP's now offer more or less "unlimited bandwidth" (perhaps with speed throttling etc if you get too piggy).

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    They have just promised me that we will be up and running no later than 5:30 am EST.
    Uhh, Larry, it was up this morning but it suddenly seems to have reset itself. A post I made along with a reply to it have disappeared along with Hugh Brodie's new thread about gamescores. I think there were a few other posts as well. This happened sometime between 11:00am and 12:15pm est.

Steve

P.S. Happy New Year!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    I thought running business servers was 'not permitted' on Cogeco and Rogers and Bell. Maybe they have relented and actually 'sell' you a fixed IP address now? Of course, it has always been possible to operate a server on a residential broadband network but maybe it is easier to fly under the radar now that most residential ISP's now offer more or less "unlimited bandwidth" (perhaps with speed throttling etc if you get too piggy).
    Cogeco has business accounts with higher fees and fixed IP addresses. They are pretty reliable and have good customer service in my experience with them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Douglas View Post
    Uhh, Larry, it was up this morning but it suddenly seems to have reset itself. A post I made along with a reply to it have disappeared along with Hugh Brodie's new thread about gamescores. I think there were a few other posts as well. This happened sometime between 11:00am and 12:15pm est.SteveP.S. Happy New Year!
    I am getting the same 403 Forbidden noticeForbiddenYou don't have permission to access / on this server.Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.Apache/2.4.16 (Unix) OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_fcgid/2.3.9 Server at www.chesstalk.com Port 80

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12