Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chesstalk is down

Blog Entries

Default Chesstalk is down

I would guess for some maintenance. It was acting funny (double posting, seeming to hang when you post) before it went down.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

After being up again for days, chesstalk is down again, tonight.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Unfortunately, all the Chess'n Math sites (ChessTalk.com, Strategygames.ca, boutiquestrategie.ca, Chess-math.org, echecs.org will be down until sometime on Monday Jan. 4, 2016 or Tuesday Jan 5, 2016. We apologize for the inconvenience...what a way to start 2016

And the FQE site has been down for several days. When it's back up, I will post all 93 games from Open section of the Pere Noel tournament (Montreal: 1st Sambuev), and CanBase updates as of Jan. 1, 2016.

Larry, did you forget to pay off the KGB agents again?

Steve

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    After being up again for days, chesstalk is down again, tonight.
    I didn't see it come up since it went down shortly after Christmas. Lunar Pages has a page up which implies that the problem may have something to do with bandwidth usage. Being down has certainly led to a more peaceful holiday season for me. The timing couldn't have been better actually. I am sorry to see the rest of the CMA sites go down though. There are lots of good new chess books being released.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Unfortunately, all the Chess'n Math sites (ChessTalk.com, Strategygames.ca, boutiquestrategie.ca, Chess-math.org, echecs.org will be down until sometime on Monday Jan. 4, 2016 or Tuesday Jan 5, 2016. We apologize for the inconvenience...what a way to start 2016
    Larry, as I mentioned before - Lunar Pages is a joke. Aside from being -3 hours out of sync with Montreal time (making timely tech support more or less impossible) they are so unresponsive you should ditch them ASAP. Find a real hosting company. I will poke around to see if any of my colleagues have any recommendations.
    Last edited by Kerry Liles; 01-03-2016 at 10:40 PM. Reason: apparently based in Calif. So only -3 hours.

Larry, if you need better hosting, I could certainly find a little Virtual Private Server somewhere for you with much higher resources the Lunarpages. PayPal, Visa and Mastercard accepted . Places such as Lunarpages claims to sell unlimited hosting but suspend the client as soon as he uses too much resources.

Unfortunately, VPS in Canada are expensive. Its hard to justify because electricity cost is lower. Its the WHM/cPanel that drive the price up considerably. It easily 50$ per month in Toronto It cost less in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Larry, if you need better hosting, I could certainly find a little Virtual Private Server somewhere for you with much higher resources the Lunarpages. PayPal, Visa and Mastercard accepted . Places such as Lunarpages claims to sell unlimited hosting but suspend the client as soon as he uses too much resources.

Unfortunately, VPS in Canada are expensive. Its hard to justify because electricity cost is lower. Its the WHM/cPanel that drive the price up considerably. It easily 50$ per month in Toronto It cost less in the US.
    Lunarpages just extored 500$ from us in order to make our sites available again. As far as I understand it, for the next month they will allow us to use 5% of the shared resources instead of the 2% we were attributed. They have charged our credit card fast enough...but they are not as fast at restoring things for us. As of a few minutes ago, our sites are still down.

Our contract with Lunarpages expires in March 2016. I do not appreciate being held hostage by this company. Please e-mail me with alternatives. bevand at chess-math dot org They shut down our e-mail at the same time as they shut down our sites so when you see the sites back up...I should get my e-mails also...or maybe a request for another $500...

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    Lunarpages just extored 500$ from us in order to make our sites available again. As far as I understand it, for the next month they will allow us to use 5% of the shared resources instead of the 2% we were attributed. They have charged our credit card fast enough...but they are not as fast at restoring things for us. As of a few minutes ago, our sites are still down.

Our contract with Lunarpages expires in March 2016. I do not appreciate being held hostage by this company. Please e-mail me with alternatives. bevand at chess-math dot org They shut down our e-mail at the same time as they shut down our sites so when you see the sites back up...I should get my e-mails also...or maybe a request for another $500...

Larry

They have just promised me that we will be up and running no later than 5:30 am EST.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast