Thread: Wish List for next year

Blog Entries

Default Wish List for next year

Recognition by the Canadian Olympic Committee once again.
    Record breaking tournaments across the country
    Launch of Premium Chess Server in Canada
    An increase in number of CFC members
    A strong Canadian Olympiad team

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Looking back, an interesting list that wasn't too short. Other than the post being made on a December day (a special one, too), I'm not sure why such a list wasn't part of a president's report made at an AGM. Except, as a kind of mid-term informal report of goals the CFC was striving/hoping for in 2016 (until which month of it, I am not sure).

It'd also be interesting to see in the president's report for the 2018 AGM (or perhaps in this thread) any kind of long term aims the CFC might be striving/wishing for at this point. I'm kind of assuming the old long term plan formulated circa the 2012 AGM is more or less not being followed closely, due to unexpected things coming up.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Looking back, an interesting list that wasn't too short. Other than the post being made on a December day (a special one, too), I'm not sure why such a list wasn't part of a president's report made at an AGM. Except, as a kind of mid-term informal report of goals the CFC was striving/hoping for in 2016 (until which month of it, I am not sure).

It'd also be interesting to see in the president's report for the 2018 AGM (or perhaps in this thread) any kind of long term aims the CFC might be striving/wishing for at this point. I'm kind of assuming the old long term plan formulated circa the 2012 AGM is more or less not being followed closely, due to unexpected things coming up.
    One of the tenets of that plan was to follow the lead of what was happening in Windsor as a model for the rest of the CFC. We are not even doing in Windsor what we were doing back then. It takes lots of dedicated people doing the right things. When you stop doing the right things the forward momentum stops. Part of the problem is that I only have so much time and a good chunk of my time is concerned with the day to day concerns of running the CFC.

I am hoping to relaunch a serious chess class in Windsor or even two and we can get back to the success that we enjoyed in the past where we qualified an average of four kids to WYCC/WCCC through a top three finish at CYCC. The last two years we have only qualified two each year with one person (Rohan Talukdar) qualifying twice and another being the last gasp of the old order though very satisfying because there was controversy at the time that this player was allowed to participate in the advanced class and yet Ellen Tao went on to become a Canadian champion and her mother Christina Tao has become a contributor to youth chess as a head of delegation and organizing youth delegations even where her children were not involved. The forward momentum continues for a few years it seems.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Recognition by the Canadian Olympic Committee once again.
    Record breaking tournaments across the country
    Launch of Premium Chess Server in Canada
    An increase in number of CFC members
    A strong Canadian Olympiad team
    The only dud in there was the launch of Premium Chess Server which didn't go anywhere largely through a lack of interest and volunteers.