Thread: Naycc 2016

Default Naycc 2016

I have been following the discusion by the CFC Governors.

First I want everyone to know that I have great respect for Vlad. He is correct that he encouraged the CMA to put in a bid for this event. IF Windsor is charging $8,000 for rent you can only imagine what Montreal and Toronto wanted. Victoria D from B.C. Was also encouraging me to put in a bid but I could not make the numbers work. Then, Vadim T, a member of the CMA executive thought outside the box and suggested Kingston. That was it! It all came together in no time! Sincerely folks the Ambassador Hotel with a 100 ft indoor waterslide and a fantastic ballroom make this location a winner!

Also is CMA the only organization remitting HST on entry fees to the government

Blog Entries

The only knowledge I have that is remotely connected to this would be the CFC office who pays HST on CFC memberships and rating fees.

I'm not sure how this would relate to the mom and pop tournament organizer like myself all the way up to provincial or other "corporate" chess organizations. Certainly yours is the biggest in Canada.

Hi Fred,

The advise I received from an accountant is that if you generate $30,000 or more in a year then you are required to collect and remit.

Larry

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    I have been following the discusion by the CFC Governors.

First I want everyone to know that I have great respect for Vlad. He is correct that he encouraged the CMA to put in a bid for this event. IF Windsor is charging $8,000 for rent you can only imagine what Montreal and Toronto wanted. Victoria D from B.C. Was also encouraging me to put in a bid but I could not make the numbers work. Then, Vadim T, a member of the CMA executive thought outside the box and suggested Kingston. That was it! It all came together in no time! Sincerely folks the Ambassador Hotel with a 100 ft indoor waterslide and a fantastic ballroom make this location a winner!

Also is CMA the only organization remitting HST on entry fees to the government
    Technically there is a strong possibility that we will get the playing site for free if we get only slightly ambitious targets for room occupancy for 2016 and the way I read the proposal if we hold ten tournaments there in 2016 and meet our room occupancy goal then we are good and the playing site is free for all ten events. The rents I put into our bid assume we don't make our numbers and use some other halls. Quite frankly I was very pleasantly surprised after seeing the Caesars proposal and very unpleasantly shocked after seeing a proposal from another venue that was looking for over $70,000 for all three events. [Hmmm.... which should I choose,... Free or $70,000?] I can see why most of the international FIDE tournaments bus people to a playing site.

We will remit HST if required though I will need to get some clarification on the requirements. HST should be a wash given that we can deduct HST payments against HST owing and given that the expenses will mostly match revenues. The net effect should be a slight profit because of the allowances if you make your payments on time.

I see that you have added information on the Windsor bid Vlad....for the record, parking on-site at the Kingston location is also free.

Blog Entries

Not really. I believe I tried to add a comma or apostraphe but the website hung and it didn't even change. The parking information was there at the beginning (before the meeting opened) as I recall. Though given my lack of sleep it is possible I am hallucinating.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-18-2015 at 02:49 PM.