Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5A. Discussion Items - 6. New or other business

For the same reason you don't see players like L.Bogdan (FIDE 2180), D.Khaziyeva (FIDE 2115), D.Kagramanov (FIDE 2067) and many others.

They did not play a rated game from Mar 21, 2015.

I would like to propose an idea to have a national scholastic championship in Canada. This can follow the American format where the competition is individual based on four different scholastic divisions (high school, Jr. High, Elementary and K-3). The top four players count for a team score which adds an important team element. Over the past 3 years we have experimented with it in Alberta and although our numbers can't compare to those in Central Canada, it has become our most successful junior event as far as numbers are concerned.
    I think that it would be nice to have a national event supported by CFC that would work in this format.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    For the same reason you don't see players like L.Bogdan (FIDE 2180), D.Khaziyeva (FIDE 2115), D.Kagramanov (FIDE 2067) and many others.

They did not play a rated game from Mar 21, 2015.
    Those players have not played a game in years; at least Alexandra has played last year. Anyway, I understand your point. Thank you!
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    I would like to propose an idea to have a national scholastic championship in Canada. This can follow the American format where the competition is individual based on four different scholastic divisions (high school, Jr. High, Elementary and K-3). The top four players count for a team score which adds an important team element. Over the past 3 years we have experimented with it in Alberta and although our numbers can't compare to those in Central Canada, it has become our most successful junior event as far as numbers are concerned.
    I think that it would be nice to have a national event supported by CFC that would work in this format.
    Yes, these types of events are very popular in Michigan and they allow Canadian players to participate for most of them. There are usually lots of big trophies. Our high school team won their division. The K-8 came in second. K-5 came in third and our K-3 tykes finished 4th even though our group was shorthanded because some of the better kids went to a big money tournament in Ohio. I would especially like this if we allowed U.S. players to play also. Usually what they do is that the Michigan players are awarded the title of Michigan champion and the Canadians still get the first place trophy. The fees are usually quite reasonable ($20 per player or sometimes a bit more after the early bird deadline).

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Yes, these types of events are very popular in Michigan and they allow Canadian players to participate for most of them. There are usually lots of big trophies. Our high school team won their division. The K-8 came in second. K-5 came in third and our K-3 tykes finished 4th even though our group was shorthanded because some of the better kids went to a big money tournament in Ohio. I would especially like this if we allowed U.S. players to play also. Usually what they do is that the Michigan players are awarded the title of Michigan champion and the Canadians still get the first place trophy. The fees are usually quite reasonable ($20 per player or sometimes a bit more after the early bird deadline).
    I am not sure whether Canadians are allowed to play in the US National events, which are quite massive. When I lived in the US I played in the Super-Nationals which are held once every four years and attract roughly 5,000 players! Normally the event is divided based on the four age categories so each has roughly 1300 participants.

Blog Entries

Default Women's Zonal

Are there any plans afoot for a women's zonal? Are there any deadlines from FIDE with respect to dates that this should be completed?

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Are there any plans afoot for a women's zonal? Are there any deadlines from FIDE with respect to dates that this should be completed?
    If no one else bids, I believe that Jina Burn from Fort McMurray could do it and have nice funding for it, but of course that would be quite far for most participants. Speaking of national events, have we given up on having a Canadian Junior?

We are thinking about it for the Kitchener Chess Festival next year. The Women's WC Tournament is scheduled for October of next year although no bids have been received, which should mean that early August will be soon enough for our Zonal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    We are thinking about it for the Kitchener Chess Festival next year. The Women's WC Tournament is scheduled for October of next year although no bids have been received, which should mean that early August will be soon enough for our Zonal.
    Hal, do you plan other special events during the Kitchener festival which might conflict with the Calgary International which will be at the same time? We are planning to have a Swiss with probably 5 GMs and norms.

The Calgary International sounds awesome Vlad! Kitchener has no such plans at present. It is conceivable that we could do something with IM norms but that is not likely at this point and I doubt it would conflict with Calgary in any case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast