Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5A. Discussion Items - 6. New or other business

One item I'd like to put up for discussion:

Saskatchewan Chess Association Funds – The CFC currently holds funds in trust for the Saskatchewan Chess Association. As “the” National organization which supports chess, it seems to me that we (the CFC)have an obligation to ensure that our provincial associations are healthy and thriving. I have no doubt that if and when the Saskatchewan provincial association comes back to life, that the CFC will be willing to assist them in any way possible. It’s obviously in the CFC’s interest to do so. The more provincial organizations we have in good shape, the better for the CFC. I hope to see the Saskatchewan Chess Association (or whatever they'll call themselves when they re-organize), will come together and work to promote chess in Saskatchewan. I would suggest that they will have to form a provincially registered society with an executive and satisfy the CFC that they will use the funds to promote and organize chess in Saskatchewan. Hopefully, someone will come forward and organize themselves to do so. Other conditions may well be imposed by the CFC to ensure the monies are put to good use before transferring the funds to the new organization to ensure legitimacy.

CFC and Related Minutes (ie. Chess Foundation)- I’ve been involved in a number of organizations over the years and minutes are often a difficult item to keep track of. Not sure of the solution, however recent executive discussions regarding past issues with the Chess Foundation and other CFC issues have brought forth the importance of maintaining good minutes/records of the organization’s past. Without a building to maintain these records, it becomes difficult to maintain continuity of those records. It is possible to scan all the records and keep them electronically but that takes a lot of time and effort in doing it, collating them and making sure they’re in an easily accessible format. Likely never to get done unless we have someone hired to do it. Not sure whether we could get a gov grant to get that done ? It seems to me that "all" the CFC's records should be kept for historical and practical purposes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    CFC and Related Minutes (ie. Chess Foundation)- I’ve been involved in a number of organizations over the years and minutes are often a difficult item to keep track of. Not sure of the solution, however recent executive discussions regarding past issues with the Chess Foundation and other CFC issues have brought forth the importance of maintaining good minutes/records of the organization’s past. Without a building to maintain these records, it becomes difficult to maintain continuity of those records. It is possible to scan all the records and keep them electronically but that takes a lot of time and effort in doing it, collating them and making sure they’re in an easily accessible format. Likely never to get done unless we have someone hired to do it. Not sure whether we could get a gov grant to get that done ? It seems to me that "all" the CFC's records should be kept for historical and practical purposes.
    Actually that is a very good idea. We have actually kind of started down that path with Michael Von Keitz doing a lot of work in this regard. One of my upcoming tasks is to find some money to help compensate for his work and help in this regard.

When the building was sold, some materials were sent to the National Archives, some merch was sold off and everything else was moved to a storage trailer and storage costs were incurred. During his Presidency Michael undertook to empty the storage trailer and digitize our records. This was a daunting, thankless task. I helped him. Saleable inventory was liquidated and Michael scanned all of the magazines and all the old minutes and cross tables (Governor Letters) he could find. There are some gaps in the older GLs I believe.

Unless it's just my ineptitude, there do not appear to be archives of our recent quarterly meetings and AGMs on the website. Some of them have a link that leads to nowhere. The "Governors Letters" page seems to have been abandoned 2 years ago.
    I faithfully send in my annual Foundation reports and ask for them to be posted but the most recent one I can find on line is from April 2013 and is posted on the Governors Letters page.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Unless it's just my ineptitude, there do not appear to be archives of our recent quarterly meetings and AGMs on the website. Some of them have a link that leads to nowhere. The "Governors Letters" page seems to have been abandoned 2 years ago.
    I faithfully send in my annual Foundation reports and ask for them to be posted but the most recent one I can find on line is from April 2013 and is posted on the Governors Letters page.

When we changed server companies the files got scrambled. They are all there in the meeting room area. You can see them sort of correctly by sorting by date of last post. The problem is that in order to fix it you have to be able to create subforums which I can't do for some reason. Then you would have to find the hundred hours to move the unholy mess into its proper structure.

Oh and if you do it without the right permissions it gets fixed temporarily but then it gets scrambled again.

Do we have a master list of what's been digitized? I have a box roughly 1'x1'x1' containing mostly GLs from the 80s and 90s and would love to get a list so I could go through that box tossing those that are digitized and preserving those I have that aren't.

I haven't the expertise to go from printed document -> PDF but would be happy to do what I can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Do we have a master list of what's been digitized? I have a box roughly 1'x1'x1' containing mostly GLs from the 80s and 90s and would love to get a list so I could go through that box tossing those that are digitized and preserving those I have that aren't.

I haven't the expertise to go from printed document -> PDF but would be happy to do what I can.
    Most printer/scanners come with software that lets you do it automatically. My Brother printer does anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Most printer/scanners come with software that lets you do it automatically. My Brother printer does anyway.
    I get that - what I've driving at is do we have a master list of what the CFC has digitized and what we don't. I'd be quite happy to ditch what's already done and take a go at the ones I have that aren't on the list

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    I get that - what I've driving at is do we have a master list of what the CFC has digitized and what we don't. I'd be quite happy to ditch what's already done and take a go at the ones I have that aren't on the list
    We do but it would take a massive search of my emails and probably several hours for me to deliver such a list because many of the file names were at times cryptic as I recall.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123