Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 5A Discussion Items 2. Bids for Canadian Open, CYCC and NAYCC and other tournaments

Blog Entries

I'm not clear if we are voting on the CYCC / CO events separately or if we are voting on three CYCC/optional CO packages, and if Vancouver wins then determining who still wants to go ahead with a lone CO.

Can we have a ruling, Vlad ?

Until the timing of the CYCC has to change (which might be soon), I think we should favour bids that want both events.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I'm not clear if we are voting on the CYCC / CO events separately or if we are voting on three CYCC/optional CO packages, and if Vancouver wins then determining who still wants to go ahead with a lone CO.

Can we have a ruling, Vlad ?

Until the timing of the CYCC has to change (which might be soon), I think we should favour bids that want both events.
    At the moment, Vancouver is not on the table so there is no need for a ruling. I have outlined how it might be returned to the table but only if someone initiates the sequence that I have outlined and strictly speaking it is getting late as such appeals/objections to rulings of the chair should be undertaken immediately. There was a big argument when Michael von Keitz was president on this question as I recall. Also if the situation does proceed down that path there are strict rules about debate over such motions. The chair gets to speak first and last on the appeal. Individuals arguing the appeal get to speak once.

I agree that bids that take on both events should be favoured. If the Vancouver bid makes it back onto the table and it was the only one on the table then I would recommend that we accept the bid. Where we have two other bids that are combined bids well it makes sense that we pick one of them. The FQE bid will cost the CFC $2000. The Windsor bid will cost us nothing. Strip out CYCC and throw out the two current bids and I suspect we will need a sizeable incentive to get someone to do the Canadian Open. Last year offers of $3000 did not turn the trick. Picking a bid without the Canadian Open is tantamount to choosing not to have a Canadian Open. This in a year where there will be the cost of the two Olympiad teams to consider and the increased costs of sending two delegations to world youth events instead of one. We are going to have less money this time around due to reductions in the book deal with the CMA ($5000 instead of $8000) and also the need to renegotiate the deal with the FQE. We need to get started on fundraising now.

I don't think we can afford to change the timing of CYCC. It is first and foremost the Canadian Championship and we should not compromise that to accommodate other considerations.

Blog Entries

Fundraising for the Windsor bid has now reached $11,800 though there are strings attached to one or more of the pledges. Caesars Windsor has pledged $5,000 to the CFC youth fund to send kids to world tournaments if we give Windsor all three tournaments. They have also offered that playing halls will be free. Payment will be made upon completion of the third tournament (NAYCC).

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Fundraising for the Windsor bid has now reached $11,800 though there are strings attached to one or more of the pledges. Caesars Windsor has pledged $5,000 to the CFC youth fund to send kids to world tournaments if we give Windsor all three tournaments. They have also offered that playing halls will be free. Payment will be made upon completion of the third tournament (NAYCC).
    wow-WOW-W.O.W. !!!

Vlad, that is stunningly good news! The Windsor team seem to be building tremendous relationships with local business! $5K DONATION to the youth fund?! FREE PLAYING HALLS ?! Am I missing anything, because the triple-Windsor-bids now seem overwhelmingly superior. I am ready to vote for them all. And I"m delighted for the Windsor people.

Blog Entries

Assuming that Windsor does all three tournaments that makes the Canadian Open at close to break even before even one pasta fundraiser (-$1000) though we have to still talk to some of the downtown businesses. Caesars has also made some interesting offers which may allow us to invite more grandmasters without bankrupting us.

The plan here is that funds raised for junior chess go to junior chess and funds raised for the Canadian Open go to the Canadian Open. We will not be taking any of the kids money to subsidize the Canadian Open.

BID from Quebec City,

Just some precision. The Quebec BID do not ask for 2 000 $ from the CFC. I think there is a misunderstanding here. It's all the opposite. Last year the CFC offered 2 000$ to the organizer of the Canadian Open. We simply say that we do not need that money this year.

Quebec City BID is very interesting in many ways. A different city and the possibility to attract lots of players from Montreal nearby. Quebec City is a UNESCO World Heritage site with a myriad of touristic possibilities. It's the only walled city North of Mexico. Quebec City is gathering accolades around the world as the perfect venue for large-scale events.

The parents will like Quebec City. It's a city rich in history. We are preparing some touristic exursions includind a cruise on the St-Lawrence river.

Two Chess clubs will be associated to the organizing committee : Montcalm Chess Club and Ste-Foy Chess Club.

We are in close contact with the Quebec Convention Center and some details still needs to be attached. We expect to have all the details for tomorrow. So it would be a good idea to wait for those important informations before voting. What is more normal than to have the complete picture before taking any decision.

Best regards,
    Richard Bérubé
    DG FQE

Some clarification to the Quebec City Bid

- The FQE do not claim any subsidy for the organization of both tournaments.
    - Quebec City is a wonderful touristic site. It boasts four centuries of history marked by epic battles. We plan to develop attractions for the participants around the possibilities to visit its many sites and learn about its social, military and religious history.
    - The tournament will be held in the Quebec Convention Center a brand new mega-building in the heart of the Old City (Uptown). This is made possible by a financial held from the City (around 7 000 $).
    - The FQE organized many tournaments over the years. In 2014, the CYCC and Canadian Open in Montreal attracted 740 players combined, a new record. During those events, the media coverage was huge. National, regional, local newspapers and television were following the tournaments every day like never before and after. It was largely due to the formation of a special committee directed on that very subject.
    - Quebec City is a new and interesting possibility to attract new players to chess.
    - Quebec has four active Grand masters (Hansen, Lesiège, Roussel and Sambuev). They are likely to play in the Canadian Open. The Hotels deal will permit to have more Grand masters (free rooms).
    - PwC (Price Waterhouse Coopers) will help the Quebec Youth Program with a sponsorship of 5 000 $. This will benefit the CYCC.
    - The FQE has two full time employees and 2 part time employees who can work on the project closely. This is without counting many volunteers.

Thank you, Richard, for clarification!

Could you please confirm that Canadian Open will have 9 rounds over 9 days - from July 9 to July 17 ?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

The 2014 Canadian Open in Montreal certainly had a huge turnout and a wonderful playing site and it seems likely that Quebec City could put on a similar event. Quebec City also hosted the 2014 NATO Championship and although the FQE was not involved directly, the event was a huge success and people loved the city.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

The Canadian Open will have 9 rounds over 8 days : 9 to 16 of july. There is one day with two rounds.
    Richard Bérubé
    FQE DG

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast