Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5A Discussion Items 2. Bids for Canadian Open, CYCC and NAYCC and other tournaments

Blog Entries

Handbook clause 714 states that "$75 of each paid entry shall go to the local organizer for their expenses in providing the playing site, tournament directors and all other expenses." Entries are set at $225 in clause 708. The balance of $150 goes to the youth fund as per clause 714. The issue is not the number of entries but capping payments to the youth fund to the benefit of the tournament organizers and to the detriment of funds for junior chess, specifically funds for travel to the world tournament.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    The 2013 CYCC in Ottawa was in the order of $40,000. You cannot do a WYCC for $15-$20K.
    No, you cannot.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-14-2015 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    I am forced to propose on a Point of Order that the Vancouver bid be withdrawn from consideration from this assembly as it is outside of our rules.
    If Halldor's proposal requires to be seconded, then I offer to do that.

This point-of-order exclusion should be done as soon as feasible.

Blog Entries

I don't believe that a point of order requires a seconder. I have made my ruling. The bid is withdrawn from consideration for being deficient as it does not follow one of the main handbook rules of CYCC with regard to allocation of entry fees to the youth fund as set forth in clause 714 of the handbook. If someone wishes to challenge the ruling of the chair they will require a seconder. I would not be offended if this were to happen and the question were to be thrown to the voting members.

However to quote the Bard, "If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well It were done quickly" In a face to face meeting challenges generally have to take place immediately.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-14-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Most of us probably don't know what you mean by "does not conform to the CFC rules" so it would be useful to say why.
    Ken Jensen is no longer involved in BC Junior Chess. He is not part of the organizing committee.
    Regrettably, no region outside of central Canada can expect 290 entries as does Windsor. If maximizing the financial return to the CFC is the prime criteria for approving a bid, the CYCC will be held in Windsor or Quebec. If promoting chess in the regions is important then the Vancouver bid should be considered and the fact accepted that the CFC will have less cash to subsidize travel to the WYCC.
    As far as I am concerned, I would not penalize Vancouver (or any other city) for having less entries. The CYCC is a great way to promote chess in a region. But the bid should at least give the same amount per player to the CFC. In this case, if 200 players were to show up in Vancouver, the organizers would only give $20 000 instead of $30 000 the other organizers would offer. This is a huge difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    As far as I am concerned, I would not penalize Vancouver (or any other city) for having less entries. The CYCC is a great way to promote chess in a region. But the bid should at least give the same amount per player to the CFC. In this case, if 200 players were to show up in Vancouver, the organizers would only give $20 000 instead of $30 000 the other organizers would offer. This is a huge difference.
    The last time the CYCC was in Vancouver, in 2012, Windsor sent 19 players. I believe we might expect as many as 30 this time out if it were to be held in Vancouver but certainly no less than twenty unless it so happened that Canadian Open were held in Windsor starting the day after CYCC. In that case you might get zero entries from Windsor in CYCC which would be a pity.

I believe there were approximately 200 players the last time in Vancouver. I don't see why it would be less this time. Thirty thousand dollars would at least allow a pared down delegation to the world tournaments.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 12-14-2015 at 12:18 PM.

It is great to see all these bids. I think Vlad has been very sporting by extending the bid deadline to encourage additional bids which compete with the Windsor group. Normally there is no such provision if no bids are received in time for the summer AGM. The Executive deals with it.

Even if the Vancouver bid was compliant, holding the "CYCC only" in absence of a "Canadian Open only" bid from elsewhere is not so attractive these days. We need to ensure that both events are held.

As for the NAYCC, I am sure CMA would do a fine job in Kingston. Since CMA has organized both of the previous editions for Canada I would like to see someone else try it on.

Blog Entries

I also am of the opinion the Vancouver bid is not good enough and I am from Vancouver. What disappoints is the fact the proposed organizer has not done a complete job to ensure the bid conforms with the minimum CFC requirements to be accepted for discussion and voting. This is basic.

It is commendable when people have ideas and initiative; however it never ceases to amaze me how professional things/ projects are done at work/ business in general and how amateurish when it comes to chess... I wonder why is that the case?
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

The Quebec City Bid is not completed. Lots of information are coming this week. The Quebec City Congress Center is working on a very interesting package who will include extra-touristic activities for the participants. Note that for the proper development of Chess in Canada, changing the location of the CYCC and Canadian Open seems logical.
    Richard Bérubé
    FQE DG

Two things :

1) I think the best bid should win, to some extent regardless of where it was last year. If it's close, sure let's switch, but let's not switch just for the sake of switching?!
    2) I thought the bid process was closed, that the bids already in can no longer be changed, augmented, etc? and that no new bids could be submitted at this time, etc.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast