Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5A Discussion Items 2. Bids for Canadian Open, CYCC and NAYCC and other tournaments

I think that Vlad is in a delicate situation because he considered by some to be a "Windsor guy". However, in my opinion, it would be unfortunate to discount the veracity of what he's saying. The reality is that the Windsor people are really bringing it. I really want to encourage a culture of bids coming in at least a year ahead of time, not later in the cycle while seeming to ask for special considerations. It can come across as trying to take advantage of a supply-demand imbalance, as in being the first of late bids?!

I don't see much difference between the proposals from a financial perspective. Vancouver is offering $25 per player less to the CFC than Quebec or Windsor. Vancouver and Windsor are charging a $25 lower entry fee than Quebec. These are trivial differences and in fact I expect that the Vancouver team will be able to do a little better than the current proposal once they get the go ahead and start gathering sponsorships and negotiating for the playing site.

More importantly, this is a national event that needs to move around the country and it is not Quebec or Windsor's turn to hold it.
    The CYCC plays an important role in promoting junior chess in the various regions of Canada. Vancouver needs the event for that reason.
    I also believe that the Vancouver team has the experience and energy to run the 2016 CYCC, just as they did in 2012.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

"I don't think we can accept a bid which promises less than $150 per player to the youth fund. That has been my public and private position since becoming CFC president."

Does a CYCC bid that does not send $150 per player to the youth fund conform to CFC rules or do we have not have any standards when it comes to these fee splits?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    "I don't think we can accept a bid which promises less than $150 per player to the youth fund. That has been my public and private position since becoming CFC president."

Does a CYCC bid that does not send $150 per player to the youth fund conform to CFC rules or do we have not have any standards when it comes to these fee splits?
    No it does not conform to CFC rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    I don't see much difference between the proposals from a financial perspective. Vancouver is offering $25 per player less to the CFC than Quebec or Windsor. Vancouver and Windsor are charging a $25 lower entry fee than Quebec. These are trivial differences and in fact I expect that the Vancouver team will be able to do a little better than the current proposal once they get the go ahead and start gathering sponsorships and negotiating for the playing site.

More importantly, this is a national event that needs to move around the country and it is not Quebec or Windsor's turn to hold it.
    The CYCC plays an important role in promoting junior chess in the various regions of Canada. Vancouver needs the event for that reason.
    I also believe that the Vancouver team has the experience and energy to run the 2016 CYCC, just as they did in 2012.
    They guarantee the CFC a minimum of $15,000 from the entry fees, and a maximum of $20,000.

That is a huge difference from the usual $150 per entry. In 2014, the Montreal CYCC raised about $45 000 for the CFC. I don't have the numbers for the 2013 and 2015 CYCCs, but I would assume it would be well over $30 000. I don't think the CFC can afford to lose over $15 000, even if Vancouver would be a wonderful city for the tournament.

"No it does not conform to CFC rules."

Can these organizers be asked to amend their bid so it conforms to CFC rules?

If they will not conform to CFC rules I am forced to propose on a point of order that it be withdrawn from consideration from this assembly as it is outside of our rules.

The 2013 CYCC in Ottawa was in the order of $40,000. You cannot do a WYCC for $15-$20K.
    Last edited by Halldor P. Palsson; 12-14-2015 at 12:32 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post

You can't say that they will be able to do better. The vote has to be on the basis of what they presented. 2012 was a financial disaster for the CFC from more than one aspect including the refusal to collect CFC memberships by Mr. Jensen. All three of these bids are from parts of the country that recently held CYCCs. We cannot accept a substandard bid because it is someone's turn because really it isn't. It was Calgary's turn but the crash in the oil patch scuttled that.

I am forced to propose on a Point of Order that the Vancouver bid be withdrawn from consideration from this assembly as it is outside of our rules.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    "No it does not conform to CFC rules."

Can these organizers be asked to amend their bid so it conforms to CFC rules?
    Not at this point. It would not be fair to the other applicants to let one of the bidders change their bid once it has been submitted unless there are no other bids. We are already very late in the process. This should have been done at the AGM.

If they will not conform to CFC rules I am forced to propose on a point of order that it be withdrawn from consideration from this assembly as it is outside of our rules.
    Your point is well taken. It is outside of our rules and policies as outlined in the handbook. I rule that it should be withdrawn from this assembly.

Most of us probably don't know what you mean by "does not conform to the CFC rules" so it would be useful to say why.
    Ken Jensen is no longer involved in BC Junior Chess. He is not part of the organizing committee.
    Regrettably, no region outside of central Canada can expect 290 entries as does Windsor. If maximizing the financial return to the CFC is the prime criteria for approving a bid, the CYCC will be held in Windsor or Quebec. If promoting chess in the regions is important then the Vancouver bid should be considered and the fact accepted that the CFC will have less cash to subsidize travel to the WYCC.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast