Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 5A Discussion Items 2. Bids for Canadian Open, CYCC and NAYCC and other tournaments

Location of prestige events in Canada

It is worth reminding that FQE last November 20th proposed its Board to enter a CYCC / Canadian Open bid just because there was none then at the CFC level. As a result we now have to endure pages of the Windsor litany justifying monopoly over competition. For good measure NAYCC is also included.

Fine. We shall not even try to argue. Just permit us a few remarks. These July events are for the benefit of players, parents and foreigners alike. In order to attract more members and more sponsors in the future, they must also serve the promotion and reputation of chess within Canada, a country still seen from abroad as a safe and fun touristic place to play.

With that in mind, we believe Vancouver simply is a fantastic new option. The CFC should do everything to help that bid. Nobody denies that Windsor did a good job last year but repeating the position draws. Ambassador’s bridge and the Satanic Temple of Detroit are not really that entertaining.

And what to say about Sault Ste. Marie? Why not Rattle Snake Island in Georgian Bay, just off the French River? (By the way do we understand that 2017 has been awarded before 2016? How does one get informed?).

For the benefit of Canada we believe that locations like Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto (why has TO fallen asleep?), Ottawa, Montréal and Québec City should strongly be encouraged.

Bernard Labadie
    Président - President
    Fédération québécoise des échecs
    Quebec Chess Federation

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bérubé View Post
    Location of prestige events in Canada

It is worth reminding that FQE last November 20th proposed its Board to enter a CYCC / Canadian Open bid just because there was none then at the CFC level. As a result we now have to endure pages of the Windsor litany justifying monopoly over competition. For good measure NAYCC is also included.

Fine. We shall not even try to argue. Just permit us a few remarks. These July events are for the benefit of players, parents and foreigners alike. In order to attract more members and more sponsors in the future, they must also serve the promotion and reputation of chess within Canada, a country still seen from abroad as a safe and fun touristic place to play.

With that in mind, we believe Vancouver simply is a fantastic new option. The CFC should do everything to help that bid. Nobody denies that Windsor did a good job last year but repeating the position draws. Ambassador’s bridge and the Satanic Temple of Detroit are not really that entertaining.

And what to say about Sault Ste. Marie? Why not Rattle Snake Island in Georgian Bay, just off the French River? (By the way do we understand that 2017 has been awarded before 2016? How does one get informed?).

For the benefit of Canada we believe that locations like Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto (why has TO fallen asleep?), Ottawa, Montréal and Québec City should strongly be encouraged.

Bernard Labadie
    Président - President
    Quebec Chess Federation
    Sigh. I will have more to say on this later. I have a lesson to teach to an 8 year old girl across the city now.

After reviewing the bids, my comments are as follows:

1) I am willing to move that the Vancouver bid be restored if that is being asked for. I understand that this is late and not in process, but based on the emails I don't think it best serves the bidding process that the bid be called out of order due to an error by the bidders that they are willing to correct.

2) Even after saying this, I personally favour bids from groups that are willing to do both the CYCC and CO and not just the CYCC. Given that all bids for the CO appear to be contingent on hosting the CYCC as well, it appear to be necessary to vote for bids that include the CO. Otherwise we again will not have a CO.

3) I also do not think chess is best served if all three events occur in just the one location. I feel that it saturates the market in that one area, at the expense of other areas for the country, and thus fails to broaden chess for the whole of the country. For that reason I will be voting in support of Kingston for the NAYCC, and urge other members to do the same.

4) I also believe that the CYCC and Canadian Open should also occur in different locations across the country each year, and for that reason I will vote for Quebec City. However I recognize the strength of the Windsor bid, and so I encourage the members to vote here as per their own personal preference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Did we mention that parking is free? At CYCC 2015 we managed to negotiate $5 for tournament parking a few blocks away. That's the kind of thing that happens when you put someone in charge who doesn't know that you can't ask for this kind of thing from a city bureaucracy.
    Just in case, someone might have misconstrued my meaning here, I want to make clear that this line was in no way intended as a criticism of the organizers of last year's CYCC but rather intended as one of many examples of their sheer genius. Obviously you could ask for this sort of thing and this little act probably saved the CYCC participants and volunteers on the order of $6000 per day in parking fees.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bérubé View Post

Bernard Labadie
    Président - President
    Quebec Chess Federation

Bernard. I don't see how statements like this can help CFC-FQE relations. Clearly you missed the CFC Annual Meeting in July where the fantastic 2017 Canadian Open bid from Sault Ste. Marie was presented, a whole two years in advance - a model we'd obviously like to move toward. I think it is even likely that we can entertain a bid from the losing CO/CYCC team for the 2018 event and get way head of the event.

There were no bids for 2016 at that time, thus here we are - only 7 months away from July.

Blog Entries

Most other sporting federations have their event schedule planned out several years in advance. I can't imagine Golf Canada or Hockey Canada not having their major headline events up for grabs some seven or eight months before their scheduled dates.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Most other sporting federations have their event schedule planned out several years in advance. I can't imagine Golf Canada or Hockey Canada not having their major headline events up for grabs some seven or eight months before their scheduled dates.
    Vlad .... right now we are in the best position we've ever been in (and I go back to 1978) as we are going to have two CO/CYCC's scheduled and maybe even a 3rd CYCC/CO or CYCC and maybe even a NAYCC for 2019 if the losing bidder wants to rework their bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Vlad .... right now we are in the best position we've ever been in (and I go back to 1978) as we are going to have two CO/CYCC's scheduled and maybe even a 3rd CYCC/CO or CYCC and maybe even a NAYCC for 2019 if the losing bidder wants to rework their bid.
    Fred, that's an excellent point! I am also hoping that the convergence of the early SSM 2017 bids, and all of the late interest for 2016, will serve to start something that we can finally definitively build on for years. For example, for the 2018 CYCC/CO, it would be awesome if we could see by our 2016 AGM, complete kickbutt bids from Quebec and at least one from the West. Similarly, I can now think of 3-4 very strong potential bidders for the 2019 NAYCC. I heartily encourage all 2016 bidders to re-bid for 2018-19!

Blog Entries

And wouldn't it be great if we started getting bids from organizers for the Canadian Women's or Canadian Junior, as all of the "popular" ones get snapped up years in advance.

Clarifications to the Quebec City BID 2016

CYCC 2016 and Canadian Open 2016
    http://www.echecsmontreal.ca/co/quebec-A.jpg
    - Site of the tournament : Quebec City Convention Center (Centre des Congrès de Québec) 900, boul. René-Lévesque-Ouest, Quebec City. The Québec City Convention Centre, with its newly renovated meeting space, is perfectly integrated in a modern building complex. Underground tunnels link the Québec City Convention Centre to two four-star hotels, the Hilton Québec and Delta Québec. Over 4,000 indoor parking spaces are also available.

http://www.echecsmontreal.ca/co/quebec-B.jpg
    - Parking : Rather drive than take the bus? No problem. An underground tunnel links the Québec City Convention Centre to the Hilton and Delta hotels, Édifice Marie-Guyart (also known as “Complexe G”), and four more underground parking lots for a total of 4,175 parking spaces.

- Hotel associated to the event : Delta Québec 159 $/Single or double during the time of the event. Possibility to add 3 nights before and after the event.
    The Québec City Convention Centre is linked to the hotel by an underground passageway, and Jean-Lesage International Airport is only 20 minutes away from the hotel. Numerous Québec City attractions are also within easy reach.

http://www.echecsmontreal.ca/co/quebec-C.jpg

- Parking : Rather drive than take the bus? No problem. An underground tunnel links the Québec City Convention Centre to the Hilton and Delta hotels, Édifice Marie-Guyart (also known as “Complexe G”), and four more underground parking lots for a total of 4,175 parking spaces.

- Hotel associated to the event : Delta Québec 159 $/Single or double during the time of the event. Possibility to add 3 nights before and after the event.
    The Québec City Convention Centre is linked to the hotel by an underground passageway, and Jean-Lesage International Airport is only 20 minutes away from the hotel. Numerous Québec City attractions are also within easy reach.
    http://www.echecsmontreal.ca/co/quebec-E.jpg
    http://www.echecsmontreal.ca/co/quebec-D.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Bérubé; 12-18-2015 at 03:41 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast