The purpose of this poll is to get an idea how respondents feel about a 10x10 board chess variant idea of mine. The following is an excerpt from an entry on my CFC Discussion Board Blog, which includes a description of my variant (called 'Sac Chess'):

Here's an idea for a 10x10 chess variant. My goal was to have it maybe not too wildly different from chess, yet possibly capable of being computer-resistant as far as the number of legal moves available in a position typically might go. In comparison to the 'Grand Chess' 10x10 variant the start position of my variant is more orderly - there are no empty squares on both side's 1st or 2nd rank (also, in a way I retained the starting positions for the chess pieces, a memory aid to those who play chess). Also Fool's mate & a kind of Scholar's mate are possible, as in chess (& in the same # of moves):
Code:
Col a Col b Col c Col d Col e Col f Col g Col h Col i Col j     Row xx

[C]  :[A]:  [S]  :[Z]:  [M]  :[M]:  [Z]  :[S]:  [A]  :[C]:       10

:[J]:  [R]  :[N]:  [B]  :[Q]:  [K]  :[B]:  [N]  :[R]:  [J]         9

[P]  :[P]:  [P]  :[P]:  [P]  :[P]:  [P]  :[P]:  [P]  :[P]:        8

:::::       :::::       :::::       :::::       :::::              7

:::::       :::::       :::::       :::::       :::::        6

:::::       :::::       :::::       :::::       :::::              5

:::::       :::::       :::::       :::::       :::::        4

:(P):  (P)  :(P):  (P)  :(P):  (P)  :(P):  (P)  :(P):  (P)         3

(J)  :(R):  (N)  :(B):  (Q)  :(K):  (B)  :(N):  (R)  :(J):        2

:(C):  (A)  :(S):  (Z)  :(M):  (M)  :(Z):  (S)  :(A):  (C)         1

In this variant there are 6 new types of pieces than in chess besides the standard 6 types:
Z = Amazon (moves like N or Q), a standard fairy chess piece;
C = Chancellor (moves like N or R [without castling]), a standard fairy chess piece made famous by Capablanca Chess;
A = Archbishop (moves like N or B), a standard fairy chess piece made famous by Capablanca Chess;
S = Sailor (moves like R or K [without castling]), a piece from Shogi (promoted Rook, or 'Dragon', in that game);
M = Missionary (moves like B or K [without castling]), a piece from Shogi (promoted Bishop, or 'Horse', in that game);
J = Judge (moves like N or K [without castling]), my idea possibly, inspired by the Shogi piece types above.

Castling may occur on the 2nd rank between the king and either rook, with conditions as in chess. Pawns act standardly too, the only difference being that while they still promote on the last rank, any of the new types of pieces may be selected, besides piece types allowed in chess. Stalemate is a draw, like in chess.

An example game that might delight a beginner is one version of a Fool's mate: 1.Pg3-g5 Pf8-f7 2.Ph3-h5 Qe9-i5 mate. Then there is 1 version of Scholar's mate: 1.Pf3-f5 Pf8-f6 2.Bg2-d5 Nc9-d7 3.Qe2-g4 Nd7-e5 4.Qg4xg8 mate.

A possible drawback to this variant I've dubbed 'Sac Chess' - note the initials of the last 3 pieces on White's 1st rank - is that if one avoids blundering early, such as above, a typical game might be lengthy given that there's so many extra pieces and squares compared to chess, & a king is typically going to be well defended for a while, I'd guess. [edit: However note that advocates of the oriental game of Go at times like to point out that (I suspect partly in terms of number of moves typical for a whole game to be played), chess is a battle (about 40 moves per side on average), while Go is a war (about 75 moves per side on average).] Testing is needed, if there's interest.

...On avg. 2 units are traded in chess every 10 ply. An avg. game is 80 ply, thus leaving 16 units on the board on avg. To leave 16 units in Sac Chess may thus take 220 ply (or 110 moves). A hypothetical Sac Chess tourn. time control: 50 moves/1.5 hrs. then 40/1 then poss. adjourn. then 40/1 then poss. adjourn. again if nec.

For further insight if desired, here is a link to the relevant CFC Discussion Board Blog entry:

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/en...-(Part-1-of-2)