Thread: 4A. Statement on nominations - PLEASE READ!

Default 4A. Statement on nominations - PLEASE READ!

This is a copy of today's announcement posted here as well as the daily announcement to maximize the number of people who see this. While I'm not the only one involved in the agenda preparation I should have caught it.
    ================================================== ===
    Today is day 3 of the AGM and nominations are now closed ET

HOWEVER, we have made a terrible mistake and must partially re-open some nominations. The most important one is the "7th director" position which used to be called "Past President" but which the NFP Act requires be elected.

ACCORDINGLY here are the results of nominations:

Acclaimed:
    VMs from Quebec - the 3 FQE nominees Messrs Berube, Dumont, Labadie
    VMs from Saskatchewan and Yukon: no nominations so positions vacant

CFC Secretary - Lyle Craver
    CFC Youth Coordinator Frank Lee
    CFC FIDE Representative Hal Bond
    CFC Womens' Representative Yuri Ochkoos (pending acceptance - Ms. Orlova ruled ineligible as her CFC membership has expired more than 30 days previously)
    CFC Ratings Auditor Paul Leblanc
    CFC Publicity Officer vacant
    National Appeals Committee - 5 seats were available but only 4 nominations. Lyle Craver, Ilia Bluvshtein, Victor Plotkin, Pierre Dénommée are acclaimed with one position vacant

POSITIONS OPEN FOR NOMINATION (These positions have nominations extended through 1800 ET Day 5 (13 August)
    CFC Director at Large (formerly known as 'Past President)
    Kalev Pugi Fund Committee (3 seats)

ELECTIONS WILL TAKE PLACE FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS - POLLS CLOSE 1800 ET Aug 15 (Day 7)
    *4.1 President Vlad Drkulec Pierre Dénommée

*4.2 Vice-President Sasha Starr, Ken Craft

*4.4 Treasurer Pierre Dénommée Fred McKim

* 6.1 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - Four year term (1 position): Lloyd Lombard, Lyle Craver, Garland Best

* 6.2 Chess Foundation of Canada Trustees - One year term: (1 position) Lloyd Lombard, Lyle Craver, Garland Best

For the positions where nominations are open feedback will be received on what is the fairest polling period - this is an unfortunate situation but we are striving to deal with this in the fairest manner policy in a way that advances the cause of the CFC.

Lyle, please withdraw my name for the 4 year term. At this point, I am only able to accept nomination for the 1 year term. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post

National Appeals Committee - 5 seats were available but only 4 nominations. Lyle Craver, Ilia Bluvshtein, Victor Plotkin, Pierre Dénommée are acclaimed with one position vacant
    If you're still looking for someone for the National Appeals Committee, I have done it for a few years, even chairing. I usually get nominated, but if no one wants to. that's OK.

If someone does want to nominate me, I would accept. My experience is that I've done it for a few years already, I'm an active arbiter, including the States and Europe, and I'm the Secretary for FIDE's Arbiters' Commission.

I nominate Aris Marghetis

Mr. President - a quick procedural question: CAN legal nominations be made for vacant positions at the AGM and if so on what terms? (E.g. reopen nominations or what exactly)

Please understand everybody this is NOT a personal opinion on Mr. Marghetis who I have previously known and worked with for a very long time quite happily.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Mr. President - a quick procedural question: CAN legal nominations be made for vacant positions at the AGM and if so on what terms? (E.g. reopen nominations or what exactly)

Please understand everybody this is NOT a personal opinion on Mr. Marghetis who I have previously known and worked with for a very long time quite happily.
    Since they are volunteering to do work for us for free I would suggest we accept all the help we can get. I would accept the volunteers and close nominations. If anyone comes in late we will find alternate ways to put them to work.

Lyle,

1. Aris was nominated for the Appeals Committee. So we have now 5 nominees for 5 seats.
    2. Would it be possible to add option Abstain to voting?

Thanks,
    Ilia Bluvshtein

In general there are 3 types of motions that come to the Assembly:
    - motions to elect one or more individuals to a given position
    - motions to add or change a policy or program of the Federation - this may or may not involve expenditure of funds
    - motions concerning the CFC's dealings with affiliates or other third parties

With respect to elections, one votes to abstain by choosing not to support any candidates - e.g. not voting. I question the utility of an explicit abstention which amounts to "none of the above". It's certainly implementable from a technical point of view.

The catch is not that we want to reject Aris but rather that the nomination period was closed and it would not be fair to exclude other candidates from consideration. That said he's certainly qualified.