Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 10. Other business

I think part of the problem is raised standards on what is required to be called a Canadian Open. A marquis player is not a requirement. A large prize fund is not a requirement. A venue capable of handling 200+ players over 9 days is. Lower the bar.

OK, I'm going to take another swing at this. Outline to me the minimum requirements to have a Canadian Open in 2016. Also tell me what the CFC is willing to kick in to make it happen. You don't have to announce it on the board, an email will suffice. I will then shut up and run away with that information to see what ideas I can come up with. You can do the same with respect to the CYCC as well. However the CYCC is not my priority. The Open is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    I think part of the problem is raised standards on what is required to be called a Canadian Open. A marquis player is not a requirement. A large prize fund is not a requirement. A venue capable of handling 200+ players over 9 days is. Lower the bar.

OK, I'm going to take another swing at this. Outline to me the minimum requirements to have a Canadian Open in 2016. Also tell me what the CFC is willing to kick in to make it happen. You don't have to announce it on the board, an email will suffice. I will then shut up and run away with that information to see what ideas I can come up with. You can do the same with respect to the CYCC as well. However the CYCC is not my priority. The Open is.
    Hi Garland. I was TD of the 2001 CO, and ended up as co-organizer after the principal person behind the bid moved. We played in a very small University town (Sackville, NB), with the nearest airport 30 minutes away in Moncton and a bigger airport 2.5 hours away (Halifax).

To me here are the minimum expectations
    Days >=8
    Rounds >=9
    Players >=200 (in smaller communities maybe 175)
    Master Level Players ..... how about prizes available to masters >= $10K - but in order to get your players up, you probably need to land at least 2 or 3 GM's at least 6 months prior to the event.
    Entry Fee = whatever the market will bear

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Hi Garland. I was TD of the 2001 CO, and ended up as co-organizer after the principal person behind the bid moved. We played in a very small University town (Sackville, NB), with the nearest airport 30 minutes away in Moncton and a bigger airport 2.5 hours away (Halifax).

To me here are the minimum expectations
    Days >=8
    Rounds >=9
    Players >=200 (in smaller communities maybe 175)
    Master Level Players ..... how about prizes available to masters >= $10K - but in order to get your players up, you probably need to land at least 2 or 3 GM's at least 6 months prior to the event.
    Entry Fee = whatever the market will bear
    However, I would not vote against a solitary bid only because of the prizes available to master players. And there have been events in the past 25 years with < 125 players.

I might be offbase here, but one of my suspicions is that the CO has in recent years morphed into trying to be something bigger than it is. I'm not sure how many COs and QOs I've played in, maybe a dozen? and I can say that Sackville was one of my favourites! In my humble opinion, once you start aiming for the big foreign names, it starts to jig the whole financial structure, quickly leading to a daunting challenge to accommodate 300 players, etc. I suspect the vast majority of 1500-2000 players just want a chesscation where they can regularly meet up with old friends, maybe golf during the day, grab beers after their round, etc. At the same time, we keep pressuring different people to run the event the same way, 9 rounds over 8 days, right after the CYCC (which is right after the World Open), before the Quebec Open, etc. I think we could see more interest if we let potential Organizers figure out winning formulas FOR THEIR SITUATION. That's what the Quebec Open has done for decades. That's what North Bay did for years. I think we might be pleasantly surprised at some fresh new ideas, and not jump all over them on ChessTalk. But this is going to take time and genuine effort. I am quite disappointed at what appears to be complaining towards the CFC that we didn't have a CO. The CFC is just a bunch of volunteers. More people need to step up more, drive rather than complain.

Blog Entries

Another idea is to come up with a rotation scheme something like the Chess Challenge

This Rotation could start next year at any number, I'm going to assume that 2017 is taken

1. West
    2. Ontario (not GTA)
    3. Quebec & Atlantic
    4. GTA

If someone can do a successful full court press on AB, we could have 2016 and 2017 in the bag and start talking to potential orgainzers in group 3.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345