Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 10. Other business

Please understand that when I referred to a 2 column format I meant that at some point the VMs would have to approve it and that things would go a lot smoother if they could see the old and the new side by side paragraph by paragraph. I was absolutely NOT talking about maintaining 2 separate documents going forward. In my opinion we probably SHOULDN'T change anything but the bylaw section - for instance except with possibly doing things like ensuring addresses etc. who REALLY needs a revision on things like "So You Want to Run a Chess Tournament" or the info on Swiss pairings or Sonnenborn-Berger etc.

On the other hand, the Charter and Bylaws stuff is definitely a legal document and we would most definitely need all our ducks in a row on that.

As for vetting things I would definitely expect most of that to be done by the President, Secretary, FIDE Rep and whoever else el Presidente felt needed to be involved and if it was done paragraph by paragraph as I suggested would probably be an easier task as any changes would be more obvious.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-11-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Rules were different then. There was no NFP act. I don't believe that you can have a committee of non-members and give them the right to make rules or even propose rule changes. You could have an advisory committee chaired by the youth coordinator but you can't delegate director type authority to such a committee which is what you seem to be asking for.
    Sorry, if I was not clear enough...

No, I'm not asking to delegate director type authority to such a committee.
    I propose an advisory committee chaired by the youth coordinator.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Sorry, if I was not clear enough...

No, I'm not asking to delegate director type authority to such a committee.
    I propose an advisory committee chaired by the youth coordinator.
    That is quite doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    That is quite doable.
    Thank you, Vlad!

So, what should we do to create such committee?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Thank you, Vlad!

So, what should we do to create such committee?
    Frank Lee is already working on it and has been talking to parents. He is in Singapore at the moment with intermittent internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    We are all well aware of the inability to have a Canadian open this year. I have heard quite often that there were many attempts to find someone to host the Canadian Open, and that those efforts met with failure.

I would like to know in greater detail what efforts were made to find organizers. Who lead the attempts to find bids? What organizers in Canada were contacted? What were the responses? What were the main reasons persons were not willing to come forward to organize the open? What is the likelihood that 2016 will not see a similar failure?

To not have a Canadian Open in Chess is akin to not having a Canadian Open in Tennis, or Golf. For the sporting organizations representing tennis and golf, such a failure is unthinkable.
    Garland - the CFC has had too much to do and too few people doing it for as long as I can remember. We are never short of critics though. The 2015 Canadian Open is just the latest example, and hopefully a wakeup call.

I am not the National Tournament Co-ordinator, but I contacted 6 organizers about 2015. I won't name them because they did not ask to be involved. 3 of them said "no way" rather quickly, the other 3 bailed after more thought. The reasons ranged from concerns about dates (the event was pushed to August) to lack of manpower, cash, an agreeable venue, time. There was also concern about doing a mediocre job in light of those challenges. I even looked at holding it myself along side the Closed (which was another imperative) but could not get the space. The CFC also offered $2-3K in seed money, and we considered buying into the FQE's AIDEF tournament and calling it the Canadian Open.

What to do about 2016? I guess we need to start poking sooner, but anyone who has run or can run a Canadian Open already knows about the vacancy.

Ok, you just proven my point. You contacted six organizers. Let's go through a list of possible locations for a Canadian Open.

Vancouver
    Victoria
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Regina
    Saskatoon
    Winnepeg
    Brandon
    London
    Hamilton
    Windsor
    Kitchener
    Toronto and GTA
    Peterborough
    Kingston
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Quebec City
    Fredricton
    St. John
    Charletown
    Halifax
    St. Johns

That's 23 possible venues, and I'm just listing larger cities. Do we not know organizers in most of these areas? This is why we need to name someone as a Tournament Coordinator, to reach out to all possible candidates. It's like doing cold-calling in sales.

Hal, I am not claiming that you are not working hard for the CFC. You do an admirable job as FIDE rep, you organize a number of major tournaments and so on. I can say the same for Vlad. But the fact that we had this happen in 2015, and that it can potentially happen again in 2016 tells me that something has to change in our approach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    Ok, you just proven my point. You contacted six organizers. Let's go through a list of possible locations for a Canadian Open.

Vancouver
    Victoria
    Calgary
    Edmonton
    Regina
    Saskatoon
    Winnepeg
    Brandon
    London
    Hamilton
    Windsor
    Kitchener
    Toronto and GTA
    Peterborough
    Kingston
    Ottawa
    Montreal
    Quebec City
    Fredricton
    St. John
    Charletown
    Halifax
    St. Johns

That's 23 possible venues, and I'm just listing larger cities.
    I think you can safely scratch Regina and Saskatoon off the list unless you want to import the organizing committee from elsewhere. A larger city does not in and of itself make a plausible venue. I have had people contact me about the funds held in trust for Saskatchewan but when I explained that they had to start a provincial association to have access, the conversation abruptly ended.

Do we not know organizers in most of these areas? This is why we need to name someone as a Tournament Coordinator, to reach out to all possible candidates.
    Naming any random someone for that post without taking into account the personality of the candidate is a recipe for disaster or at least ineffectiveness.

It's like doing cold-calling in sales.

Hal, I am not claiming that you are not working hard for the CFC. You do an admirable job as FIDE rep, you organize a number of major tournaments and so on. I can say the same for Vlad. But the fact that we had this happen in 2015, and that it can potentially happen again in 2016 tells me that something has to change in our approach.
    I think that the Sault Ste. Marie bid is a clue of what has to change. We have to start earlier and have these tournaments nailed down two years in advance so there is still lots of time to resolve any problems.

Blog Entries

The Canadian Open has for better or worse advanced to a point where it cannot realistically be held without significant sponsorship. Some organizers are simply never in a position to be able to do this.

Vlad and Fred - thank you for your comments. Garland's idealism is remarkable. Just name someone and make it so!

Most of our organizers in Canada are not dialled into their municipal deciders or other partners who can help bring about our wildest dreams. They run a club. Maybe a weekender or two.

Do we have 23 organizers in Canada who can deliver a Canadian Open? Definitely not on speed dial, and definitely not those who haven't defacto declined! If the tournament was sustainably interesting this number would triple easily. I suspect that no one wants to run a Canadian Open by simply brokering entries. They need a leg up somewhere in order to afford a marquis player or bolster the prize fund. Or pay for a venue and a professional staff.

Alternatively we move to professional event organizers. Their fee is typically 35% of gross revenues. That means a cash infusion from a touristic grant and/or a sponsor. These infusions occur occasionally but not often enough. I suspect that this infusion access will be the secret ingredient going forward.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast