Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10. Other business

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    Vlad, as I posted in post #7 of this thread, "I propose that a working committee be struck to create a new handbook in line with the current articles of incorporation. I see this a a two or three year project, where a new handbook is probably phased in a section at a time. The handbook will be supplemental to the articles of incorporation."

If you agree with this, please say so, and let's get a call for volunteers for such a committee going within this meeting.
    Sorry stepped out for a few hours to give a chess lesson and some go buy some tools.

I do think this is a great idea. Could we get some voting members willing to volunteer to be part of this group?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    It is pretty clear that the CFC Handbook is out of date, and in several sections is in conflict with the current NFP articles of incorporation.

I propose that a working committee be struck to create a new handbook in line with the current articles of incorporation. I see this a a two or three year project, where a new handbook is probably phased in a section at a time. The handbook will be supplemental to the articles of incorporation.
    I think the handbook isn't necessarily a supplement to the articles but a statement of the policies of the CFC. My intention is to keep to the provisions of the handbook as much as feasible as long as they don't conflict with the NFP act but it would be better if we could rewrite it with the NFP act in mind. We can lose quite a few sections particularly the articles of incorporation portion. It would be best if we started fresh and made sure that all portions of the handbook that dealt with a particular subject were organized together logically.

I'll volunteer, but due to other commitments I decline to lead the committee. I ask that the committee consist of at least 3 persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    How exactly can they do that? I don't see how we could possibly be more transparent than we were on both of these threads.
    If we had Youth Committee, Sam Song would submit his request to the Committee, and this information would be publicly available on July 1st, rather than during 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    It would be better but I don't see how the existence of a committee would preclude the occasional insanity on Chesstalk.
    The existence of a Committee gives you a proper way to deal with all such issues.
    I counted 24 your posts on those 2 threads.
    Instead, a short note would suffice:
    "Please submit your concerns to the CFC Youth Committee, which will deal with them".
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I do agree about a "new handbook". But I think that's different than what Michael is envisioning? If I am incorrect, my bad.
    Aris, the CFC Youth Committee would consider ALL issues, related to youth chess in Canada, including rules and regulations in the handbook.
    Let me remind you:
    When this Committee was working in 2010-2011, it prepared amendments to the handbook, which were discussed and approved by the Assembly of Governors.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Aris, the CFC Youth Committee would consider ALL issues, related to youth chess in Canada, including rules and regulations in the handbook.
    Let me remind you:
    When this Committee was working in 2010-2011, it prepared amendments to the handbook, which were discussed and approved by the Assembly of Governors.
    Rules were different then. There was no NFP act. I don't believe that you can have a committee of non-members and give them the right to make rules or even propose rule changes. You could have an advisory committee chaired by the youth coordinator but you can't delegate director type authority to such a committee which is what you seem to be asking for.

I would be happy to re-write the rating section and the Chess Foundation section. They have been kept reasonably up to date and only require a bit of cleaning up.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

As secretary (assuming I still am next week) I should be involved in this.

My preference would see us working towards a 2 column format between old and new with differences highlighted. This would need to be vetted by somebody with skill on the NFP and voted by the Assembly and would definitely be a constitutional amendment.

I am working on the assumption that MOST of the changes needed are changes of names (e.g. "Governor" -> "Voting Member"). I am also assuming that the Governor consensus that Handbook changes be kept to the minimum required to the new Act and that there is not at this time an appetite for major changes. That was the consensus in 2013-14 and 2014-15 and I see no evidence that VM views have changed.

One thing that is absolutely critical is that it contain a date effective line since future revisors of the Handbook (which I expect to be chiefly integrated passed motions) need an easy way to verify from where they need to start work. Time is precious enough without duplicating other peoples' work!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    As secretary (assuming I still am next week) I should be involved in this.

My preference would see us working towards a 2 column format between old and new with differences highlighted. This would need to be vetted by somebody with skill on the NFP and voted by the Assembly and would definitely be a constitutional amendment.

I am working on the assumption that MOST of the changes needed are changes of names (e.g. "Governor" -> "Voting Member"). I am also assuming that the Governor consensus that Handbook changes be kept to the minimum required to the new Act and that there is not at this time an appetite for major changes. That was the consensus in 2013-14 and 2014-15 and I see no evidence that VM views have changed.

One thing that is absolutely critical is that it contain a date effective line since future revisors of the Handbook (which I expect to be chiefly integrated passed motions) need an easy way to verify from where they need to start work. Time is precious enough without duplicating other peoples' work!
    I would probably have to be involved with the vetting and possibly as an observer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    I would be happy to re-write the rating section and the Chess Foundation section. They have been kept reasonably up to date and only require a bit of cleaning up.
    Excellent!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast