Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 10. Other business

Default 10. Other business

Members are welcome to post items of new business here. Please note that while non-agenda items are most welcome, because posting is welcome in this area throughout the meeting items requiring an Assembly vote for implementation will be held over to the October Quarterly Meeting.

Blog Entries

Michael Barron asked for elections of a youth committee but it was a day or so late for statutory notification so we can have a discussion about the youth committee here instead.

Default CFC Youth Committee

Dear Chess Friends,

We all know about successful CYCC organized by Windsor team last month.
    Unfortunately, we all know about controversies surrounding this event - suffice to look at ChessTalk threads discussing Official protest regarding playing up decision and alleged Pairing manipulations.

We could add to this list other issues related to youth chess which were a source of controversies in the recent years:
    Youth Olympiad teams members selection,
    WYCC official representatives selection,
    Pan American YCC official representatives selection,
    North American YCC official representatives selection,
    and so on...

Even today we know nothing about 2015 Youth Olympiad teams members selection (the event starts in 10 days - August 19) or 2015 WYCC official representatives selection (the deadline for registration is next week).

Obviously, the main problem here - is a lack of publicly available information and a lack of transparency in decision making process.

The CFC Youth Committee could solve this problem.

Thank you for your consideration!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Default U16 Olympiad team

In the case of this year's U16 Olympiad team in Mongolia the team will be

Zongyang Yu 2323 Montreal
    Diwen Shi 2241 Calgary
    Yinshi Li 2213 North York
    Joey Zhong 2212 Toronto
    Rachel Tao 1788 Windsor

We picked the highest rated applicants for girls and I believe the boys we took everyone who applied. The team was formed quite late as we didn't have enough players to form a team until after CYCC when some of the parents took to talking among themselves and were able to fill out the team roster.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-09-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't see how the existence of a committee could have averted the complaints about this year's CYCC as in one case even the CFC's harshest critics seem to agree that one of the complaints is without merit and the other has received little traction except among our usual critics. The problem I see with a committee which is anything but advisory is that we cannot give them a vote or any governance function without some fundamental adjustments in our rules or structures which would no doubt require a two thirds vote of the voting members and require additional payments to the CRA and might even require the regular members to vote depending on the details of the proposal.

I really don't get how such a committee would have, for example, made this year's CYCC more successful. In my humble opinion, and only one person was ONSITE more than I was, the volunteers who were willing to STEP UP and ACTUALLY WORK, made this event a success. This was despite the regular conspiracy theories that somehow return!

It is pretty clear that the CFC Handbook is out of date, and in several sections is in conflict with the current NFP articles of incorporation.

I propose that a working committee be struck to create a new handbook in line with the current articles of incorporation. I see this a a two or three year project, where a new handbook is probably phased in a section at a time. The handbook will be supplemental to the articles of incorporation.

We are all well aware of the inability to have a Canadian open this year. I have heard quite often that there were many attempts to find someone to host the Canadian Open, and that those efforts met with failure.

I would like to know in greater detail what efforts were made to find organizers. Who lead the attempts to find bids? What organizers in Canada were contacted? What were the responses? What were the main reasons persons were not willing to come forward to organize the open? What is the likelyhood that 2016 will not see a similar failure?

To not have a Canadian Open in Chess is akin to not having a Canadian Open in Tennis, or Golf. For the sporting organizations representing tennis and golf, such a failure is unthinkable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    .....To not have a Canadian Open in Chess is akin to not having a Canadian Open in Tennis, or Golf. For the sporting organizations representing tennis and golf, such a failure is unthinkable.
    Those are professional events, which no doubt turn a profit for the organizers.

The Canadian Open is not a professional event, and any potential organizers likely have to have some level of sponsorship (other than in the very biggest of cities, where the population base can help ensure a break even situation). Statistically speaking, I would say we are lucky that we were able to find organizers for over 40+ years, every single year. If this was to happen again in the next few years, then we may have a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    I really don't get how such a committee would have, for example, made this year's CYCC more successful.
    Aris,
    Let me reiterate:
    the main problem here - is a lack of publicly available information and a lack of transparency in decision making process.

CFC Youth Committee could make the information publicly available and decision making process more transparent.

If you still don't get it, please read the following threads on ChessTalk:
    http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...YCC-organizers
    and
    http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...g-Manipulation

Don't you think such discussions on ChessTalk harm CYCC impression and your personal reputation?
    Wouldn't it be better, if such issues were discussed by the CFC Youth Committee, rather than on ChessTalk?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast