Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9. BIDS FOR 2016/2017 Events

Blog Entries

The handbook was the law of the CFC. It is still looked to for guidance on the policy of the CFC. It is not the law of the CFC because it is clearly not compliant with the NFP act. With respect to the officers of the corporation the act says

• 138. (1) Directors of a corporation may appoint from their number a managing director or a committee of directors and delegate to the managing director or committee any of the powers of the directors.

Limits on authority

(2) Despite subsection (1), no managing director and no committee of directors has authority to
    (a) submit to the members any question or matter requiring the approval of members;
    (b) fill a vacancy among the directors or in the office of public accountant or appoint additional directors;
    (c) issue debt obligations except as authorized by the directors;
    (d) approve any financial statements referred to in section 172;
    (e) adopt, amend or repeal by-laws; or
    (f) establish contributions to be made, or dues to be paid, by members under section 30.

Officers

142. Subject to the articles, the by-laws and any unanimous member agreement,
    (a) the directors may designate the offices of the corporation, appoint as officers persons of full capacity, specify their duties and delegate to them powers to manage the activities and affairs of the corporation, except powers to do anything referred to in subsection 138(2);
    (b) a director may be appointed to any office of the corporation; and
    (c) two or more offices of the corporation may be held by the same person.

When we were voting on the continuation Pierre made a big deal of the fact that under the NFP act directors (members of the board) could not delegate their authority to non-members of the board.

TOURNAMENT COORDINATOR

8E. The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country.

I think we can agree that without a significant budget this is simply impossible.

The Tournament Coordinator will be responsible for soliciting individuals to bid on and organize major tournaments in Canada, including, but not limited to:

The Canadian Open Championship

The Canadian Closed Championship

The Tournament Coordinator shall have delegated to him/her by the Executive, their obligation under section 1201 of the Olympiad Regulations to appoint the Olympiad Coordinator. The Tournament Coordinator will then oversee and work with the Olympiad Coordinator re the National and Women's Olympiad Teams. [Motion 2010-15]

The problem with this is that there is no section 1201 of the Olympiad Regulations. I do not believe that you can require the directors to delegate their authority on any matter to a non-director since they will still have the liability as a director.

This problem is not unlike the unfilled positions for various co-ordinators. I agree with Halldor that this is serious. As the source of several "vague statements from the executive" about possible Canadian Opens in 2015 I can confirm that it was a frustrating exercise.

Rumour has it that Alberta is looking at the Canadian Open next year. Kitchener is a possibility for the CYCC in early July. Just remember that next year the WYCC splits, and we have to be able to name our roster for the U14,16,18 (in Khanty Mansiysk, which starts September 1, 2016) by July 15 in order to accommodate the visas et al. The younger group will be hosted in Batumi Georgia starting October 18 which is more manageable.

For SS Marie in 2017, we must be ready for an August 21 start at the World 8,10,12 in Brazil, then U14,16,18 in Uruguay September 16.

I'm going to have to discuss this with others to see if there is a legal basis to this. The NFP act has provisions to appoint committees, and I don't see the difference between this and trustees for the Foundation on a liability standpoint.

Regardless, this forms an example of why the handbook needs to be updated. At least it appears we have activity on that front.

Blog Entries

Maybe we can reword the duties of the Tournament Co-ordinator for the next meeting and then open nominations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    This problem is not unlike the unfilled positions for various co-ordinators. I agree with Halldor that this is serious. As the source of several "vague statements from the executive" about possible Canadian Opens in 2015 I can confirm that it was a frustrating exercise.

Rumour has it that Alberta is looking at the Canadian Open next year. Kitchener is a possibility for the CYCC in early July. Just remember that next year the WYCC splits, and we have to be able to name our roster for the U14,16,18 (in Khanty Mansiysk, which starts September 1, 2016) by July 15 in order to accommodate the visas et al. The younger group will be hosted in Batumi Georgia starting October 18 which is more manageable.

For SS Marie in 2017, we must be ready for an August 21 start at the World 8,10,12 in Brazil, then U14,16,18 in Uruguay September 16.
    I spoke with my source in Calgary and the downturn in the oil price has led to massive layoffs and downsizing and he is skeptical that they could count on much in the way of private donations from companies. That said, they had recently received a contact from tourism bureau officials which said that they noticed that it had been about 20 years since their last Canadian Open Chess Championship and offering to do whatever they could to host another one some time soon. Previously we discussed holding a CO/CYCC in August to avoid conflicting with the Calgary Stampede. At this point I think we want to pursue other options. We were going to talk in a few weeks again when a key person in the Alberta Chess Association gets back from vacation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Maybe we can reword the duties of the Tournament Co-ordinator for the next meeting and then open nominations.
    That sounds like a plan. Is there someone out there who can chair the handbook committee?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    That sounds like a plan. Is there someone out there who can chair the handbook committee?
    There are two Director positions without specific responsibilities. We could ask those one of those two to chair or both to co-chair. Once there is a chair, volunteers might be easier to obtain :-)

When can we expect a decision on the event proposals? Is there a deadline for competing bids?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    When can we expect a decision on the event proposals? Is there a deadline for competing bids?
    Vlad can respond, but if there are no competing bids presented by the end of the meeting, I assume the Executive will decide on their acceptability. I don't see any reason why either would not be accepted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Vlad can respond, but if there are no competing bids presented by the end of the meeting, I assume the Executive will decide on their acceptability. I don't see any reason why either would not be accepted.
    I concur. If no competing bids emerge before the end of the meeting I think both bids will be accepted with possible minor tweaks. I don't see any tweaks necessary for the BC Canadian Seniors. The CO/CYCC 2017 bid questions might concern the dates and the addendum about possibly having a seven day CYCC which will require consultation with players/parents to determine whether this is an acceptable change from the usual format.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast