Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9. BIDS FOR 2016/2017 Events

Looks like an excellent bid. I didn't see any mention of 7 days schedule for CYCC.

Dates Tentative: CYCC July 3-6th or 7th, 2017.

In my opinion, we should expect less players than in Windsor - Montreal corridor. However, it's a good idea to organize CYCC outside of this area (sometimes).

Assuming BC's proposal for the 2016 Senior goes through, I hope that all of you who are eligible take this opportunity to visit beautiful BC.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Plotkin View Post
    Looks like an excellent bid. I didn't see any mention of 7 days schedule for CYCC.

Dates Tentative: CYCC July 3-6th or 7th, 2017.

In my opinion, we should expect less players than in Windsor - Montreal corridor. However, it's a good idea to organize CYCC outside of this area (sometimes).
    I believe it (possible 7 day schedule) is in the addendum and would be subject to reaction of the potential players and parents. There was a similar idea floated from one of the organizers that contacted me regarding a possible 2016 CO/CYCC bid.

Can we get on with getting a Canadian Open/CYCC for 2016? Ottawa did these tournaments in 2007 and 2013. We are a possibility for 2018, 2019 or 2020.

Without a 2016 bid we need the Executive to ask the 5-7 groups with history of holding these events to step up. Failing a step-up we have to have an open discussion of this at the next quarterly meeting. I am not a fan of vague statements from the executive about some interest in the Canadian Open 2015 that did not work out.

What can the CFC do to get these events staged in 2016?

What is the approval process for the two bids in this thread? Do the voting members decide or the executive?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Where there are multiple bids under consideration for the same event the voting members would decide between the bids. Where there is one bid the executive would normally look at the proposal, perhaps offer some suggestions for adjustments if necessary and approve the bid assuming it was acceptable. In the case of the two bids before us the comments of the voting members would be taken into account in coming to a decision.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-12-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Reading the english chat section, Pierre makes a valid point. Why don't we have a Tournament Coordinator?

As per the "outdated" CFC Handbook:

TOURNAMENT COORDINATOR

8E. The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country. The Tournament Coordinator will be responsible for soliciting individuals to bid on and organize major tournaments in Canada, including, but not limited to:

The Canadian Open Championship
    The Canadian Closed Championship

Given what happened in 2015, it appears that there is a real need for this role to exist.

What section of the NFP act negated the existence of a Tournament Coordinator?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    Reading the english chat section, Pierre makes a valid point. Why don't we have a Tournament Coordinator?

As per the "outdated" CFC Handbook:

TOURNAMENT COORDINATOR

8E. The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country. The Tournament Coordinator will be responsible for soliciting individuals to bid on and organize major tournaments in Canada, including, but not limited to:

The Canadian Open Championship
    The Canadian Closed Championship

Given what happened in 2015, it appears that there is a real need for this role to exist.

What section of the NFP act negated the existence of a Tournament Coordinator?
    The people who have done the job have indicated that it is an impossible task. I don't see how you can train organizers and directors across the country, particularly without a budget. If there is a groundswell of sentiment that the position should be retained then I will direct that an election be held. Hal Bond did this job last year in addition to the FIDE rep job. I really think in order for this position not to be counter productive the person would have to have a good working relationship with potential organizers and that may not be the case with the potential nominee here.

Whether or not the job is a difficult one is not the point. Whether there is a "groundswell of sentiment" is not the point. The handbook indicates that this role exists and is to be filled. You may or may not be correct about Hal's diligence to try to find bids for 2015, and you may or may not be correct regarding the suitability of Pierre for the role. But that is for the voting members to decide. The office should be declared and elections held.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best View Post
    Whether or not the job is a difficult one is not the point. Whether there is a "groundswell of sentiment" is not the point. The handbook indicates that this role exists and is to be filled. You may or may not be correct about Hal's diligence to try to find bids for 2015, and you may or may not be correct regarding the suitability of Pierre for the role. But that is for the voting members to decide. The office should be declared and elections held.
    I think there is a problem with provisions of the position as outlined in the old handbook relative to the NFP act. I don't have time at the moment to articulate those problems but will try to do so when I return after my chess lessons tonight. The omission of an election for this position was purely because we didn't have one this last year so I didn't even think of it. I have to refresh my memory of the provisions of the NFP act to point to the exact clauses in the NFP act where the problem exists. I have a lesson in ten minutes across town and that will interrupt my participation in this meeting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast