Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9. BIDS FOR 2016/2017 Events

Default 9. BIDS FOR 2016/2017 Events

Voting Members are welcome to post bids in the appropriate message threads. These are as follows:

9A 2016 Canadian Open

9B 2016 CYCC

9C 2017 Canadian Open/CYCC Bid received from Sault St. Marie

9D 2016 Canadian Seniors Tournament bid from BC

9E Any other Bids/Business:

9F Next Canadian Women's Closed

If you are posting a bid please use the 9A-9F title listed above

9.D.
    CFC Event Proposal
    Event:
    2016 Canadian Senior Championship
    Comfort Inn, 8255 166th St., Surrey, BC. Excellent pub and Tim Hortons restaurant on site
    Date(s):
    24-26 June 2016
    Organizing Body:
    Victoria Jung-Doknjas, Paul Leblanc
    TDs:
    Joe Roback, NA
    Internet, social media:
    Dedicated website and Facebook page, links on CFC and BCCF websites
    Tournament Room Description:
    1100 sq ft, rectangular, room for 44 players, some natural light as well as good overhead lighting
    Skittles room:
    200 sq ft close to tournament room
    Format and Rounds:
    6 round swiss
    Time Control:
    Game in 90 and 30 sec increment
    Sections:
    One section. Top 65 yr and 50 yr players recognized
    Equipment:
    (chess sets, clocks, score sheets, etc) All provided
    Prize Fund:
    Trophies, $500 guaranteed prize fund.
    1. Can Senior Champion 65+ wins Trophy + $130
    2. 2nd Place 65+ wins Trophy + $60
    3. Can Senior Champion 50+ wins Trophy + $130
    4. 2nd Place 50+ wins Trophy + $60
    5. U1800 Senior Champion wins Trophy + $60
    6. U1600 Senior Champion wins Trophy + $60
    7. Can Senior Woman Champion wins Trophy
    8. Can Senior Champion 80+ wins Trophy
    Entry Fees:
    $50 early, $65 late
    Rated:
    FIDE, CFC
    CFC Revenue or Financial Support:
    None requested
    Date submitted:
    6 July 2015 (Victoria Jung-Doknjas and Paul Leblanc)
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Default 2017 Canadian Open and CYCC bid by Sault Ste. Marie

2017 Canadian Youth Chess Championship- Sault Ste. Marie Proposed Budget
    Income
    Account Budget Committed Actual
    Entry Fees (based on 250 entries) $ 56,250.00
    Sponsor Government Federal TBA
    Sponsor Government Provincial TBA
    Tourism Sault Ste. Marie $ 10,000.00
    Sponsor(s) Business
    Sponsor(s) Private
    Chess Sponsor(s) TBA
    Commission
    Other Income (Residence) $ 25,000.00
    Concessions TBA
    Total Income $ 91,250.00
    Expenses
    Account
    CFC Portion/ Prize Fund $ 37,500.00
    Trophies/ Medals $ 4,000.00
    Rent $ 2,500.00
    Advertising $ 3,500.00
    Organization/ TD Fees/ Volunteers $ 10,000.00
    Equipment $ 4,000.00
    Web Expenses $ 2,000.00
    Appearance Fees
    All Player Transportation $ 4,000.00
    Strong Player Other
    CFC Rating Fee (250 players) $ 125.00
    FIDE Rating Fee (@125 players) $ 312.50
    Reception $ 7,500.00
    Rental (Residence) $ 12,500.00
    Miscellaneous $ 2,500.00
    Other
    Total Expenses $ 90,437.50
    Profit/Loss $ 812.50
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-09-2015 at 09:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Default 2017 Canadian Open and CYCC bid by Sault Ste. Marie

2017 Canadian Open Chess Championship
    Income
    Account Budget
    Entry Fees (based on 200 entries) $ 30,000.00
    Sponsor Government Federal TBA
    Sponsor Government Provincial TBA
    Tourism Sault Ste. Marie $ 10,000.00
    Sponsor(s) Business $ 5,000.00
    Sponsor(s) Private $ 10,000.00
    Chess Sponsor(s) TBA
    Commission
    Other Income (Residence) $ 50,000.00
    Concessions TBA
    Total Income $ 105,000.00
    Expenses
    Account
    CFC Portion/ Prize Fund $ 30,000.00
    Trophies/ Medals $ 500.00
    Rent $ 2,500.00
    Advertising $ 2,500.00
    Organization/ TD Fees/ Volunteers $ 15,000.00
    Equipment $ 2,000.00
    Web Expenses $ 1,000.00
    Appearance Fees $ 10,000.00
    All Player Transportation $ 3,000.00
    Strong Player Other $ 12,000.00
    CFC Rating Fee (250 players) $ 850.00
    FIDE Rating Fee (@125 players) $ 250.00
    Reception
    Rental (Residence) $ 25,000.00
    Miscellaneous
    Other
    Total Expenses $ 104,600.00
    Profit/Loss $ 400.00
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-09-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Default CYCC/CO bid by Sault Ste. Marie 2017

The bid presented by Roman Peredun on behalf of the Sault Ste. Marie committee included an impressive series of letters of support from Christian Provenzano the Mayor, Ian McMillan the Executive Director of Tourism Sault Ste. Marie, Janice Beatty VP of Sault College where the tournament would be held, and Lori Wagner Porter Airlines Manager for Groups Charters and Conferences.

The two pdf files that were submitted along with the package are too large to post here. I will try to figure out a way to deliver them before the end of the meeting.

There are a few slight errors in the budgets that I have pointed out like the rating fees for the Canadian Open were a cut and paste from CYCC but overall a very impressive bid. The organizers have committed to raising more funds to make an even larger tournament. The proposal is their minimum promise and sponsorship.

Sault Ste. Marie is pleased to submit a bid to host both the 2017 Canadian Youth Chess Championship and the 2017
    Canadian Open Chess Championship in our Naturally Gifted community.
    Sault Ste. Marie is the Natural Choice; centrally located in Ontario, poised in the middle of the magnificent Great
    Lakes and strategically placed in the centre of North America. As an International Border City, Sault Ste. Marie
    provides all the first class facilities and amenities one would expect in a larger urban setting- often at more affordable
    prices!
    Through our partnering airlines, travel to the city of Sault Ste. Marie is quicker than driving across most urban city
    centers. With discounted group rates with Porter Airlines and Air Canada, travellers can connect flights leaving from
    Toronto and in less than ninety minutes be in our city’s downtown core. With minimal traffic, it is easy and convenient
    for guests to reach their accommodations and attractions quickly and affordably.
    Sault Ste. Marie has an established relationship with our partner airlines and preliminary planning has started to
    explore travel options including charter flights and discounted travel rates for attendees of the 2017 Chess
    Championships. Tourism Sault Ste. Marie is committed to assist the organizing committee in negotiating discounted
    rates and convenient and affordable flights for attendees for both events.
    With over 1200 guest rooms in brand-name hotels, there is no shortage of affordable accommodation options. All
    facilities in Sault Ste. Marie are competitively priced, most often at more affordable rates than larger urban centers,
    and offer free parking and free Wi-Fi services.
    While visiting Sault Ste. Marie visitors will have plenty to see and do. Our community offers a wide variety of unique
    attractions including the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre, Tree Top Adventures, Entomica and the ErmatingerClergue
    Heritage Discovery Centre. Through the support of our attraction partners, Tourism Sault Ste. Marie is
    pleased to work together to potentially offer discounted rates for participants and their families to encourage everyone
    to get out and see our community during your stay.
    The tournament venue- Sault College- is located in the north central section of the city extremely close to many major
    hotels and local motels, shopping and dining. With recent infrastructure upgrades and new construction, Sault
    College offers many attractive areas that are sure to be suitable for tournament play. Also, the Sault College
    Residence will be made available for additional accommodation options for participants who wish to stay onsite.
    Tourism Sault Ste. Marie recognizes the economic impact of hosting an event of this size, and as such is committed to
    investing $10,000 to help offset the cost of facility rental and travel. Additionally, Tourism Sault Ste. Marie will
    continue to work with the organizing committee to complete applications for additional funding from local, provincial
    and federal levels.
    We are confident that Sault Ste. Marie will provide an incredible backdrop to the 2017 Canadian Youth Chess
    Championships and the 2017 Canadian Open Chess Championships. We are thrilled to have the opportunity to bid to
    host these back-to-back national and international events in our community.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-09-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Chess Federation of CanadaBid Deliverables
    2017 Canadian Youth Chess Championship &2017 Canadian Open Chess Championship
    Organizing Body Sault Ste. Marie Chess Association
    Chief Organizer Roman Peredun
    Organizing Committee
    Roman Peredun
    Andrew Peredun
    Tim Pearson
    Alana Kenopic - Tourism Sault Ste.
    MarieKarli Campbell - Sault College
    Trevor Rising - Sault College

Advertising / Publicity Independent website, cfc webpage, local news, 3rd party chess websites Internet Site / Coverage Independent website

City Sault Ste. Marie, OntarioAddress 443 Northern Avenue, Sault Ste. Marie, ONP6B 4J3
    Location Description Sault College Health and Wellness Centre & Essar Hall -newly constructed -free onsite parking -150 residence rooms on site -onsite cafeteria / restaurant
    Multiple brand hotels, motels and restaurants within 10 minwalking distance
    Tournament Room(s)20,000 square foot gymnasium carpeted, air conditioned
    pictures attached
    Analysis Room(s)3 available rooms each comfortably seating 40
    large common area with tables pictures attached
    Registration Online through website, onsite
    Bid Deliverables Continued
    Dates Tentative: CYCC July 3-6th or 7th, 2017
    Tentative: Open July 8-16th, 2017
    FormatCYCC: standard age divisions swiss or round robin based on entries
    Open: sectional swissOPENU2300 U2000 U1700 U1400 / unr fee to play up (<100 points), highest rating used
    Time Controls 40/90 + 30 SD with 30 sec inc (FIDE OFFICIAL)
    Rounds CYCC: 7 Open: 10
    Playoffs To break first place ties only Rated By CFC (all sections), FIDE where possible
    Equipment Provided Sets, clocks
    Prize Fund $30,000.00 or more Entry Fees CYCC: as mandated by CFC ($225)
    Open: $150 early then increasing estimated TDs Hal Bond TBD
    Side EventsDaily Events: blitz, bughouse, other variant tournaments
    opening / closing ceremonies
    lectures / simuls from invited players
    possible GM training camp
    Accommodation Sault College Residences, Hotels/ Motels nearby(see attached)
    Budgets Attached for both CYCC and OpenDate Submitted:Submitted By: Roman Peredun
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 08-09-2015 at 10:08 PM.

A very interesting bid (CYCC/CO). A few comments :

- The idea of renting the residence is interesting, although I am not convinced all the rooms would be rented.
    - Quite a few of the numbers seem way too high to me (TD fees, equipment, web expenses).
    - I would budget much more than $10 000 in appearance fees if having norms is a goal (especially if this includes rooms).
    - The sponsorship goal is very ambitious. Does the CFC have any guarantee that the organizers have the financial support required in case of a deficit (as the tournament seems extremely risky)?
    - I honestly do not like the idea of having a CYCC on 7 days. I know some parents will prefer that, but many simply won't be able to take vacations for the tournament (or afford 7 nights of hotel). It could greatly hurt the participation.
    - What is ''All player transportation''?

In any case, this is a very strong big. However, I felt I had to ask these questions as it is in my opinion a very risky bid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    A very interesting bid (CYCC/CO). A few comments :

- The idea of renting the residence is interesting, although I am not convinced all the rooms would be rented.
    - Quite a few of the numbers seem way too high to me (TD fees, equipment, web expenses).
    - I would budget much more than $10 000 in appearance fees if having norms is a goal (especially if this includes rooms).
    - The sponsorship goal is very ambitious. Does the CFC have any guarantee that the organizers have the financial support required in case of a deficit (as the tournament seems extremely risky)?
    - I honestly do not like the idea of having a CYCC on 7 days. I know some parents will prefer that, but many simply won't be able to take vacations for the tournament (or afford 7 nights of hotel). It could greatly hurt the participation.
    - What is ''All player transportation''?

In any case, this is a very strong big. However, I felt I had to ask these questions as it is in my opinion a very risky bid.
    They have $35,000 in funds already raised and committed by my understanding with the potential for much more. This is approximately two years before play starts. Much of the fundraising is through the local tourism office and is within their local budget approval. If required there is the potential for more funds either through local businesses, local government, provincial or federal sources of funds. The local group is well connected. Two of the group came down and helped with the CYCC in Windsor so they got their hands dirty and know what to expect. They stayed in the home of the chair of the organizing committee. The letter of support from Porter airlines is quite impressive. There will be no trouble getting there. I am also impressed with their plans for making Sault Ste. Marie a chess hub with ideas for North Bay type of tournaments and chess festivals.

The cost for seven days should be comparable with the costs for four days for most CYCC's we have had for several years especially for those who enter early and stay at the residence.
    The budget for strong players at the Canadian Open appears to be $22,000.

The bid package is quite impressive and included a video which is just too large to post. The letters of support are a series of pdf images so I couldn't copy and paste them. I am convinced that this will be the richest Canadian Open in recent memory which should attract plenty of attention and players.

PDF files can easily be attached to Forum messages as is the case with the Financials which are attached to the Treasurer's statements in the outgoing meeting. (http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...surer-s-Report)

Am not sure about videos but perhaps an external link could be supplied? (Other organizations I've been associated with have used Youtube for this purpose and then e-mailed the link. Undoubtedly there are other ways)

I'm pleased to see a comprehensive bid for 2017, but are there any bids for 2016 yet?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast