Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8B. Kalev Pugi Fund Committee (3 positions)

Default 8B. Kalev Pugi Fund Committee (3 positions)

No nominations being received during the first 3 days I am directed to re-open nominations for the Kalev Pugi Fund Committee.

The following is quoted from the CFC Handbook section 1008:

1008. KALEV PUGI FUND - The will of former Chess Federation of Canada President Kalev Pugi bequested $10,000 to the Chess Foundation of Canada to be set aside as a seperate fund called the "Kalev Pugi Chess Education Fund". Subsequent donations have increased this amount to $20,000 (as of 2009). The income generated from that fund is to go toward assisting young Canadian chess players under the age of 18 years to travel to chess competitions and tournaments for the purpose of increasing their chess playing skills and education.

It is the responsibility of the Chess Foundation of Canada to manage the money in accordance with the terms of the will. At the Annual General Meeting of the Chess Federation of Canada each year, a committee of three persons is elected to select any players for assistance from the fund that have a need and meet the qualifications under the terms of the will. Applications from or on behalf of eligible recipients may be submitted to the Board of Trustees via the CFC at any time.

Nominations are hereby open for the 3 open positions. (nominations close at 6pm ET August 13 - day 5)
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-11-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Blog Entries

I nominate Frank Lee (I think we've agreed in the past that the Youth Co-ordinator should be on this committee).

Blog Entries

I will also nominate Paul LeBlanc (as there is a natural advantage to having the Treasurer of the Foundation on this Committee).

I nominate Lyle Craver.

I decline - I've had enough years on the Committee and it's time for someone else to have the chance.

I also decline. And I nominate Patrick MacDonald. I believe these positions should be filled by people knowledgeable and involved in junior chess.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

I would suggest we ensure that not all 3 members are from the same province. I was thinking Felix Dumont or Richard Berube would be good for QC and I'm sure there must be a few good choices for AB. Another thought - what about one of the coaches on the CYCC team ?

Much as I would like AB participation none of the AB outgoing VMs have responded to repeated e-mails concerning who the ACA elected at their AGM to fill their 5 VM spots. That's why you haven't heard from them at this meeting. The ACA AGM is usually in June. While as national Secretary (I use this terminology to distinguish my dual roles of Secretary of both the CFC and BC Chess Federation - obviously BC reports its new VMs quickly since I do the BCCF Minutes!) I routinely ask for the new slates it is beyond my power update these if I do not get responses to requests on this subject. My view on Voting Members is that it is primarily the outgoing members who have the responsibility of informing the CFC who their successors are even though I try to "tickle their memory". BC (for obvious reasons) and ON (usually done by the OCA president) have usually been the first to report their VMs for the following year during my time as CFC Secretary.

As for Quebec, all three of their representatives have full access to this meeting and to the Forum and are welcome to nominate any qualified candidate they choose.

I remind members that that "qualified" means "current, adult CFC member". Being a member of the Voting Member Assembly is NOT a requirement for any CFC Executive, Officer or Committee member. For VMs there is the additional requirement that you be a regular resident of the province you're representing.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 08-13-2015 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I would suggest we ensure that not all 3 members are from the same province.
    I nominate Felix Dumont and Maxim Doroshenko.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    I nominate Felix Dumont and Maxim Doroshenko.
    Michael. Can you provide a one or two line bio for Maxim.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast