Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4. Nomination of Candidates for Election

Hybrid View

Default 4. Nomination of Candidates for Election

All the threads in section 4 are for nomination of Executive Members and Officers of the Chess Federation of Canada. The qualification to hold any office is the same as to be a CFC Voting Member, e.g. of legal age, a current CFC member and a current Canadian resident.

In addition section 14 of the Handbook says:

14. INELIGIBILITY AS A DIRECTOR

No person may be elected or appointed as a member of the Board of Directors if he is involved in the ownership or operation of a chess related business or earns a substantial part of his income from a chess related business. Any Director becoming involved in such chess related business during the term of his office shall resign as a Director. A professional chess player, chess teacher, chess coach, tournament director, or a player who writes chess books, a chess column, articles for a newspaper(s) or magazine(s) shall not be excluded from being a Director by this clause.

Nominations close at 6pm ET August 11th (Day 3). Following the close of nominations elections begin and continue through 6pm ET August 14 (Day 6)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    All the threads in section 4 are for nomination of Executive Members and Officers of the Chess Federation of Canada. The qualification to hold any office is the same as to be a CFC Voting Member, e.g. of legal age, a current CFC member and a current Canadian resident.

In addition section 14 of the Handbook says:

14. INELIGIBILITY AS A DIRECTOR

No person may be elected or appointed as a member of the Board of Directors if he is involved in the ownership or operation of a chess related business or earns a substantial part of his income from a chess related business. Any Director becoming involved in such chess related business during the term of his office shall resign as a Director. A professional chess player, chess teacher, chess coach, tournament director, or a player who writes chess books, a chess column, articles for a newspaper(s) or magazine(s) shall not be excluded from being a Director by this clause.

Nominations close at 6pm ET August 11th (Day 3). Following the close of nominations elections begin and continue through 6pm ET August 14 (Day 6)
    I believe that this provision could be successfully challenged under the NFP act. The handbook has been used as a guide in our executive decisions but as we move further down the road from our continuation under the NFP act it becomes more and more evident that we really need a new handbook. This provision does not serve any useful purpose in 2015. If one of the few people who seem to be blocked by this provision were to seek to run for an executive position I would rule that they be permitted to run. If the voting members object to such a person running they could vote for the alternatives.

I would think most of the above could be handled under conflict of interest rules no? It seems to me that such a person if elected would be constantly recusing him/herself.

Blog Entries

I would think most of the above could be handled under conflict of interest rules no? It seems to me that such a person if elected would be constantly recusing him/herself.
    The only people who are in conflict with that provision are those who sell books since everyone else is excluded. I can't think of one decision that I have made in the time I have been on the executive which would have resulted in a conflict aside from questions having to do with the CMA book contract.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post

I am willing to stand for President, Treasurer, Tournament Coordinator and National Appeal Committee member.

I am also willing to stand as a Quebec Voting Member.
    I noticed this post by Pierre Dénommée on the CFC forum. Since he is running for multiple offices I have posted it here.

What one says in the CFC Forum outside the Meeting Room area doesn't count - it's what is said and done here. It's like me saying on a call-in show "I would like to be prime minister" - somehow I suspect Messrs. Harper, Mulcair, Trudeau and Ms. May might have something to say about that....

I have no problem with a contested election for any position but candidates need to be nominated in the Incoming Members forum.

Blog Entries

As Pierre isn't an Incoming Member, he has no way of posting ....... how should he proceed ?

Talk to a VM and get him/her to nominate him.

Blog Entries

Talk to a VM and get him/her to nominate him.
    I think I'd like to have a ruling from Vlad. In the old style, a non-Governor could simply nominate themselves.

As per the NFP articles "Subject to the Regulations under the Act, any proposal may include nominations for the election of directors if the proposal is signed by not less than 1% of members entitled to vote at the meeting at which the proposal is to be presented."

Based on this article, it appears that a voting member has to propose a nomination. This would satisfy the 1% requirement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast