Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9. New business

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Einarsson View Post
    Another question is the status of the chess magazine? It has been late and the last edition has been the November 2014 magazine.
    I just received the next issue December 2014 which comes in at 117 pages. It will go out to the members shortly.

It is good that the December edition will be coming out very shortly but this is May. The issue with the lateness of the magazine has to be addressed, otherwise we could potentially lose membership because of this. Right now our membership base is declining and needs to be addressed and we should not be adding items to further potentially enhance our declining membership base. Membership is expecting "value for money" for their memberships and we are not delivering on this deliverable. This items needs to be discussed in further detail as maybe it is time to look at other alternatives as most items are time sensitive if we do not deliver in an appropriate time frame.

I was speaking to a member this afternoon who asked that the ability for a non-member to play in a tournament by paying a reduced "tournament fee" be re-implemented. He pointed out that this was in place several years ago where the CFC abolished the practice. His argument is primary the costs associated with playing in tournaments as a member (especially when travel, food, etc. are included). I'll have to apologize in advance as I've always maintained my membership when I was playing so never considered the "tournament fee". I also wasn't around when the this fee was abolished. Can anyone shed some light on this topic for me ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I was speaking to a member this afternoon who asked that the ability for a non-member to play in a tournament by paying a reduced "tournament fee" be re-implemented. He pointed out that this was in place several years ago where the CFC abolished the practice. His argument is primary the costs associated with playing in tournaments as a member (especially when travel, food, etc. are included). I'll have to apologize in advance as I've always maintained my membership when I was playing so never considered the "tournament fee". I also wasn't around when the this fee was abolished. Can anyone shed some light on this topic for me ?
    The tournament fee was not abolished but it was raised to $20 quite some time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Einarsson View Post
    It is good that the December edition will be coming out very shortly but this is May. The issue with the lateness of the magazine has to be addressed, otherwise we could potentially lose membership because of this. Right now our membership base is declining and needs to be addressed and we should not be adding items to further potentially enhance our declining membership base. Membership is expecting "value for money" for their memberships and we are not delivering on this deliverable. This items needs to be discussed in further detail as maybe it is time to look at other alternatives as most items are time sensitive if we do not deliver in an appropriate time frame.
    I totally agree with this too.
    The magazine is one of the largest CFC expenditure, and it should be managed accordingly.
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We do not have charitable status any longer. It appears that we are unlikely to get charitable status in the current environment. We have really not been pursuing charitable status as that ship has sailed.
    There were talks about a athletic or recreational sports association (necessary to get proper terms) with similar status as a charitable organization. Is this path also abandon?
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    There were talks about a athletic or recreational sports association (necessary to get proper terms) with similar status as a charitable organization. Is this path also abandon?
    It has not been abandoned but unless we are treated as a sport organization that receives official funding there is little benefit and some additional costs. Even when we were a charity we did not receive much in the way of charitable donations. I think that factored into the decision not to fight to keep the charitable status. I think that if we apply now being exactly what we are at the moment we would be denied.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/chrts-gvng/...s-027-eng.html

For example, there is some hope but I think we have to move ourselves in the direction of providing an educational function. This is part of the reason that I would like to move forward on the online chess initiative with FIDE as it does provide a platform for training specifically aimed at FIDE's Chess in the schools initiative:

4.2 Advancement of education

This category of charitable purposes typically includes programs that train the mind and advance the knowledge and abilities of participants. Programs that include sport and clearly further an educational purpose can qualify under the advancement of education. For example, youth groups, like Guides and Scouts, where sport is one component of an overall educational program, can be charitable at law.

The courts have held that sport as part of a school curriculum or program is charitable as advancing education 8 , recognizing it as being necessary to the development of a well-balanced student. The courts have held this to be the case even when the sports activity is carried out under the auspices of, or supported by, a separate entity, but forms part of a school's educational program. 9

A school program structured in an alternative manner may qualify for registration. For example, an educational institute set up to help young athletes-in-training pursue their academic studies in the morning and undertake physical training in the afternoon might qualify, as long as the main purpose of the organization is simply to facilitate completion of academic requirements by ensuring that the athletes have access to flexible course schedules. The focus of the organization must be on meeting academic standards and requirements, with the athletic success of the student and the promotion of sport remaining incidental by-products of the program.

The courts have not recognized as charitable the selection and training of individuals with a view to developing professional athletes for a career in sport.

Every organization in Canada that is currently registered as a sporting federation has some athletic component without exception.

Paul, do you know why the CFC Foundation lost its charitable status ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    Paul, do you know why the CFC Foundation lost its charitable status ?
    The foundation has never been a separate legal entity. The CFC lost its charitable status because the contention of Revenue Canada was that it had originally been awarded charitable status in error.

Exactly right Vlad
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast