Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9. New business

Hybrid View

Default 9. New business

Items to be discussed as 'New Business' should be posted here

Would like to get an update on the charitable status standing? The information that would be appreciated would be where we are on this item, what hurdles still have to be overcome and what are the potential timelines on the options.

Another question is the status of the chess magazine? It has been late and the last edition has been the November 2014 magazine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Einarsson View Post
    Another question is the status of the chess magazine? It has been late and the last edition has been the November 2014 magazine.
    I just received the next issue December 2014 which comes in at 117 pages. It will go out to the members shortly.

It is good that the December edition will be coming out very shortly but this is May. The issue with the lateness of the magazine has to be addressed, otherwise we could potentially lose membership because of this. Right now our membership base is declining and needs to be addressed and we should not be adding items to further potentially enhance our declining membership base. Membership is expecting "value for money" for their memberships and we are not delivering on this deliverable. This items needs to be discussed in further detail as maybe it is time to look at other alternatives as most items are time sensitive if we do not deliver in an appropriate time frame.

It is good that the December edition will be coming out very shortly but this is May. The issue with the lateness of the magazine has to be addressed, otherwise we could potentially lose membership because of this. Right now our membership base is declining and needs to be addressed and we should not be adding items to further potentially enhance our declining membership base. Membership is expecting "value for money" for their memberships and we are not delivering on this deliverable. This items needs to be discussed in further detail as maybe it is time to look at other alternatives as most items are time sensitive if we do not deliver in an appropriate time frame.
    I totally agree with this too.
    The magazine is one of the largest CFC expenditure, and it should be managed accordingly.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Sorry to sound like a broken record: in my opinion the root of all problems is chess not being recognized as a sport in this country! This is where all starts no matter what we try to do, including avoiding it.
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 05-07-2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Blog Entries

Would like to get an update on the charitable status standing? The information that would be appreciated would be where we are on this item, what hurdles still have to be overcome and what are the potential timelines on the options.
    We do not have charitable status any longer. It appears that we are unlikely to get charitable status in the current environment. We have really not been pursuing charitable status as that ship has sailed. Someone who was around back when we lost charitable status might be able to shed additional light on the situation.

I believe we discussed this at the last meeting however I don't believe anyone "took the bull by the horns" on this. To me, whether the CFC has charitable status is most irrelevant. However, I believe we have a Chess Foundation type fund where people can donate monies in the interest of chess (we should have a financial report available at each meeting). This will encourage members and supporters to donate monies to the Fund. My suggestion is that the principal always remain in the fund and that funds never be removed if it takes the Fund below the total of the principal. That way, the Fund can survive into perpetuity with the income being available for the CFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We do not have charitable status any longer. It appears that we are unlikely to get charitable status in the current environment. We have really not been pursuing charitable status as that ship has sailed.
    There were talks about a athletic or recreational sports association (necessary to get proper terms) with similar status as a charitable organization. Is this path also abandon?
    .*-1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast