Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9. New business

Blog Entries

Sorry to sound like a broken record: in my opinion the root of all problems is chess not being recognized as a sport in this country! This is where all starts no matter what we try to do, including avoiding it.
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 05-07-2015 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The CFC lost its charitable status because the contention of Revenue Canada was that it had originally been awarded charitable status in error.
    It did not loose (what would mean that the CFC did something wrong.) It was revoked with reason in your explanation (my italic).
    .*-1

More like we were not sufficiently careful defending it in a time when the feds as a matter of policy were trying to reduce charitable status holders.

One last question, members here in Manitoba and probably in other parts of Canada would like the renewal of his/her membership to begin when they renew and not have it potentially backdated by up to 4 months when their previous membership was valid.

Blog Entries

We changed that several meetings ago. The most people are backdated is a portion of a month these days - at least to my understanding.

A topical question. I was the one who moved to get rid of the 4 month backdating (Article 323 in the handbook). This was approved at the 2013 AGM. To my surprise I found a few days ago that the handbook had not been updated and the practice has been continuing. Lyle managed to find his notes from the AGM (the website version having disappeared, I hope temporarily) and we gave Bob the new text for Article 323 a couple of days ago.
    Basically, if you membership has elapsed by more than a month and you renew you are treated as a new member and your new expiry date is the 1st day of the month after you renew.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

It should be noted that Paul's comments apply to your membership and not your rating!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123