Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9. New business

Default 9. New business

Items to be discussed as 'New Business' should be posted here

Would like to get an update on the charitable status standing? The information that would be appreciated would be where we are on this item, what hurdles still have to be overcome and what are the potential timelines on the options.

Another question is the status of the chess magazine? It has been late and the last edition has been the November 2014 magazine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Einarsson View Post
    Would like to get an update on the charitable status standing? The information that would be appreciated would be where we are on this item, what hurdles still have to be overcome and what are the potential timelines on the options.
    We do not have charitable status any longer. It appears that we are unlikely to get charitable status in the current environment. We have really not been pursuing charitable status as that ship has sailed. Someone who was around back when we lost charitable status might be able to shed additional light on the situation.

I believe we discussed this at the last meeting however I don't believe anyone "took the bull by the horns" on this. To me, whether the CFC has charitable status is most irrelevant. However, I believe we have a Chess Foundation type fund where people can donate monies in the interest of chess (we should have a financial report available at each meeting). This will encourage members and supporters to donate monies to the Fund. My suggestion is that the principal always remain in the fund and that funds never be removed if it takes the Fund below the total of the principal. That way, the Fund can survive into perpetuity with the income being available for the CFC.

Default GM Evgeny Bareev

Famous GM Evgeny Bareev has recently moved to Canada.
    I believe, he could help us to raise chess in this country to the new level.
    As a first step, we should initiate his transfer to Chess Federation of Canada.
    If we do it now, he would be able to represent Canada at Chess Olympiad 2016.

Who could contact GM Evgeny Bareev and invite him to join Chess Federation of Canada?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Famous GM Evgeny Bareev has recently moved to Canada.
    I believe, he could help us to raise chess in this country to the new level.
    As a first step, we should initiate his transfer to Chess Federation of Canada.
    If we do it now, he would be able to represent Canada at Chess Olympiad 2016.

Who could contact GM Evgeny Bareev and invite him to join Chess Federation of Canada?
    Since he has just moved to Canada it is my belief that the cost of transferring a player of his stature would be more than 30,000 euros or over $40,000. The cost of registering him in two years would be considerably less.

Default FIDE regulations

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Since he has just moved to Canada it is my belief that the cost of transferring a player of his stature would be more than 30,000 euros or over $40,000. The cost of registering him in two years would be considerably less.
    Let's look at FIDE regulations:
    https://ratings.fide.com/fedchange.phtml

"Eligibility to Participate in FIDE Events Under the New Flag
    In order to avoid any misinterpretation of the regulations, we would like to underline some points of the regulations for the players wishing to represent the new federation in FIDE events after the transfer:

1. a transferred player can represent the New federation in FIDE events only after the necessary period of residency unless the appropriate transfer and/or compensation fees are paid.

2. a transferred player who did not represent the former federation 5 years prior to the notification date, is eligible to represent the New Federation in one year after the Notification date Without Fee."

It means:

1. the sooner we notify FIDE of the transfer - the better,

2. if we do it this month, GM Evgeny Bareev will be eligible to represent Canada at Chess Olympiad 2016 Without Fee.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Lloyd, to address your comments, the Chess Foundation of Canada Annual Reports are submitted to the CFC for posting on the website in the same place as the financial reports (under "governors letters"). For some reason, this seems not to have happened for my 2014 report although I have sent reminders. I wrote an article for the CFC Newsletter back in January and that also disappeared into a black hole. Do I sound frustrated?
    I send quarterly reports to the trustees and I could put something in for the quarterly online meetings if people felt it would be useful. Meanwhile, PM me and I'll be overjoyed to send you the 30 April 2015 report as soon it is available. BTW the Foundation lost it's charitable status at the same time as the CFC.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Thank you for your initiative Michael. I will be pleased to discuss this further when I return home on Thursday.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast