Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8D. Online chess server, developments since last meeting

Default 8D. Online chess server, developments since last meeting

This thread is intended to bring VMs up to date on developments since the last meeting
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-03-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Blog Entries

I have attached PDF brochures from Premium Chess to the first post in this thread. The brochures which describe their offering and offer a question and answer format to some common questions which you might have about their offering. In short, there is no cost to the federation. There are quite a few benefits including potential for 20% of revenues from premium members and an online forum to play games which are FIDE rated. The platform offers the ability to provide online lessons and classes. I believe that anyone with a FIDE number can register for a free basic membership. There are also provisions for a free membership for children under 12 years of age.

I have been talking to the president of Premium Chess, Carlo Stellati through email though we have had some technical and timing issues in organizing a phone conversation which I expect will occur this week.

I've read the brochures. It's an interesting concept however I note that it appears a bit expensive (at 25 Euros a members) + there are a number of requirements to maintain membership status such as organization of various annual tournaments + other requirements.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I've read the brochures. It's an interesting concept however I note that it appears a bit expensive (at 25 Euros a members) + there are a number of requirements to maintain membership status such as organization of various annual tournaments + other requirements.
    The 25 Euros is for a premium membership. You can still use it and play using a regular membership which is currently free to everyone who has a FIDE ID which is most people who have played in a FIDE rated tournament. The logistics of organizing an online tournament through the website would be quite a bit less complicated than organizing a regular tournament. There would be no hall rental cost for example. I presume that tournaments could be self financing. Prizes would come from entry fees. The question is whether we want to get involved with this FIDE initiative which addresses the itch which many of our members and potential members are feeling.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 05-03-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Blog Entries

No one is required to pay the 25 euro fee unless they want to make use of the premium features and the new online titles as I understand it. This should address our concerns about online cheating and also allow us a platform that we can use for online tournaments, online training and instruction and online classes. We have to figure out how we can use this to link players together across Canada. I have received several enquiries from across Canada (including several from BC, and one this week from an Ontario individual who is disabled who would like to participate in tournaments online). Perhaps we use this platform along with the rest of the FIDE community to accomplish some of these things.

Stoooopid question Vlad - I am an International Arbiter (with a CFC rating around 1700) - would the FIDE ID I have be good for this purpose?

With the new "licence fees" my title is worth a lot less than it used to be but this would make it more enjoyable than it's been from FIDE the last couple of years.

I can't pretend I'm feeling much love from Kirsan lately

Blog Entries

Yes, Lyle I believe that as long as you have a FIDE ID you would be able to take advantage of the free membership.

I just discussed our server problems with one of our members who is a computer IT expert in the field. His comments are as follows:

"The CFC needs to figure out their requirements for a webserver... including the traffic their database gets, what the database requirements are, etc. For the size of the CFC, they should be hiring a professional to analyze their requirements and recommend an acceptable solution. Simply switching to another server for the sake of switching servers is not going to fix the root-problem."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I just discussed our server problems with one of our members who is a computer IT expert in the field. His comments are as follows:

"The CFC needs to figure out their requirements for a webserver... including the traffic their database gets, what the database requirements are, etc. For the size of the CFC, they should be hiring a professional to analyze their requirements and recommend an acceptable solution. Simply switching to another server for the sake of switching servers is not going to fix the root-problem."
    We do have several computer professionals involved. We do have to switch to another server at this point because Resolution is cutting us off in August at the latest and from my reading of the emails they would cut us off this week if they can get away with doing so without generating a lawsuit. I suspect that simply moving the present website warts and all to another server with better bandwidth where we have access to the nuts and bolts and also have 24/7 support will greatly improve the situation.

A bit belated but thank you for the information on FIDE ID #'s. It is indeed nice to see some good come out of that attractive and hard-won IA diploma on the wall - these days FIDE mostly wants $$$$ from the arbiters in the form of licence fees and they want it every two years.

In my books that's one of several things wrong with FIDE at the moment; I would have gone with the Kasparov slate in a heartbeat if I thought (and I know some will disagree with me) that they stood a serious chance of cleaning up the mess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast