Thread: 8C, POLICY DISCUSSION - Canadian Open - Lack of Potential Organizers

Default 8C, POLICY DISCUSSION - Canadian Open - Lack of Potential Organizers

Canadian Open - Lack of Potential Organizers - this is a problem we all need to talk about

Can we start looking for organizers for future years? Ottawa did 2007 and 2013 and there is a history of holding the tournament in Ottawa.

An Ottawa effort for CYCC/Canadian Open is a 2017 or 2018 project for us.

I would like to see a hand up for 2016.

I have always appreciated the way the USCF does bidding. For obvious geographic reasons US state federations (note that some of them do not strictly follow state lines) are not as important as provincial federations in Canada but the USCF always posts events up for bidding more than a year before the event and announces they are welcoming bids. They also post a list of events NEEDING bids that are overdue for award: https://www.uschess.org/content/view/12116/705/

While I appreciate they have much greater resources than we do, this to me looks like something the CFC should emulate. In my opinion it would not be out of order for a link to the events bidding page be near the top of the CFC home page!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    Can we start looking for organizers for future years? Ottawa did 2007 and 2013 and there is a history of holding the tournament in Ottawa.

An Ottawa effort for CYCC/Canadian Open is a 2017 or 2018 project for us.

I would like to see a hand up for 2016.
    I have received information that there will likely be two bids for the 2016 Canadian Open. One of the bids will look at an August time frame.

With regard to the 2015 Canadian Open, Hal Bond is in contact with a potential organizer who prefers to remain anonymous and will likely be able to tell us whether he will be going ahead or not shortly after the close of this meeting.