Thread: 8A. POLICY DISCUSSION: 2015-16 Membership Assembly

Default 8A. POLICY DISCUSSION: 2015-16 Membership Assembly

This item is not really a policy discussion but reserved for the Secretary to present the results of the May 1, 2015 Per Capita calculation which determines the number of VM representatives from each province for 2015-16.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 05-06-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Membership stats, hot off the press.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

BC is the big winner up 10% year over year at 276 vs. 249 last year. Overall Ontario is down 9 players. Alberta is down a bit mainly due to a drop in juniors. Ontario is a concern as we have had a significant jump in both juniors and adults in Windsor which has been more than offset by the rest of the province.

Default 2015-16 provincial allocation of voting members announced here!

(Personal note in response to Vlad: ) Well BC may be up this year but as a British Columbian I am sorry to say that we are _just_ a little bit under what's needed to produce an extra VM.

Allocations for 2015-16 are as follows: ON 19, AB / BC 5 each, QC 3 (as per agreement), NB 2, MB / NS / NT / PEI / SK / YT - 1 each. Provincial affiliates get to nominate their VMs, non-affiliated provinces (basically SK and the territories - anybody else?) are elected at the AGM though as per the FQE deal they get to nominate while we get to ratify.

Two things: (1) I would ask all of you (with the exception of BC and Ontario who are pretty reliable about their provincial secretaries getting the results in) to ensure your provincial boards make their nominations ASAP. Those unable to reply before May 31st with nominations PLEASE e-mail me giving me the scheduled date of your provincial AGMs!

(2) Friendly reminder: VM status is open to all adult members of the CFC normally resident in each province. The following is important and every year someone forgets so:

ALL NOMINEES MUST BE CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE CFC WHEN NOMINATED AND ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO VOTE IF THEIR MEMBERSHIP HAS EXPIRED BY THE ANNUAL MEETING

In all seriousness, it is important that all provinces be properly represented at the Annual Meeting and the best way to get Vlad and I unhappy is to submit an ineligible name (particularly at the last minute)!

Finally - a spreadsheet copy of the calculation document is attached to this message. If I have made any errors in calculation please let me know without delay! Thanks, LC

==> 2015VMCalculation.xls <==

NOTE TO MEMBERS: Ken Einarsson pointed out a calculation error concerning Manitoba which means Manitoba gets TWO VMs for 2015-16. Both the link above and the link below now point to the corrected file - LC
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 05-08-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spreadsheet error

Adult CFC membership in 2015 is 807 plus 393 life members.

This is very exclusive in a population of 35 million.

And I would bet at least half of the life members don't play in tournaments anymore
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

You could say that of me since while I play everyday online it's been a while since my last weekend Swiss. Right now the geography sucks as most events are the other end of town for me - in Toronto terms it would be like living in Oakville when all the events are in Pickering...

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    (Personal note in response to Vlad: ) Well BC may be up this year but as a British Columbian I am sorry to say that we are _just_ a little bit under what's needed to produce an extra VM.

Allocations for 2015-16 are as follows: ON 19, AB / BC 5 each, QC 3 (as per agreement), NB 2, MB / NS / NT / PEI / SK / YT - 1 each. Provincial affiliates get to nominate their VMs, non-affiliated provinces (basically SK and the territories - anybody else?) are elected at the AGM though as per the FQE deal they get to nominate while we get to ratify.

Two things: (1) I would ask all of you (with the exception of BC and Ontario who are pretty reliable about their provincial secretaries getting the results in) to ensure your provincial boards make their nominations ASAP. Those unable to reply before May 31st with nominations PLEASE e-mail me giving me the scheduled date of your provincial AGMs!

(2) Friendly reminder: VM status is open to all adult members of the CFC normally resident in each province. The following is important and every year someone forgets so:

ALL NOMINEES MUST BE CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE CFC WHEN NOMINATED AND ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO VOTE IF THEIR MEMBERSHIP HAS EXPIRED BY THE ANNUAL MEETING

In all seriousness, it is important that all provinces be properly represented at the Annual Meeting and the best way to get Vlad and I unhappy is to submit an ineligible name (particularly at the last minute)!

Finally - a spreadsheet copy of the calculation document is attached to this message. If I have made any errors in calculation please let me know without delay! Thanks, LC

==> 2015VMCalculation.xls <==
    The calculation for Manitoba doesn't seem right. I did the calculation and got 55.67. Cannot figure out how if the spreadsheet is correct how NB gets 51.83 while MB gets 15.33 yet our chess population is slightly greater.

Mr. Einarrson is correct and he has my apologies. The effect of this change is to give Manitoba a 2nd VM for 2015-16.

Here is the corrected spreadsheet:2015VMCalculation.xls

Please note that I have removed the incorrect file and both the link in this message and the one above now point to the corrected file. Again my apologies for the miscalculation. LC
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 05-08-2015 at 03:10 PM.