Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 09. New Business

Blog Entries

Default 09. New Business

Discussion of any new business goes here.

I've already noted elsewhere that I've had a request to ask whether the CFC had any inkling of the date and place of the Canadian Open (members want to obviously book their vacation schedule around the Open). Being relatively new to the process of how the Canadian Open is booked and authorized, I just wanted to bring up the issue.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    I've already noted elsewhere that I've had a request to ask whether the CFC had any inkling of the date and place of the Canadian Open (members want to obviously book their vacation schedule around the Open). Being relatively new to the process of how the Canadian Open is booked and authorized, I just wanted to bring up the issue.
    We have been in discussions for quite some time with a potential organizer. The time frame is in August but it is still not at the stage where we could confirm dates though it could happen soon. I wouldn't want to give a date and then see the plans fall through and then see someone else organize the tournament at a different time after everyone has booked their vacations. Our possible timing is being squeezed by the same issues that are imposing themselves on the Canadian Closed which we can discuss in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    We have been in discussions for quite some time with a potential organizer. The time frame is in August but it is still not at the stage where we could confirm dates though it could happen soon. I wouldn't want to give a date and then see the plans fall through and then see someone else organize the tournament at a different time after everyone has booked their vacations. Our possible timing is being squeezed by the same issues that are imposing themselves on the Canadian Closed which we can discuss in that thread.
    In the last few years, the CYCC and Canadian Open have been linked: either they were run by the same organiser (last year for sure, maybe 2013 as well), or they were run by different organisers but set with CO to follow CYCC nearby (Vancouver / Victoria).

This would seem to be good for both players and organisers.

I know that the CYCC is to be held in Windsor, Ontario on July 6 - 9 2015.

It seems too bad that no plans have been made to run the 2015 CO in or near Windsor
    starting Fri July 10 or Sat Jul 11.

Chris Field.
    Voting Member (Ontario).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    In the last few years, the CYCC and Canadian Open have been linked: either they were run by the same organiser (last year for sure, maybe 2013 as well), or they were run by different organisers but set with CO to follow CYCC nearby (Vancouver / Victoria).

It seems too bad that no plans have been made to run the 2015 CO in or near Windsor

Chris Field.
    Voting Member (Ontario).
    There was interest among some in doing so but the work and financial resources required were simply beyond what the local organizers could realistically take on with two of us on the CFC executive. In most cases when the CYCC and CO were organized together there were issues. Montreal was something of an exception with participants in both tournaments giving very good reviews to the FQE organizers and organization which saw record participation for both tournaments. Health and family issues prevented me from getting too involved at this time.

Blog Entries

Default Website problems continue

We have been informed this afternoon that our website developer and web hosting company Resolution is no longer able to support the CFC website. We will be looking at either moving the website to another web hosting service or perhaps onto the web host of the CFC forums which should be robust enough to support the CFC website. We will be exploring all of our options.

It seems that Larry Bevand is interested to organize the Canadain Open 2015. Any information about that ?

Can we at least learn more about who the potential organizer is?

For the sake of the voting members who cannot speak French, here are the two polls Larry Bevand conducted on Chesstalk (French part) :

"The CFC asked us to organize the CO next summer between August 19 and 23, at the Le Chantecler, in the Laurentides (an hour north of Montreal). 2 games a day, except on the 23rd. We need 150 players to break even. Rooms at $95. Do you think it is realistic"

After a lot of negative comments on the location and the number of games per day (although there was a few positive comments) :
    "Other possibility : 9 rounds over 6 days from August 18 to 23 in Quebec City, registration fees similar to last year, $10 000 in prizes. Need 200 players to break even".

Both polls showed very strong opposition to the idea (or at least to the chances of success).

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post

Chris Field.
    Voting Member (Ontario).
    Chris, I might be mistaken, but right after the CYCC (like the 10th) would be the Closed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast