Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 07A Motion 1: Olympiad Selection Regulations Player activity rules

All valid points. I hear what you're saying Ilia however if the player is serious in representing Canada on an international level, then they have an obligation to put the time into their game. I really don't see too much into the 1.5 years vs the 2 years, especially if the player has played 40 games in the last 2 years. If the motion creates a problem after it's applied, the players will hopefully make their position and reasoning known. Then as anything else, it can be amended at a later date. I vote in favour of the motion as it reads now.

I am against including USCF games and will be voting no to the motion as it stands.

I have no problem having the number of required CFC, fide or fqe games be a low number like 10. I am not quite sure I understood/agreed with the argument that this should be a high number. Let's use this as the variable to maintain a high number of candidates..not games from other federations.

A low number like 10 games allows people to sit on their high ratings which might have been achieved a long time ago, thus not showing their current level (which usually deteriorates without practice).

As I see it:
    - there is no question players in ON/QC have more opportunities to play than in places like AB/BC

- there should be a special rule for the Canadian champion - under normal situations you WANT the Canadian champion leading the team on board 1

- I have less concern about foreign (e.g. US) games being counted for fulfilling the activity requirement than I do with such games being considered for actual qualification and I am skeptical that there are many games of a suitable calibre to be included for US activity that are not FIDE rated. (I have the vision of a player winning 4 tournaments 6-0 against players of my strength - e.g. class A/B - and qualifying and well remember one player who has since played on the Olympic team who in his first 3 tournaments scored 14.5-.5, giving up a last round draw to a 2300 opponent and getting a rating of about 2150/15 - all of you would know the foreign-born player I'm referring to if I named him)

I don't like the idea of out of practice players playing for Canada any more than the rest of you but I am wanting the best possible Olympic team with a system that does not create mega-stress at the Office and endless appeals to the National Executive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    New Rule
    iii) Have played at least 20 regular CFC rated or FQE rated or FIDE rated games or USCF rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad) and 40 regular CFC, FQE, FIDE or USCF rated games during the two years prior to the start of the selection process.
    As it is worded now, I'll oppose this rule.

A. As I've already mentioned on the Governor's board, there is no special clause when the rule will be applied. V.Drakulec mentioned that it probably should be in effect for the 2018 season. (However, that is not documented in motion.)

My suggestions did not find support:
    Thus, I propose an amendment to this Motion with an additional condition:
    The rule will be used starting with the 2018 Chess Olympiad selection.
    iii) could be split in two: iiia) 20 over for 1 year; and iiib) 40 over 2 years.
    B. I like 20 part, but dislike 40.

C. I don't think that the CFC shall chase other rating systems. There is enough work to monitor two (CFC and FIDE) for ~40 players every month.

As there is no control for a quality/opposition for those 10-20-40 games, they will not solve the "idling" person problem - a person could play a match or a small RR with a friend or friends to get numbers.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Motion 1: Olympiad Selection Regulations Player activity rules will be debated here.

7. Motions
    7A. Motion 1 Olympiad Selection Regulations Player activity rules
    906. Selection of the players
    Old Rule
    iii) Have played at least 10 regular CFC rated or FIDE rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad).

New Rule
    iii) Have played at least 20 regular CFC rated or FQE rated or FIDE rated games or USCF rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad) and 40 regular CFC, FQE, FIDE or USCF rated games during the two years prior to the start of the selection process.
    Proposed voting:
    OPTION 1 USCF games counted
    New Rule
    iii) a. Have played at least 20 regular CFC rated or FQE rated or FIDE rated games or USCF rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad)
    YES
    NO
    ABSTAIN

OPTION 2 USCF games counted
    iii) b. and 40 regular CFC, FQE, FIDE or USCF rated games during the two years prior to the start of the selection process
    YES
    NO
    ABSTAIN

OPTION 3 USCF games not counted
    iii) a. Have played at least 20 regular CFC rated or FQE rated or FIDE rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad)
    YES
    NO
    ABSTAIN

OPTION 4 USCF games not counted
    iii) b. and 40 regular CFC, FQE, or FIDE rated games during the two years prior to the start of the selection process
    YES
    NO
    ABSTAIN

In either case part b. will not apply until 2018 and later. In either case part a. will apply to 2016 and later if the vote is positive.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-04-2015 at 04:01 PM.

I vote for option # 2.

Proposed voting:
    OPTION 1 USCF games counted
    New Rule
    iii) a. Have played at least 20 regular CFC rated or FQE rated or FIDE rated games or USCF rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad)
    YES
    NO
    ABSTAIN

OPTION 2 USCF games counted
    iii) b. and 40 regular CFC, FQE, FIDE or USCF rated games during the two years prior to the start of the selection process
    YES
    NO
    ABSTAIN

OPTION 3 USCF games not counted
    iii) a. Have played at least 20 regular CFC rated or FQE rated or FIDE rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad)
    YES
    NO
    ABSTAIN

OPTION 4 USCF games not counted
    iii) b. and 40 regular CFC, FQE, or FIDE rated games during the two years prior to the start of the selection process
    YES
    NO
    ABSTAIN

In either case part b. will not apply until 2018 and later. In either case part a. will apply to 2016 and later if the vote is positive.
    There shall be an additional question regarding the FQE system too.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    There shall be an additional question regarding the FQE system too.
    We have an agreement with the FQE which requires us to treat FQE members the same way we treat CFC members and where the FQE treats CFC members the same way they treat FQE members.

We have an agreement with the FQE which requires us to treat FQE members the same way we treat CFC members and where the FQE treats CFC members the same way they treat FQE members.
    That does not extend to the FQE rated games as a selection criteria automatically.
    .*-1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast