Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 07A Motion 1: Olympiad Selection Regulations Player activity rules

Blog Entries

Default 07A Motion 1: Olympiad Selection Regulations Player activity rules

Motion 1: Olympiad Selection Regulations Player activity rules will be debated here.

7. Motions
    7A. Motion 1 Olympiad Selection Regulations Player activity rules
    906. Selection of the players
    Old Rule
    iii) Have played at least 10 regular CFC rated or FIDE rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad).

New Rule
    iii) Have played at least 20 regular CFC rated or FQE rated or FIDE rated games or USCF rated games during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad) and 40 regular CFC, FQE, FIDE or USCF rated games during the two years prior to the start of the selection process.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 02-01-2015 at 02:52 AM.

Not sure how I feel about including USCF rated games in this; am not opposed to the idea generally

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Not sure how I feel about including USCF rated games in this; am not opposed to the idea generally
    Without that we might open ourselves up to the situation of being without our highest rated FIDE player on both the men's and women's side. The reality is that there a number of chess scholarships available in the U.S. We shouldn't chase away our players if they become successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Let me be more direct:
    I am opposing to the idea to use foreign-rated not FIDE rated games for Canadian National team selection.

I understand that out top players are currently study and live in US, and we need to count their games played there for Canadian National team selection. But I insist that such games should be FIDE rated.

Is there any major US event which is not FIDE rated?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

I, also, don't feel that USCF should be in this discussion ... FIDE should be enough.
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Let me be more direct:
    Is there any major US event which is not FIDE rated?
    I played in a Dearborn, Michigan event which Anton Kovalyov won and in which there were quite a few GMs and Canadian players including our women's coordinator Liza Orlova. The event was listed as FIDE rated but was never rated by FIDE (unless that happened months later). I think that we should make some allowance for the players who gain scholarships for chess in the U.S.A. and play lots of chess. Anton played only 18 or so CFC games in Canada in 2014 in two events. In 2014 Anton played in a dozen USCF events (raising his USCF rating to over 2700), two Canadian events and shows up in the FIDE database for most of the events.

In 2014 Yuanling Yuan played in four USCF tournaments for a total of 31 games. She played 6 CFC games (though more in the Olympiad selection period time window) and had 40+ games under FIDE most of which I suppose are the USCF and CFC games.

I wouldn't like to see a situation which is possible where one of the best players in Canada could potentially not make the team despite playing a great deal of high level chess. I don't think we should punish our few success stories.

The current situation is that a player can play in two weekend tournaments once a decade with no restriction on the strength of the opposition and find themselves on a Canadian Olympiad team based mainly on their previously established rating which may have little relation to their current playing strength.

I prefer the way the motion reads as it does. The intent is to have our representative having played chess prior to representing Canada. To me, if they're playing chess, it doesn't matter whether it's FIDE or USCF, their games should count. I don't know the answer whether every major US tournament is FIDE rated (it's possible that some are not). As noted above, the player may be in a situation where they're unable to attend a FIDE rated tournament yet have played a number of USCF tournaments. If that occurs, in my view, they shouldn't be disqualified from representing Canada.

Blog Entries

I can envision a time when the majority of the Canadian women's Olympiad team is at U.S. colleges (on chess, athletic or academic scholarships). I think that most observers agree that the current rule does not give us the most competitive team possible on the women's side. I think that we should make some allowance for the youngsters who continue to play chess in college especially when two of the most notable examples played board one on the national and women's team in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    I can envision a time when the majority of the Canadian women's Olympiad team is at U.S. colleges (on chess, athletic or academic scholarships). I think that most observers agree that the current rule does not give us the most competitive team possible on the women's side. I think that we should make some allowance for the youngsters who continue to play chess in college especially when two of the most notable examples played board one on the national and women's team in 2014.
    I agree. The motion is also fair, in making the rule the same for both men's and women's teams.
    Certainly there could be potential players for both teams in similar situations.

Chris Field.
    Voting Member (Ontario).

I will definitely vote NO.
    The main reason is the proposed 40 games within 2 years prior to the start of the selection process. For an elite player, 40 games mean about 3 months out of "normal life". (It includes chess preparation, analysis, travel, making arrangements, actual chess etc.) As many elite contenders to our Olympic teams are amateurs, their "normal life" does not include chess. So they would need to take vacation or time off school/job. In addition to this, the proposed language regarding 2 years takes into account games from 2.5 years to 0.5 years prior to the Olympiad. In my opinion, games played more than 1.5 years prior to the Olympiad should not be counted in the selection process as they are irrelevant to a contender's chess strength at the Olympiad.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast