Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Content for CFC online magazine?

The other person I encouraged to go for the editor job has decided not to apply. So:

Apple without a core, the old story told
    More apologies to Yeats, the centre cannot hold
    Between the CFC and the Information Void
    The Chess gods have placed Lawrence Day
    If his prose you have enjoyed
    Get the CFC to hire him, and pay.

Has Lawrence yet decided to apply??

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Has Lawrence yet decided to apply??

Bob
    Not only that, he has actually applied.
    Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhh-hhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !
    Thanks for the enthusiasm!

We all knew that this Day would arrive.

Default I hope he is the only applicant...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Berry
    Not only that, he has actually applied.
    Yeeeeeeaaaaaaahhh-hhhooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !
    Thanks for the enthusiasm!
    I hope he is the only applicant, because then even the CFC could not pick the wrong person! Seriously, I think Lawrence would be a perfect choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Liles
    I hope he is the only applicant, because then even the CFC could not pick the wrong person!
    The previous administration could have.

With the content question cornered, there is still the matter of presentation, a good web master / designer. A lot of great chess presentation code is out there as freeware or easily adaptable, but there's still the question of putting it together into a compelling package. Apologizing again to McLuhan, the medium is the message.

Default Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Berry
    Apple without a core, the old story told
    More apologies to Yeats, the centre cannot hold
    Couch potatoes watching the season double-opener of Heroes a couple of nights ago may have had a déjà entendu with the Yeats poem, "The Second Coming", which was recited in the episode of the same name:

http://classiclit.about.com/library/.../aa031701a.htm

Apologies for quoting myself. Just be thankful I didn't give you my version of The Lake Isle of Innisfree, called instead The Lake Isle of LSD.

I don't follow "Heroes" but I did notice Yeats showing up in the synchronicity current. In some thread somewhere an economist said that this financial crisis was "worst since the 14th century" leading some to wonder what happened then. 1307 Philip of France arrested his creditors, the Templars and banking disappeared. 1381 the Peasant's Revolt effectively ended serfdom in England. Without banks to borrow from and a 100 yrs war to pay for, the Poll Tax rose from 1 to 2 to 3 groats. But Black Plague had killed 2/3 of the peasantry and the survivors wanted more pay to pay their poll tax.
    So I'm looking out my study window and a gull is cruising the Humber River below. And I'm thinking about whether the plague might have been contained if the medical knowledge of the shaman-class witches and wizards hadn't been burnt by the so-called advanced civilization. I'm all ponder ponder and the gull says to me:
    "Yo Irish, look to your poet." Hmmm, the communal consciousness of animal species seems more natural than supernatural to me, ordinary magic, so I played along even though I suspected I was imagining it. I could see a very dusty copy of Yeats Selected left over from my wayback eng lit edu studies. Opened it at random I did, reading Beast or Demon, the poem before The Second Coming (which we'd studied and which was perhaps why the book may have 'randomly' opened there)
    so I was reading across the page about, of all things, the gull:
    "...aimless joy had made me stop
    beside the little lake
    To watch a white gull take
    A bit of bread thrown up into the air;
    Now gyring down and perning there
    he splashed where an absurd
    Portly green-pated bird
    Shook off the water from his back;
    Being no more demoniac
    A stupid happy creature
    Could rouse my whole nature..."

So, the deep message: feed me!
    And I went down to the river and tossed some bread to my green-pated portly Mallard friends.
    Quite naturally the gull dropped in for a bite.

Default Canadian Chess Magazine

Some thoughts about content:

- stick to Canadian content. The rest of the world is available through other websites
    - have a chessboard that is large and easily manipulated to show games from recent Canadian events or from international events with Canadian participants. Annotated if possible but not necessary
    - lots of photographs
    - interview a successful Canadian chess player or organizer each issue
    - password protection to limit access to CFC members
    - letters to the editor section

Thumbs up Canadian content !!!

Lawrence,

I agree with Paul. A common complaint from members was the lack of Canadian content in the magazine. This is where they want to read about Canadian chess. Local stuff. Read about their friends, and yes, when they win, see their own names in print. Why not !

It's great to have you aboard as the new editor. Good luck.

Bob

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast