Thread: 5. Executive Reports

Blog Entries

Default 5. Executive Reports

This thread is reserved for reports by the directors or executive.

5. Executive Reports
    a. Vice President
    b. FIDE Rep
    c. Secretary
    d. Treasurer
    e. Youth Coordinator
    f. Board Member Mark Dutton

Default FIDE report

FIDE Report
    FIDE Election:
    This year’s Congress was dominated by the FIDE Elections. The process was more civilized than I expected but the results were not surprising. Incumbent Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected by a vote of 110 – 61. Although this margin is strikingly similar to the past three elections the support base appears to have shifted. Europe was not the safe haven for the challenger that it used to be, as evidenced by Zurab Azmaiparishvili’s solid victory over Silvio Danailov for ECU President. The closest battle appears to have been in Africa, thus ending the cliché argument that the FIDE President simply buys the African votes in order to preserve power.

The campaign was very hard fought on both sides and tactics behind the scenes were perhaps a little rougher than previous elections. This may explain the partisan nature of the subsequent voting for the 5 VP spots and the 3 elected committees, namely Constitution, Ethics and Verification (ie internal audit). I supported a number of GK’s people in these capacities but the will of the house differed.

The Continent of Africa was unable to conduct its own Presidential Elections in a timely fashion, as the vocal minority engaged in all manner of stalling tactics. These delays created real problems for the General Assembly, which was unable to achieve quorum on the 4th and final day and thus several agenda items could not be addressed.

Events:

The 2018 Olympiad was awarded to Batumi, Georgia. The proposed dates are September 1-15. South Africa also presented a bid for Cape Town in July. While they were unsuccessful, I would not be surprised to see them bid again for 2020.

U16 Olympiad – following the collapse of the bid from Kazakhstan, the Hungarian Federation has stepped in and will hold the event from December 12-22 this year in Gyor. The CFC Executive was taken a little off guard by the level of interest among our eligible players and we are planning to send at least 3 teams! The 2015 event has been awarded to Tbilisi Georgia, 21-30 July.

The Women’s World Championship Tournament, a 64 player knockout event, was said to be staged from October 11-30 in either Moldova or Turkmenistan. The event has subsequently been postponed until early next year. Canada did not stage a zonal tournament to determine our official player, and in late August I was able to plead that the uncertainty of the WWCT created an exceptional circumstance and we were granted the right to appoint our player, Yuanling Yuan.

While we were a little lucky in this case, it seems very strange that the Women’s World Championship title is on the line, by design, every year. I believe that the knockout tournament belongs in a two year cycle as with the “Open” or “Absolute” championship, and I will be surprised if the Women’s WC cycle is not soon changed.

The 2014 Continental is currently underway and it very disappointing that our official player, Raja Panjwani, encountered a delayed conflict with his studies and had to cancel his participation. As a result, Canada is without an official player in Brazil.

2015 World Youth, the final edition of all six age groups, will be staged in Halkidiki Greece. The dates are October 24 to November 5. In 2016, the World “Cadet”, which covers the U8,U10,U12 groups, will be in Batumi Georgia, October 18-30. The older 2015 “World Youth” U14,U16,U18 event will take place in Khanty Mansiysk Russia from September 1-15, 2016.

2015 World Junior is scheduled to run September 15-30 in Khanty Mansiysk. The 2014 World Junior has just wrapped up in India, and it is expected to return to India in 2016.

French Connection:
    During the Tromso Congress I had a number of productive meetings with FQE President Bernard Labadie, who has renewed relations with AIDEF (Association International des Echecs Francophone). Bernard and his team are building a bid for the 2017 World Cadet. Together with Richard Berube at the FQE, we are collaborating on a “twinning” project with Haiti to advance the state of their chess development. More on that as it happens.

Anti-cheating:
    Among the unfinished business at the Congress was the adoption of the report of the Anti-cheating Commission. In view of its importance, their recommendations have taken effect October 1.

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...of-chess-.html

Player ID’s and licenses:
    The following link describes the rules which take effect November 1.
    http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...&view=category

Respectfully Submitted

Hal Bond, IO, IA
    FIDE Zone 2.2 President and Delegate

Default Anti-cheating rule

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    FIDE Report
    FIDE Election:
    This year’s Congress was dominated by the FIDE Elections. The process was more civilized than I expected but the results were not surprising. Incumbent Kirsan Ilyumzhinov was re-elected by a vote of 110 – 61. Although this margin is strikingly similar to the past three elections the support base appears to have shifted. Europe was not the safe haven for the challenger that it used to be, as evidenced by Zurab Azmaiparishvili’s solid victory over Silvio Danailov for ECU President. The closest battle appears to have been in Africa, thus ending the cliché argument that the FIDE President simply buys the African votes in order to preserve power.

The campaign was very hard fought on both sides and tactics behind the scenes were perhaps a little rougher than previous elections. This may explain the partisan nature of the subsequent voting for the 5 VP spots and the 3 elected committees, namely Constitution, Ethics and Verification (ie internal audit). I supported a number of GK’s people in these capacities but the will of the house differed.

The Continent of Africa was unable to conduct its own Presidential Elections in a timely fashion, as the vocal minority engaged in all manner of stalling tactics. These delays created real problems for the General Assembly, which was unable to achieve quorum on the 4th and final day and thus several agenda items could not be addressed.

Events:

The 2018 Olympiad was awarded to Batumi, Georgia. The proposed dates are September 1-15. South Africa also presented a bid for Cape Town in July. While they were unsuccessful, I would not be surprised to see them bid again for 2020.

U16 Olympiad – following the collapse of the bid from Kazakhstan, the Hungarian Federation has stepped in and will hold the event from December 12-22 this year in Gyor. The CFC Executive was taken a little off guard by the level of interest among our eligible players and we are planning to send at least 3 teams! The 2015 event has been awarded to Tbilisi Georgia, 21-30 July.

The Women’s World Championship Tournament, a 64 player knockout event, was said to be staged from October 11-30 in either Moldova or Turkmenistan. The event has subsequently been postponed until early next year. Canada did not stage a zonal tournament to determine our official player, and in late August I was able to plead that the uncertainty of the WWCT created an exceptional circumstance and we were granted the right to appoint our player, Yuanling Yuan.

While we were a little lucky in this case, it seems very strange that the Women’s World Championship title is on the line, by design, every year. I believe that the knockout tournament belongs in a two year cycle as with the “Open” or “Absolute” championship, and I will be surprised if the Women’s WC cycle is not soon changed.

The 2014 Continental is currently underway and it very disappointing that our official player, Raja Panjwani, encountered a delayed conflict with his studies and had to cancel his participation. As a result, Canada is without an official player in Brazil.

2015 World Youth, the final edition of all six age groups, will be staged in Halkidiki Greece. The dates are October 24 to November 5. In 2016, the World “Cadet”, which covers the U8,U10,U12 groups, will be in Batumi Georgia, October 18-30. The older 2015 “World Youth” U14,U16,U18 event will take place in Khanty Mansiysk Russia from September 1-15, 2016.

2015 World Junior is scheduled to run September 15-30 in Khanty Mansiysk. The 2014 World Junior has just wrapped up in India, and it is expected to return to India in 2016.

French Connection:
    During the Tromso Congress I had a number of productive meetings with FQE President Bernard Labadie, who has renewed relations with AIDEF (Association International des Echecs Francophone). Bernard and his team are building a bid for the 2017 World Cadet. Together with Richard Berube at the FQE, we are collaborating on a “twinning” project with Haiti to advance the state of their chess development. More on that as it happens.

Anti-cheating:
    Among the unfinished business at the Congress was the adoption of the report of the Anti-cheating Commission. In view of its importance, their recommendations have taken effect October 1.

http://www.fide.com/component/conten...of-chess-.html

Player ID’s and licenses:
    The following link describes the rules which take effect November 1.
    http://www.fide.com/component/handbo...&view=category

Respectfully Submitted

Hal Bond, IO, IA
    FIDE Zone 2.2 President and Delegate
    My only comment is that the rule states that a player losses his game if he's found to have an electronic device capable of providing him with some type of chess guidance "in the venue". Some players routinely step outside the playing venue to smoke, take a breath of fresh air, etc.. Not to be technical, however I would suggest the wording should be widened something to the effect that a player shall not be in possession of any electronic device capable of assisting them in their game during the period of their game. That would close the perimeter type argument and places the emphasis on the game time factor.

LL