Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8D POLICY DISCUSSION Olympiad Qualification

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    Yes, there is one on this page : http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...fication/page2
    Direct link to the list: http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cms/cotes/bulletin/elec/t/wl1
    It doesn't show the number of games per year, but it wouldn't be long to look it up for the 2-3 players that could qualify for the Olympiads.
    There is going to be a huge conversion effort to calculate the selection rating - if one includes the FQE rating and / or USCF rating.

However, the idea of using many more games with those other two systems is good.

I would also like to see the minimum games increased to 40 (with maybe 10 of those being CFC rated) also we could make an acceptation for those who are studying or norm hunting aboard My thought being that playing activity and current form is a more critically important factor (With those games being rated by FIDE or (nationally rated of course with conversion of the rating) by a recognizable zone or country of FIDE)

It seems to me that we're the "Chess Federation of Canada" for a reason. In my view, Canada's representative should have to play "X" amount of games under the Canadian banner (CFC rated games). Games in USA or other countries should not be counted for purposes of qualification simply on the basis of the difficulty in confirming the games (especially when they've been played close to the upcoming tournament). Those outside Canada games can obviously make great practice for the player. If the player wants to qualify, then they should play their qualifying games in Canada. I would suggest somewhere between 20 and 40 Canadian games to ensure the player has had certain number of games played. I wouldn't be opposed to having a qualifier playing, for example, 10, or 15, or whatever outside the box number of games on the basis that his last rated game places his rating at or higher than the first game they played in the year in question. That would likely indicate that if they've only played 10 or 15 Canadian rated games and maintained at least their original rating, that they've been playing elsewhere and thus they're more likely to be a good candidate to represent Canada.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Lombard View Post
    It seems to me that we're the "Chess Federation of Canada" for a reason. In my view, Canada's representative should have to play "X" amount of games under the Canadian banner (CFC rated games). Games in USA or other countries should not be counted for purposes of qualification simply on the basis of the difficulty in confirming the games (especially when they've been played close to the upcoming tournament). Those outside Canada games can obviously make great practice for the player. If the player wants to qualify, then they should play their qualifying games in Canada. I would suggest somewhere between 20 and 40 Canadian games to ensure the player has had certain number of games played. I wouldn't be opposed to having a qualifier playing, for example, 10, or 15, or whatever outside the box number of games on the basis that his last rated game places his rating at or higher than the first game they played in the year in question. That would likely indicate that if they've only played 10 or 15 Canadian rated games and maintained at least their original rating, that they've been playing elsewhere and thus they're more likely to be a good candidate to represent Canada.
    We have always considered FIDE rated games the equivalent of playing CFC rated games. Potentially requiring too many CFC games could disqualify both first boards at our last Olympiad for the national and women's team which is not something I would encourage given their strong play.

I agree with a higher activity requirement, and to this end CFC, FIDE or FQE are all fine by me. FIDE rated play in Quebec or elsewhere in Canada must also be CFC rated, so for the "Selection ratings" I would stick with the CFC/FIDE current formula.

While I don't see a need to play 20-40 games in Canada I do think that our Canadian team members need to support our Canadian events. Maybe it's only me but it bothers me to have members on our Olympiad Team, supported by our National Federation who don't have to play a single game in Canada.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

First off - I am glad to see Mr. Lombard's participation - it's always good seeing a new VM taking part!

In my opinion 20-40 is too high - and is this in the previous 12 or 24 months?

I would not want to make such a rule ironclad - if our champ was to go deep at the Candidates' level and as such not play much at home I would still want him for the Olympic team. On the other hand, we don't want to encourage people to sit on their ratings and play strictly abroad or online either.

It bothers me if they are not playing period, but not if they are playing abroad. For example, if Eric Hansen decided to spend the next 2 years playing in Europe against higher caliber competition and for better rewards for his playing, this should not be a reason to penalize him. I don't see hockey players barred from playing on the Russian or Swedish Olympic teams simply because they play in the NHL.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123