Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8D POLICY DISCUSSION Olympiad Qualification

One issue I have is even with the low requirements in place now, a large fraction of top women players did not attempt to reach the requirement. Will this encourage these same players to play, or further discourage them from playing?

PS: FQE rated games need to be included in the requirements.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    Just curious - how many of our top players are currently studying out of country and would benefit by the other than CFC proviso?
    Anton Kovalyov, Raja Panjwani, Yuanling Yuan and possibly Alexandra Botez would be players who might benefit from this rule at present. There are probably several others that I don't know about.

Given that we have more and more promising young girls playing, I would support raising the number of games. However, I agree with Garland that we need to include FQE rated games. Maïli-Jade Ouellet is now Quebec highest rated female player, with a FQE rating of 2001. She is extremely active (100+ FQE game per year), but out of these maybe only 20 are CFC rated.

If changes are made to include FQE rated games, I will support the motion.

This is not exactly on topic but a strong woman recently moved to Edmonton from Poland. I am not sure whether she would change federations but she could certainly be a part of team Canada if she would want to.
    https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1114581

I have no problem including FQE games. I just feel, since this topic is open for discussion that our strong players need to support our Canadian tournaments. As for people pursuing higher education, I don't see that as an obstacle to playing in a couple of Canadian tournaments over a one year period.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    Given that we have more and more promising young girls playing, I would support raising the number of games. However, I agree with Garland that we need to include FQE rated games. Maïli-Jade Ouellet is now Quebec highest rated female player, with a FQE rating of 2001. She is extremely active (100+ FQE game per year), but out of these maybe only 20 are CFC rated.

If changes are made to include FQE rated games, I will support the motion.
    Its only a discussion at the moment but including FQE rated games is quite reasonable since we are supposed to be treating FQE members as equivalent to CFC members. When it does become a motion FQE ratings should be included though perhaps there should be some conversion built in. My understanding is that FQE ratings are slightly deflated relative to CFC ratings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Rekhson View Post
    This is not exactly on topic but a strong woman recently moved to Edmonton from Poland. I am not sure whether she would change federations but she could certainly be a part of team Canada if she would want to.
    https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1114581
    She could be part of Team Canada if she changed federations though it might be quite expensive for a titled player.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Its only a discussion at the moment but including FQE rated games is quite reasonable since we are supposed to be treating FQE members as equivalent to CFC members. When it does become a motion FQE ratings should be included though perhaps there should be some conversion built in. My understanding is that FQE ratings are slightly deflated relative to CFC ratings.
    imho, the count of games can be included as a measure of activity, though the CFC and FIDE ratings shall be major. Don't forget someone needs to track all this information.
    As an option the CFC could rate through the CFC rating system those (USCF, FQE) games on own expense for ~10 or 15 candidate players.
    .*-1

Does the FQE have some kind of equivalent to the 'tdlist' or is there some method of quickly sharing info?

As for gender you would have to have some kind of way of indicating this otherwise you would end up in the situation where FIDE thought Lynn Stringer was male and I was female. (I didn't say anything for years as it was amusing till I finally got tired of it and asked Hal to register my "sex change" - during most of this period FIDE did have the photo of me that's on the CFC board page which I'd like to think is unmistakably male!)

Yes, there is one on this page : http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/sh...fication/page2
    Direct link to the list: http://www.fqechecs.qc.ca/cms/cotes/bulletin/elec/t/wl1
    It doesn't show the number of games per year, but it wouldn't be long to look it up for the 2-3 players that could qualify for the Olympiads.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast