Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8D POLICY DISCUSSION Olympiad Qualification

Blog Entries

Default 8D POLICY DISCUSSION Olympiad Qualification

8D Olympiad Qualification - Should we increase the minimum number of games to qualify? Some have suggested that 40 games over the past two years with the proviso that they be CFC, FIDE or USCF rated play would not be an unreasonable requirement. The reason that we might consider USCF play is that many of our top young players are going to post-secondary schools in the U.S. making it difficult to get in the requisite number of CFC games.

I am in favour of both increasing the requirement for number of games and am ok with them being any slow CFC, USCF, FIDE, or any other equivalent tournament games against reasonable opposition.
    I am unsure how much the increase should be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Gordon View Post
    I am in favour of both increasing the requirement for number of games and am ok with them being any slow CFC, USCF, FIDE, or any other equivalent tournament games against reasonable opposition.
    I am unsure how much the increase should be.
    Currently the regulations require 10 games in the year of the Olympiad which can typically be accomplished with two weekend tournaments. The consequence is that you might have some rusty players representing Canada. This has not been an issue with the national team but can be an issue with the women's team. The consequence of changing this rule would be a younger team representing Canada.

I think this is a question we should ask the Master Rep to report back to us on after consulting with top 10-players of both sexes.

For the men over 2400, as an example, a serious tournament might be a 9-round open swiss. Somebody that plays 10 games a year in tournaments is simply inactive in my opinion.

What is a reasonable minimum number of games that an active chess player aspiring to the national team or the women's team plays in a year?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    I think this is a question we should ask the Master Rep to report back to us on after consulting with top 10-players of both sexes.

For the men over 2400, as an example, a serious tournament might be a 9-round open swiss. Somebody that plays 10 games a year in tournaments is simply inactive in my opinion.

What is a reasonable minimum number of games that an active chess player aspiring to the national team or the women's team plays in a year?
    Most of the grandmasters who I have read that expressed an opinion said somewhere between 50 and 80 games.

As a somewhat competent player, I also agree with raising the minimum number of games required to be on the Olympiad team. I enjoyed seeing many of my friends and competitors representing the Men's Olympiad this year and felt that everyone on the team fully deserved their spot as they are have all far exceeded the minimum when it comes to game requirements and playing ability. On the women's side however, I feel that the selection process we have puts too much stock on past performance and ratings rather than activity and definitely believe that a higher number of minimum games should be mandatory. Players who play the basic minimum of 10 games a year (as currently is the standard) should not even be considered as that is far too few games and if we field a team with too many rusty players, it would be akin to sending a bunch of chess tourists rather than a team of competitors.

Even though the Men's team did not finish as high a standing as some may have envisioned, I was very impressed with their play and the fact that they faced off against many of the top players in the world and would check in daily to view their games and results. I can honestly say that I did not do the same for the Women's side.

I like the idea in of increasing the amount of minimum required games in general, but I think that the minimum amount of games should remain the same (or even be dropped) for the players selected by a committee, that way if a top Canadian GM who hasn't been playing for a while decides to return to represent the country in the Olympiad he would at least be considered for the team.

I am in favour of increasing the minimum number of games and I would also like to see a requirement to play at least 10 CFC rated games.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    I am in favour of increasing the minimum number of games and I would also like to see a requirement to play at least 10 CFC rated games.
    That requirement might preclude our strongest young woman Yuanling Yuan from playing. I don't think you should penalize players who are going on to higher education from participating in the case where they are still participating in games against strong players.

Just curious - how many of our top players are currently studying out of country and would benefit by the other than CFC proviso?

(I really appreciated Bindi's comments and echo what he said about the Olympiad - I remember flipping back and forth between windows while at work watching one game (Kovylev I think) which ended up as a loss but which I thought was a really well played endgame. Kudoes to the organizers for getting all that stuff online)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast