Thread: Pawn Structure Chess

Blog Entries

Default Pawn Structure Chess

I have the 1995 algebraic edition. Is there any difference (other than the cover) to the 2013 edition? A quick Google search didn't turn up anything obvious.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

That's a book by Soltis. I too have the 1995 edition (I don't know anything about the 2013 edition).

One thing that stood out to me over the years about this book was the instruction about Caro-Slav structures. I'm not sure how useful it was even in a general sense. A lot depends on the pieces that are on the board and where they are, it seems to me. When first learning these openings I had a feeling (because of this book) that I should try to get in ...c5 or ...e5 soon or I'd surely be destroyed in most games. After a while I learned to relax more and instead usually just follow theory or advice I got from books on these openings that I might remember.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

I did end up picking it up (along with the entire Soltis collection - I find his books very well-written and among the easiest chess books to read without a board handy). I believe the major change was going through everything with computers to make sure all the analysis was correct.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter