Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best books for improving?

Blog Entries

Default Best books for improving?

I have a bunch already, but have there been any recent books that are great for people looking to improve from say 1500 to 2000+?

Thanks.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    any recent books
    10,5,3,1 years?

Several to mention:
    How Chess Games are Won and Lost by Lars Bo Hansen
    Pump Up Your Rating by Axel Smith
    Aagard Grandmaster Preparation series

100% I sure that you have enough books to study and improve. The hardest part is to study them (really chess) and play in competitions regularly. Just reading/browsing does not make much impact.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Probably within the past two or three years.

And yes I have enough books already but ... well, you know.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

definitely "my system" of Aron Nimzowitsch

Blog Entries

Yup I definitely have that one... somewhere. Think mine is descriptive though
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Hi Chris

I noticed you've done book reviews on your new blog. Would you mind if I posted some of my own on my blog? I have a number of notes I made on some books that it seems unlikely will be made public anytime soon (I have long hoped in vain to get paid if they did).

Also, are you still the moderator of this forum? Perhaps (regardless) you could tell me if it would be deemed unacceptable under any circumstances to put novel rules I've made up for a strip chess variant on my blog. I haven't seen any forum guidelines in so far as I've searched.

Kevin
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

Hi Kevin,

Of course I don't mind! Review away!

As for strip chess... I'll have to defer that question to Vlad as the current rule-setter. As long as you're not posting pictures and you have some kind of disclaimer at the top ("Don't read this if it might offend you") I don't personally have a problem with it on a blog post, but Vlad gets the final say.

Chris
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Yes, it turns out I traded away my descriptive notation My System a while back. I think I got an endgame book for it. Guess I need to buy it again.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Hi Chris

I noticed you've done book reviews on your new blog. Would you mind if I posted some of my own on my blog? I have a number of notes I made on some books that it seems unlikely will be made public anytime soon (I have long hoped in vain to get paid if they did).

Also, are you still the moderator of this forum? Perhaps (regardless) you could tell me if it would be deemed unacceptable under any circumstances to put novel rules I've made up for a strip chess variant on my blog. I haven't seen any forum guidelines in so far as I've searched.

Kevin

I would keep in mind that it is possible for kids to be reading so I would tread carefully. Also you should avoid sexism as we have a hard enough time keeping young women interested in chess as it is and don't want to add to the idea that chess is something that women don't engage in.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Okay Vlad. I was going to advocate that form of chess for only married couples, fwiw. If you're concerned about the kids, I suppose it may well be too difficult to tread carefully enough (though I don't know what's to stop anyone from googling anything, if they think of it - wikipedia has strip chess entered, albeit in a somewhat dry, generalized way). Not so sure women would reject chess in general because of this variant, though. They certainly haven't rejected poker for a similar reason.

[edit: it may be worth noting that blog entries intially show only the first 10 lines of text - to read more, the viewer has to click on 'Read More', or the title of the blog entry.]
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 09-12-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Grammar
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast