Thread: Open Letter From The Ukraniain Chess Federation To The Canadian Chess Federation

Default Open Letter From The Ukraniain Chess Federation To The Canadian Chess Federation

Open Letter From The Ukraniain Chess Federation To The Canadian Chess FederationLetter from Ukrainian to Canadian Federation
    We have been asked to help disseminate this open letter from the president of the Ukrainian Chess Federation, Viktor Kapustin, to the board of the Canadian Chess Federation.

OPEN LETTER TO THE EXECUTIVE BOARD OF THE CANADIAN CHESS FEDERATION

Dear Friends of Chess,

I use this opportunity to extend to you my deepest respect.

It is known that Canadians of Ukrainian descent have influence in Canadian society and policy. Canada was the first country that recognized Ukraine and established diplomatic relations. The Canadian government has supported Ukraine’s independence from the beginning and continues to do so today against the incursions of Russia on Ukrainian sovereignty. Our states have developed strong economic and cultural ties.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said with respect to our chess federations! I hope that we can develop a strong partnership that would result in coordinated activities such as scholastic chess programs, exchange of trainers, national team matches, and other areas of common interest.

I write to you also on an issue of more immediate mutual concern, that of the Ukrainian Chess Federation’s open letter regarding bringing the matter of Crimea before the General Assembly. As you may be aware, FIDE has refused to allow GA debate on jurisdiction over Crimean chess activity, which will thusly default to Russia after its illegal annexation by the Putin government – an act condemned overwhelmingly by the United Nations and the G-7, condemnation led by Canada in both cases. I hope I can count on the support of the Canadian federation in our efforts to rectify this scandalous state of affairs. In more specific case of this FIDE administration’s misguided loyalty to Russia there are the illegal actions of the FIDE Secretariat in respect Ms. Katerina Lagno’s transfer from Ukraine to the Russian federation.

The FIDE administration of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has become dangerously dependent on and devoted to the Kremlin, a situation all lovers of chess should find intolerable. It is damaging to our sport’s reputation and also harmful to the practical development of sponsorship and governmental relationships. One cannot imagine governments or companies in Ukraine or Canada supporting chess activities organized or sponsored by a regime, corporations, or individuals under EU and Canadian sanctions.

For these reasons among many, the Ukrainian federation nominated the ticket of Garry Kasparov for the FIDE presidency. He has promised to align FIDE with international opinion on such matters and to give fair hearing instead of playing politics and aligning with one isolated nation as Mr. Ilyumzhinov has done. I very much desire that the Canadian federation will join us in supporting Mr. Kasparov and a new FIDE that promotes and supports chess and chess federations.

Yours in chess,

Viktor Kapustin
    President, Ukrainian Chess Federation (FSHU)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Belzberg View Post
    Open Letter From The Ukraniain Chess Federation To The Canadian Chess FederationLetter from Ukrainian to Canadian Federation
    We have been asked to help disseminate this open letter from the president of the Ukrainian Chess Federation, Viktor Kapustin, to the board of the Canadian Chess Federation.

OPEN LETTER TO THE EXECUTIVE BOARD OF THE CANADIAN CHESS FEDERATION

Dear Friends of Chess,

I use this opportunity to extend to you my deepest respect.

It is known that Canadians of Ukrainian descent have influence in Canadian society and policy. Canada was the first country that recognized Ukraine and established diplomatic relations. The Canadian government has supported Ukraine’s independence from the beginning and continues to do so today against the incursions of Russia on Ukrainian sovereignty. Our states have developed strong economic and cultural ties.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said with respect to our chess federations! I hope that we can develop a strong partnership that would result in coordinated activities such as scholastic chess programs, exchange of trainers, national team matches, and other areas of common interest.

I write to you also on an issue of more immediate mutual concern, that of the Ukrainian Chess Federation’s open letter regarding bringing the matter of Crimea before the General Assembly. As you may be aware, FIDE has refused to allow GA debate on jurisdiction over Crimean chess activity, which will thusly default to Russia after its illegal annexation by the Putin government – an act condemned overwhelmingly by the United Nations and the G-7, condemnation led by Canada in both cases. I hope I can count on the support of the Canadian federation in our efforts to rectify this scandalous state of affairs. In more specific case of this FIDE administration’s misguided loyalty to Russia there are the illegal actions of the FIDE Secretariat in respect Ms. Katerina Lagno’s transfer from Ukraine to the Russian federation.

The FIDE administration of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has become dangerously dependent on and devoted to the Kremlin, a situation all lovers of chess should find intolerable. It is damaging to our sport’s reputation and also harmful to the practical development of sponsorship and governmental relationships. One cannot imagine governments or companies in Ukraine or Canada supporting chess activities organized or sponsored by a regime, corporations, or individuals under EU and Canadian sanctions.

For these reasons among many, the Ukrainian federation nominated the ticket of Garry Kasparov for the FIDE presidency. He has promised to align FIDE with international opinion on such matters and to give fair hearing instead of playing politics and aligning with one isolated nation as Mr. Ilyumzhinov has done. I very much desire that the Canadian federation will join us in supporting Mr. Kasparov and a new FIDE that promotes and supports chess and chess federations.

Yours in chess,

Viktor Kapustin
    President, Ukrainian Chess Federation (FSHU)
    This letter is public, I've seen it already on a few internet sites, including a very popular chess-news.ru
    Executive has never made a promised public announcement about the reasons of their endorsement of Ilyumzhinov.
    Are you planning to answer this open letter?

Blog Entries

The Chess Federation of Canada along with most national chess federations will not be supporting Garry Kasparov for the FIDE presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The Chess Federation of Canada along with most national chess federations will not be supporting Garry Kasparov for the FIDE presidency.
    Mr. President, please stop telling me what the "most national chess federations" will do. You've better answer my questions:
    1.Where is your reply to the Open Letter to the CFC by the Ukrainian Chess Federation?
    2.Where is a promised announcement about the reasons of executives' endorsement of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Starr View Post
    Mr. President, please stop telling me what the "most national chess federations" will do. You've better answer my questions:
    1.Where is your reply to the Open Letter to the CFC by the Ukrainian Chess Federation?
    2.Where is a promised announcement about the reasons of executives' endorsement of Kirsan Ilyumzhinov?
    1. The Chess Federation of Canada along with most national chess federations will not be supporting Garry Kasparov for the FIDE presidency.

2. Forums are going down August 1st so maybe when the forums are back up again or perhaps after the FIDE election. Who knows when the muse will strike again?