Thread: 3C. Election of Voting Members from Non-Affiliated Provinces / Territories - SK

Default 3C. Election of Voting Members from Non-Affiliated Provinces / Territories - SK

Mr. Robert Sasata of SK has come forward following the close of nominations Tuesday and expressed a willingness to serve. His membership is current. He has previously served as a Governor for SK several times.

Because it's after the close of nominations, what I propose while nominating him is that we leave nominations for SK open for other candidates till the end of voting on Friday and acclaim him if there are no other nominations or objection from the floor.

Anybody have any input on this? (This nomination would have been entirely regular and in order if placed 36 hours ago - and the main reason I'm seeking Governor / VM support is to vary the agenda to allow this)

I note en passant that the President does have the right to fill this spot outside the AGM if still vacant at that time but it seems silly to me not to seek Assembly approval since the meeting is in progress!

Blog Entries

I didn't realize that SK was no longer formerly affiliated (although I know they sent us their holdings). I'm in favour of Robert being named the SK Governor, but you are right - to follow proper protocol it should wait until the meeting is over, now.

My point is that the Handbook doesn't specify a particular point during an incoming AGM when such an appointment has to be made our tradition is that it has always been done at the beginning of the meeting.

My feeling (supported by Vlad and Fred) is that if we are going to vary the order of the agenda to allow nominations after the close of nominations, we should at least have VM consent or at least absence of non-consent. As for SK, members viewing the financials will note that the CFC is holding funds given by the SK federation to us in trust for SK pending their re-organization and re-affiliation.

(Most constitutions have a dissolution clause specifying what happens to our assets in this case and it's a clause that most of us who have been involved in provincial affairs ignore as we hope it will never be used - but it's there since the alternative to send it all to the provincial or federal government. Regardless of your political views either government or CFC I doubt many reading this would want THAT!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I didn't realize that SK was no longer formerly affiliated (although I know they sent us their holdings). I'm in favour of Robert being named the SK Governor, but you are right - to follow proper protocol it should wait until the meeting is over, now.
    Did you mean to write "formally affiliated"?

My guiding principle is that nominations made at the meeting (or bids) deserve to be dealt with at the meeting. Of course if that happens outside the formally prescribed time for these nominations then the Secretary gets to tear his hair out and hope he gets feedback from both Executive and the meeting fast enough to present to the meeting what is reasonable and fair and hope the meeting agrees. (grin) In these situations, you make a reasonable guess what would be a fair solution, listen to see if anybody has an angle you haven't considered and hope your suggestion is received favorably!

I think we all agree Saskatchewan deserves representation no matter the present state of the SCF. I say again - had I had the nomination before Tuesday at 1800 I could have put it forward and none would have complained. This is situation that has always been decided at the meeting and since we've heard no objections, In a live meeting we all know that had no nominations been made during that agenda item somebody would have said later on 'Mr. President, I know we had no nominations earlier but we now have a candidate and if no one objections I'd like to nominate Mr. X' In this situation he would be acclaimed in 2-3 minutes and the meeting would move on. Anybody disagree with me? In an online meeting things are more laborious but we reach the same conclusions!

In any case, stuff initiated in the AGM should be completed at the AGM wherever possible rather than be left to the incoming Executive.

I hope Mr Sasata does a great job as a Governor / VM in 2014-15!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Field View Post
    Did you mean to write "formally affiliated"?
    Exactly !! :-)