Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 9b. Bids: 2015 cycc

Most young chess players in Montreal (and Quebec) are from private elementary or high schools, which all have different dates for the spring break. I'm not saying it's not a good idea to organize it in March... But it would surely hurt a lot the attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    Most young chess players in Montreal (and Quebec) are from private elementary or high schools, which all have different dates for the spring break. I'm not saying it's not a good idea to organize it in March... But it would surely hurt a lot the attendance.
    Felix,
    That's why we need working Youth Committee representing different provinces.

We have a problem:
    The traditional dates for CYCC:
    - conflict with PanAm YCC,
    - don't leave time for proper registration and preparation for WYCC,
    - too late to qualify players for NAYCC.

We could solve this problem by moving CYCC to March.
    But this solution has it's own drawback: players from some provinces have to miss 2 days of school.

What is better?
    We need a forum of all interested parties to decide.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

I have been in touch with a personal friend who is a School Board Trustee and she confirms that (1) the provincial government does NOT require specific dates for spring break so local boards select their own dates and (2) that 7 of the 9 Vancouver area school districts are doing Mar 7-22. She's not sure what the other two or the BC independent schools are up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    But this solution has it's own drawback: players from some provinces have to miss 2 days of school.
    Regrettably assuming the dates are as stated above, that's pretty much inevitable no matter what we do.

Quebec doesn't overlap with ON at all, BC does. My personal preference would be 03/14-21 but this is the sort of situation that makes me glad I'm not national Youth Coordinator
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 07-14-2014 at 12:03 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234