Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9b. Bids: 2015 cycc

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Vadim Tyspin kindly did some research for me that showed that every March/Spring break is different across Canada. The best we could hope for was to overlap one weekend between Ontario and Quebec and leave the other 8 provinces and the various territories out in the cold. Also at March break the flight prices go up. I will talk to people at the CYCC in Montreal but it looks difficult to change unless we can convince 10 provinces to synch their vacation schedules.
    Sorry, Vlad, if I was not clear enough...

The suggestion was to organize CYCC during March break in organizing province.
    Players from other provinces could take a couple of days off schools - parents see that as not a big problem.
    After all, WYCC participants usually miss school for a couple of weeks...
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Sorry, Vlad, if I was not clear enough...

The suggestion was to organize CYCC during March break in organizing province.
    Players from other provinces could take a couple of days off schools - parents see that as not a big problem.
    After all, WYCC participants usually miss school for a couple of weeks...
    At the moment I would see this as a prescription for a very small CYCC in provinces outside of Ontario and Quebec. We will talk to people though I am not sure that we want to conduct any grand experiments with the prospect of a failed tournament as a result. Even within Ontario the spring break for high school is different for grade school and high school. I would rather do what has been shown to work and put the youth program on a solid financial footing than to experiment now.

As you probably know, spring breaks vary across the country.

It would certainly make the junior coordinator's job MUCH easier if there was a week all youth were out of school! (Chess is not of course the only sport with national championships where this is a problem)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    As you probably know, spring breaks vary across the country.

It would certainly make the junior coordinator's job MUCH easier if there was a week all youth were out of school! (Chess is not of course the only sport with national championships where this is a problem)
    They even vary within a province and between school systems.

Well naturally if it went strictly by a youth coordinator's convenience nothing would ever get done.

That's gotta be the most maligned Executive position of all since we seem to go from firestorm to firestorm with folks regularly trying for special treatment for their kids or insisting unfairness is taking place. Having 3 20-somethings of my own I do understand but some folks take it much further than others! Things now are quite different from in my junior days.

Bottom line is from 20+ years experience both provincially and nationally I know which positions turn over from year to year more than others. Just saying.

We have a problem folks.

Hindsight being 20-20 we should have specified voting times for consideration of the bid in the initial agenda but did not. (This is only the 2nd year of the online AGM and we are still learning)

I do think it would be useful to vote on the bid during this meeting. My personal preference would be to open voting ASAP on the bid and keep polls open to a reasonable closing time (presumably 2-3 or as many days as are deemed desirable).

If this means the meeting goes a couple days longer than expected that's fine - if it's the only agenda item still open that's fine too.

My point is that in general a bid presented at the meeting should be voted at the meeting rather than held over for the incoming board.

I would appreciate Voting Member input on a reasonably suitable opening and closing times for a vote on the bid. Given the bid is for Windsor I would prefer not to have the 2013-2014 President dictating the polling times and I'm quite sure Vlad would feel the same way.

I am open to anything reasonable and once we arrive at that plan on making a mass VM e-mail preferably tonight.

what say you all?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    We have a problem folks.

Hindsight being 20-20 we should have specified voting times for consideration of the bid in the initial agenda but did not. (This is only the 2nd year of the online AGM and we are still learning)

I do think it would be useful to vote on the bid during this meeting. My personal preference would be to open voting ASAP on the bid and keep polls open to a reasonable closing time (presumably 2-3 or as many days as are deemed desirable).

If this means the meeting goes a couple days longer than expected that's fine - if it's the only agenda item still open that's fine too.

My point is that in general a bid presented at the meeting should be voted at the meeting rather than held over for the incoming board.

I would appreciate Voting Member input on a reasonably suitable opening and closing times for a vote on the bid. Given the bid is for Windsor I would prefer not to have the 2013-2014 President dictating the polling times and I'm quite sure Vlad would feel the same way.

I am open to anything reasonable and once we arrive at that plan on making a mass VM e-mail preferably tonight.

what say you all?
    Yes voting for Windsor's bid can begin as soon as the election polls close, Lyle. The poll should close at the end of the meeting.

VOTING MEMBERS - Voting to accept or reject the Windsor 2015 CYCC bid is now underway in thread 7D "The Voting Booth" Windsor 2015 CYCC Bid and voting continues to the close of this meeting scheduled for 2200 ET Sunday July 13th

Blog Entries

We got such strong signal at the GTCL AGM:
    http://www.torontochess.org/drupal6/node/588

"chess parents agreed that the main point was to have the event early, to coordinate better with other nations’ YCC events and with the WYCC, the NAYCC, and the PanAm. A March break weekend was suggested. March Break is not standard across different Canadian school boards, but missing a couple extra days of school, even if they were not March Break holidays, was considered a perfectly acceptable option."
    I look forward to seeing your bid.

We got such strong signal at the GTCL AGM:
    http://www.torontochess.org/drupal6/node/588

"chess parents agreed that the main point was to have the event early, to coordinate better with other nations’ YCC events and with the WYCC, the NAYCC, and the PanAm. A March break weekend was suggested. March Break is not standard across different Canadian school boards, but missing a couple extra days of school, even if they were not March Break holidays, was considered a perfectly acceptable option."
    I don't recall hearing anything concerning "chess parents" being consulted anywhere in the Vancouver area and can only conclude by the GTCL reference that only those in Toronto were consulted. As a Vancouverite who has lived in Toronto let me state bluntly that there is a tendency to survey folks in the Toronto area and then state that the survey fairly represents the whole country - it wasn't true when I lived there and it's not so now either. Torontonians do not as a group tend to fully appreciate how much that assumption annoys the heck out of the rest of us!

In any case, the Executive position I most empathize with is the Youth Coordinator since there is NO common spring break period (not even within Ontario itself!) and pretty much any selected date is inevitably going to offend somebody. This is likely to be the case even if the Youth Coordinator combines the best features of JFK, Jesus Christ, Mother Teresa and Mahatma Gandhi.

This is of course a problem for MOST sports organizations, not just chess.

Realistically speaking unless the exact date is set by the CFC as a condition of the bid different bidders are going to come up with different proposed dates. If this is the route the Assembly wishes to go we need to discuss this and arrive at a policy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast