Quote Originally Posted by David Lavin
Perhaps it is time for National Tournament Director to be an Executive position. The mandate would be to help organizers and TD's across the country.
As you may be aware, Stephen Boyd is the chief tournament director of the French Chess Federation. It is his paid job!

John,
There is nothing wrong with Passport to Chess (unless it still carries the Box 7339 address. I wonder if we can recover that address?). Its message is timeless. With the whole CFC deal now about to change, that opens an opportunity, without having to recycle boxes of out-of-date brochures. I'm having a logical short-circuit with the combined ideas of a free brochure--and you handing them out to section winners. I would have thought that everybody could get a free brochure, and that section winners might get chess books (paid for from the entry fees).

The BCCF Constitution (not the bylaws) once held a requirement that the TD had to accept a fee. The minimum fee was not going to make anybody rich, but the thought was out there, front and centre.