Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spammer discussion

How do these end up getting registered?

Well, we're desperate for members...

Chris emailed me that he had tightened up the registration process... not tight enough, apparently.

Default maybe they aren't really registered...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft
    How do these end up getting registered?
    Perhaps there are exploits in the board software that permit a knowledgeable spammer to inject posts... Dunno. I suppose it is possible that it is rogue registration but I imagine it would be something like using a fake name like "Cyrano DeBergerac" that slipped through...

In most cases, it is always necessary to update boards/blogs/forums.
    3.5.4 (this) vs 3.7.3 (newest)

+

more moderators would certainly help.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; 09-03-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries

I was going to upgrade to the new version, but they jacked the upgrade price up from $30 to $60. USD.

This software has the older image-verification program which is more easily bypassed. The alternative is to do what Chesstalk does and moderate every single new member. Which unfortunately really annoys people, and some people like any excuse to get annoyed

I suppose we'll probably have to. The funny thing is the spammers found this new forum VERY quickly... it's not the same link as the old forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon
    I was going to upgrade to the new version, but they jacked the upgrade price up from $30 to $60. USD
    ehh, mhh, is there any free version?

Blog Entries

no.

There's phpbb which is free and is really terrible. Worse than this old version, definitely. The previous best free one, Invision Powerboard, is now actually more expensive than vBulletin.

Hi Chris:

Another spammer has hit us with 2 threads. Somehow the registrations will have to be approved.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon
    I suppose we'll probably have to. The funny thing is the spammers found this new forum VERY quickly... it's not the same link as the old forum.
    Bots and/or fleets of bots can scan large IP blocks very quickly looking for potential targets... Better upgrade ASAP.

Unless the Federation is going to approve registrations and require people to use their own names, this board will deteriorate into the mire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast